classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ZnClient - how suppress popup notifications

Jimmie Houchin-5

Before I get to my problem. I want to thank Sven for the huge effort
that had to be made to provide all of the Zinc networking tools. Thank you.

I am using ZnClient in an app. It is working fine. But I do not want any
UI Notifications. This will eventually be headless on a server. But
right now in development when the internet goes out I get a pop up from
NameLookupFailure which offers me the options of "Give Up" or "Retry".

I need to suppress this popup. I already have Error handling code which
will catch NameLookupFailure among many other network based errors.

Also, is there a better way to check if the network is up other than
simply making a request and either getting a successful response or an
Error?

Thanks for any help.

Jimmie

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ZnClient - how suppress popup notifications

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Jimmie,

> On 2 Sep 2020, at 20:29, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Before I get to my problem. I want to thank Sven for the huge effort that had to be made to provide all of the Zinc networking tools. Thank you.

Thanks, you're welcome.

> I am using ZnClient in an app. It is working fine. But I do not want any UI Notifications. This will eventually be headless on a server. But right now in development when the internet goes out I get a pop up from NameLookupFailure which offers me the options of "Give Up" or "Retry".
>
> I need to suppress this popup. I already have Error handling code which will catch NameLookupFailure among many other network based errors.

I know this is confusing, but this is not a problem. You can simply catch the NameLookupFailure and this will work as expected. The problem is the custom/overwritten NameLookupFailure>>#defaultAction which is doing UI stuff (although this gets handled differently in a headless image as well). IMHO this should be removed.

ZnClientTest>>#testIfFailNonExistingHost is an example that does more or less what you want.

> Also, is there a better way to check if the network is up other than simply making a request and either getting a successful response or an Error?

This is not such an easy problem to solve. Doing something simple, like accessing a known host, is one way (but never 100% since that host might be down on itself).

There is also the problem of timeouts (i.e. very slow networks).

One of my experimental projects, https://github.com/svenvc/NeoDNS, does contains something called NeoNetworkState that tests internet connectivity by doing a DNS call. But this probably goes to far.

HTH,

Sven

> Thanks for any help.
>
>
> Jimmie

Reply | Threaded
|

Jimmie Houchin-5

On 9/2/20 2:36 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi Jimmie,
>
>> On 2 Sep 2020, at 20:29, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Before I get to my problem. I want to thank Sven for the huge effort that had to be made to provide all of the Zinc networking tools. Thank you.
> Thanks, you're welcome.
>
>> I am using ZnClient in an app. It is working fine. But I do not want any UI Notifications. This will eventually be headless on a server. But right now in development when the internet goes out I get a pop up from NameLookupFailure which offers me the options of "Give Up" or "Retry".
>>
>> I need to suppress this popup. I already have Error handling code which will catch NameLookupFailure among many other network based errors.
> I know this is confusing, but this is not a problem. You can simply catch the NameLookupFailure and this will work as expected. The problem is the custom/overwritten NameLookupFailure>>#defaultAction which is doing UI stuff (although this gets handled differently in a headless image as well). IMHO this should be removed.
>
> ZnClientTest>>#testIfFailNonExistingHost is an example that does more or less what you want.

Yes. In the current stack trace in the debugger it never reaches my
Error handling and hits the #defaultAction method.

Thanks. That puts me on the path I want to go.

I probably need to learn to read the tests for or as documentation for
code. I am not currently in that habit.

>> Also, is there a better way to check if the network is up other than simply making a request and either getting a successful response or an Error?
> This is not such an easy problem to solve. Doing something simple, like accessing a known host, is one way (but never 100% since that host might be down on itself).
>
> There is also the problem of timeouts (i.e. very slow networks).
>
> One of my experimental projects, https://github.com/svenvc/NeoDNS, does contains something called NeoNetworkState that tests internet connectivity by doing a DNS call. But this probably goes to far.
>
> HTH,

Helps tremendously. Currently when I get a network error, I have a loop
which polls the least resource consuming URL on the server that I need
to access. I exit the loop upon a successful response and continue with
my app's main loop. I figure that lets me know that networking is back
up and the server I need is responding. Covers all my bases. I just
wanted to know if I was overlooking something that all you smart people
who spend way more time than I do on this stuff had a solution. I
couldn't think of an easy generic solution that could be created.

Again thanks.

>
> Sven
>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>>
>> Jimmie
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
In any case,

[ ZnClient new get: 'http://host-does-not-exist-123123.com' ] on: NetworkError do: [ #myFailure ]

returns #myFailure and does not invoke the #defaultAction, nor any UI.

Like I said, you can just catch the exception you want.

> On 2 Sep 2020, at 22:15, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> On 9/2/20 2:36 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> Hi Jimmie,
>>
>>> On 2 Sep 2020, at 20:29, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Before I get to my problem. I want to thank Sven for the huge effort that had to be made to provide all of the Zinc networking tools. Thank you.
>> Thanks, you're welcome.
>>
>>> I am using ZnClient in an app. It is working fine. But I do not want any UI Notifications. This will eventually be headless on a server. But right now in development when the internet goes out I get a pop up from NameLookupFailure which offers me the options of "Give Up" or "Retry".
>>>
>>> I need to suppress this popup. I already have Error handling code which will catch NameLookupFailure among many other network based errors.
>> I know this is confusing, but this is not a problem. You can simply catch the NameLookupFailure and this will work as expected. The problem is the custom/overwritten NameLookupFailure>>#defaultAction which is doing UI stuff (although this gets handled differently in a headless image as well). IMHO this should be removed.
>>
>> ZnClientTest>>#testIfFailNonExistingHost is an example that does more or less what you want.
>
>
> Yes. In the current stack trace in the debugger it never reaches my Error handling and hits the #defaultAction method.
>
>
> Thanks. That puts me on the path I want to go.
>
> I probably need to learn to read the tests for or as documentation for code. I am not currently in that habit.
>
>
>>> Also, is there a better way to check if the network is up other than simply making a request and either getting a successful response or an Error?
>> This is not such an easy problem to solve. Doing something simple, like accessing a known host, is one way (but never 100% since that host might be down on itself).
>>
>> There is also the problem of timeouts (i.e. very slow networks).
>>
>> One of my experimental projects, https://github.com/svenvc/NeoDNS, does contains something called NeoNetworkState that tests internet connectivity by doing a DNS call. But this probably goes to far.
>>
>> HTH,
>
> Helps tremendously. Currently when I get a network error, I have a loop which polls the least resource consuming URL on the server that I need to access. I exit the loop upon a successful response and continue with my app's main loop. I figure that lets me know that networking is back up and the server I need is responding. Covers all my bases. I just wanted to know if I was overlooking something that all you smart people who spend way more time than I do on this stuff had a solution. I couldn't think of an easy generic solution that could be created.
>
> Again thanks.
>
>
>>
>> Sven
>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>>
>>> Jimmie