Zodiac long-term streaming

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
My image is connected to an ssl streaming server with Zodiac... Okay, right off the bat, how cool is that?! Thanks, Sven!

Anyway, using "ZnClient streaming: true; post: 'https://', url contents: data", I have a ZdcSecureSocketStream waiting for more data. Is there a way to specify "no timeout"? Since the connection is only good for 24 hours, I was thinking to just set the timeout to be a little longer than that, but I was curious.

Thanks,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Zodiac long-term streaming

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 27 Oct 2012, at 18:39, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My image is connected to an ssl streaming server with Zodiac... Okay, right
> off the bat, how cool is that?! Thanks, Sven!

You're welcome. It is however the result of a collective effort by many people.

> Anyway, using "ZnClient streaming: true; post: 'https://', url contents:
> data", I have a ZdcSecureSocketStream waiting for more data. Is there a way
> to specify "no timeout"? Since the connection is only good for 24 hours, I
> was thinking to just set the timeout to be a little longer than that, but I
> was curious.

Yes, I guess you could set an extreme timeout, like

        ZnClient new
                timeout: 24*60*60;
                …

A real indefinite 'forever' timeout is considered bad form by many. Having a defined timeout and then looping expresses your intention clearer, makes you aware of the infinite loop and gives you a chance to do something useful (logging, resetting stuff, ..).

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Zodiac long-term streaming

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
Yes, I guess you could set an extreme timeout, like
... timeout: 24*60*60;
A real indefinite 'forever' timeout is considered bad form by many
Sounds like we're on the same page... I'll keep the daily timeout, although I'll write "1 day asSeconds" because... well isn't that why we love Smalltalk ;)

Thanks again,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean