ZincHTTPComponents SSO breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream

ZincHTTPComponents SSO breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream

alistairgrant
Hi Sven,

Executing:

Metacello new
    baseline: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
    repository: 'github://svenvc/zinc/repository';
    load: #(SSO)

In recent Pharo 8 images breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream by
redefining the class to remove many of the instance variables.

I guess this is due to changes to ZnBufferedReadWriteStream made in
the last few days, but the result is that the image is unusable (all
access to the changes file cause exceptions).

Where should an issue be raised?

Thanks,
Alistair

Pharo8.0.0
Build information:
Pharo-8.0.0+build.798.sha.ae566532ed60b60d669aff37d4d38b86241a7c9e (64
Bit)
Ubuntu 16.04

Re: ZincHTTPComponents SSO breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream

ducasse
Hello Alistair

Here :)
I’m sure that we will fix it.
Do you have a test or something to get the problem.

S.

> On 28 Sep 2019, at 09:45, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Sven,
>
> Executing:
>
> Metacello new
>    baseline: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
>    repository: 'github://svenvc/zinc/repository';
>    load: #(SSO)
>
> In recent Pharo 8 images breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream by
> redefining the class to remove many of the instance variables.
>
> I guess this is due to changes to ZnBufferedReadWriteStream made in
> the last few days, but the result is that the image is unusable (all
> access to the changes file cause exceptions).
>
> Where should an issue be raised?
>
> Thanks,
> Alistair
>
> Pharo8.0.0
> Build information:
> Pharo-8.0.0+build.798.sha.ae566532ed60b60d669aff37d4d38b86241a7c9e (64
> Bit)
> Ubuntu 16.04

Re: ZincHTTPComponents SSO breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream

alistairgrant
Hi Stef,

Just evaluate the Metacello expression from my original email :-)

You'll get multiple debuggers open and the image will lock up.  A user
interrupt will get input working again, but source code is no longer
available in the system browser.  You'll have to kill the process
externally as it fails while trying to exit.

Cheers,
Alistair

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 09:51, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Alistair
>
> Here :)
> I’m sure that we will fix it.
> Do you have a test or something to get the problem.
>
> S.
>
> > On 28 Sep 2019, at 09:45, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sven,
> >
> > Executing:
> >
> > Metacello new
> >    baseline: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
> >    repository: 'github://svenvc/zinc/repository';
> >    load: #(SSO)
> >
> > In recent Pharo 8 images breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream by
> > redefining the class to remove many of the instance variables.
> >
> > I guess this is due to changes to ZnBufferedReadWriteStream made in
> > the last few days, but the result is that the image is unusable (all
> > access to the changes file cause exceptions).
> >
> > Where should an issue be raised?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alistair
> >
> > Pharo8.0.0
> > Build information:
> > Pharo-8.0.0+build.798.sha.ae566532ed60b60d669aff37d4d38b86241a7c9e (64
> > Bit)
> > Ubuntu 16.04

Re: ZincHTTPComponents SSO breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream

ducasse

> On 28 Sep 2019, at 09:56, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Stef,
>
> Just evaluate the Metacello expression from my original email :-)

Oki

> You'll get multiple debuggers open and the image will lock up.  A user
> interrupt will get input working again, but source code is no longer
> available in the system browser.  You'll have to kill the process
> externally as it fails while trying to exit.
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair
>

> On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 09:51, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Alistair
>>
>> Here :)
>> I’m sure that we will fix it.
>> Do you have a test or something to get the problem.
>>
>> S.
>>
>>> On 28 Sep 2019, at 09:45, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sven,
>>>
>>> Executing:
>>>
>>> Metacello new
>>>   baseline: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
>>>   repository: 'github://svenvc/zinc/repository';
>>>   load: #(SSO)
>>>
>>> In recent Pharo 8 images breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream by
>>> redefining the class to remove many of the instance variables.
>>>
>>> I guess this is due to changes to ZnBufferedReadWriteStream made in
>>> the last few days, but the result is that the image is unusable (all
>>> access to the changes file cause exceptions).
>>>
>>> Where should an issue be raised?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alistair
>>>
>>> Pharo8.0.0
>>> Build information:
>>> Pharo-8.0.0+build.798.sha.ae566532ed60b60d669aff37d4d38b86241a7c9e (64
>>> Bit)
>>> Ubuntu 16.04

Re: ZincHTTPComponents SSO breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream

ducasse
I confirm the problem

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4764

> On 28 Sep 2019, at 09:59, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 28 Sep 2019, at 09:56, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> Just evaluate the Metacello expression from my original email :-)
>
> Oki
>

>> You'll get multiple debuggers open and the image will lock up.  A user
>> interrupt will get input working again, but source code is no longer
>> available in the system browser.  You'll have to kill the process
>> externally as it fails while trying to exit.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alistair
>>

>> On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 09:51, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Alistair
>>>
>>> Here :)
>>> I’m sure that we will fix it.
>>> Do you have a test or something to get the problem.
>>>
>>> S.

Re: ZincHTTPComponents SSO breaks ZnBufferedReadWriteStream

alistairgrant
Just for reference, some of the PRs associated with the issue:

- https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/4726
- https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/4739
- https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/4752