ZnBufferedReadWriteStream vs SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream

ZnBufferedReadWriteStream vs SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

A new implementation of ZnBufferedReadWriteStream was added to Pharo 7, which gets again (partially) overwritten by Zinc HTTP Components, breaking code loading.

In Pharo 8 this was fixed by renaming these special (and now changed) class(es) to SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream so that they are moved out of Zinc HTTP Components and cannot be overwritten/broken.

Either the last 3 commits on the Pharo 7 branch must be reversed, or the fixes/renaming/usage of Pharo 8 must be back ported as well.

This is urgent.

Sven

Re: ZnBufferedReadWriteStream vs SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I also do not understand how this was done in Pharo 7 *before* it was finalised/fully debugged in Pharo 8.

Back-porting must be done very carefully.

> On 11 Oct 2019, at 14:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> A new implementation of ZnBufferedReadWriteStream was added to Pharo 7, which gets again (partially) overwritten by Zinc HTTP Components, breaking code loading.
>
> In Pharo 8 this was fixed by renaming these special (and now changed) class(es) to SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream so that they are moved out of Zinc HTTP Components and cannot be overwritten/broken.
>
> Either the last 3 commits on the Pharo 7 branch must be reversed, or the fixes/renaming/usage of Pharo 8 must be back ported as well.
>
> This is urgent.
>
> Sven

Re: ZnBufferedReadWriteStream vs SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 11 Oct 2019, at 14:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> or the fixes/renaming/usage of Pharo 8 must be back ported as well.

it would be the following change

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/4752
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/commit/0f9b7d323e87ffb957b8b638d6867b1ad1ca3fe2

that needs to be applied to Pharo 7

but since this is quite complex, it would be be done by the original author, tesonep

also, please make sure Zn can be loaded safely on top

Re: ZnBufferedReadWriteStream vs SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream

CyrilFerlicot
On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also do not understand how this was done in Pharo 7 *before* it was finalised/fully debugged in Pharo 8.
>
> Back-porting must be done very carefully.

Hi Sven,

One thing that must be know is that everything going in the Pharo 7
branch is not released directly.
The changes you talk about are in no release currently. A release is
launched manually currently when important changes are backported and
stabilized.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: ZnBufferedReadWriteStream vs SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 11 Oct 2019, at 14:49, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I also do not understand how this was done in Pharo 7 *before* it was finalised/fully debugged in Pharo 8.
>>
>> Back-porting must be done very carefully.
>>

> Hi Sven,
>
> One thing that must be know is that everything going in the Pharo 7
> branch is not released directly.
> The changes you talk about are in no release currently. A release is
> launched manually currently when important changes are backported and
> stabilized.

Hmm, OK, the /64/70+vm zeroconf version is indeed Pharo 7.0.4 build: 168, commit: ccd1f64 which does still load Zn correctly, I just tested that again.

But how come some users are reporting problems then ? Is there a way they can access that unreleased version, maybe via the launcher ?

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: ZnBufferedReadWriteStream vs SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream

alistairgrant
Hi Sven,

On Fri., 11 Oct. 2019, 15:05 Sven Van Caekenberghe, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 Oct 2019, at 14:49, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I also do not understand how this was done in Pharo 7 *before* it was finalised/fully debugged in Pharo 8.
>>
>> Back-porting must be done very carefully.
>>

> Hi Sven,
>
> One thing that must be know is that everything going in the Pharo 7
> branch is not released directly.
> The changes you talk about are in no release currently. A release is
> launched manually currently when important changes are backported and
> stabilized.

Hmm, OK, the /64/70+vm zeroconf version is indeed Pharo 7.0.4 build: 168, commit: ccd1f64 which does still load Zn correctly, I just tested that again.

But how come some users are reporting problems then ? Is there a way they can access that unreleased version, maybe via the launcher ?

Exactly... The launcher appears to download the latest snapshot.

Cheers,
Alistair
(on phone)

Re: ZnBufferedReadWriteStream vs SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 11 Oct 2019, at 17:03, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Sven,
>

> On Fri., 11 Oct. 2019, 15:05 Sven Van Caekenberghe, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On 11 Oct 2019, at 14:49, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I also do not understand how this was done in Pharo 7 *before* it was finalised/fully debugged in Pharo 8.
> >>
> >> Back-porting must be done very carefully.
> >>

> > Hi Sven,
> >
> > One thing that must be know is that everything going in the Pharo 7
> > branch is not released directly.
> > The changes you talk about are in no release currently. A release is
> > launched manually currently when important changes are backported and
> > stabilized.
>
> Hmm, OK, the /64/70+vm zeroconf version is indeed Pharo 7.0.4 build: 168, commit: ccd1f64 which does still load Zn correctly, I just tested that again.
>
> But how come some users are reporting problems then ? Is there a way they can access that unreleased version, maybe via the launcher ?
>
> Exactly... The launcher appears to download the latest snapshot.

That is not good then, at least we should tell regular users *not* to do that, but pick the latest *stable* release.

> Cheers,
> Alistair
> (on phone)

Re: ZnBufferedReadWriteStream vs SourceFileBufferedReadWriteStream/SourceFileCharacterReadWriteStream

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> it would be the following change

This seems to be non-backward compatible (e.g. removal of `FileReference >>
binaryReadWriteStream`). That doesn't seem like a good idea on a released
stable version with a new version due for release in months.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean