Zombie classes

Fernando Rodríguez
Hi,

I wanted to remove all the classes in a test package, so I selected
that package in the system browser, selected all the classes and used
the remove popup menu.

However, the classes are still there, somewhere. I can use them from a
workspace, but if I try to find them in the Browser, I get an error
saying that this class is not available for browsing.

What the heck is going on? How can I get rid of those clases?

Re: Zombie classes

Ian Bartholomew-19
Fernando,

> I wanted to remove all the classes in a test package, so I selected
> that package in the system browser, selected all the classes and used
> the remove popup menu.

You used the popup menu that says "Remove from package"?  If so then that is
all it does - removes that classes from the package - but _not_ from the
image.

> However, the classes are still there, somewhere. I can use them from a
> workspace, but if I try to find them in the Browser, I get an error
> saying that this class is not available for browsing.

You are using the SystemBrowser.  To display a class it also needs to be
able to display that the package the class belongs to.  You removed the
class from the  package, so the class is now unpackaged, and the
SystemBrowser is therefore unable to diisplay it.

> What the heck is going on? How can I get rid of those clases?

Use the ClassBrowser (it doesn't care if a class in unpackaged), search for
and delete the class(es)

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Zombie classes

Ian Bartholomew-19
Fernando,

I just re-read your post and realised I'd responded to what I _thought_
you'd written, not what was actually in your post.

> I wanted to remove all the classes in a test package, so I selected
> that package in the system browser, selected all the classes and used
> the remove popup menu.

I assumed you meant "package browser" rather than "system browser".  This
would seem more likely as ...

(a) You can select multiple classes in the PackageBrowser but not in the
SystemBrowser.
(b) The SystemBrowser doesn't have a "Remove" option on the pop up menu
(unless you mean Refactoring/Remove?), the PackageBrowser does - although it
does say "Remove from package".
(c) Removing classes using the PackageBrowser would have the effect you
describe.

Did you mean "package browser", or have I missed the point again?

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Zombie classes

Fernando Rodríguez
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:38:37 -0000, "Ian Bartholomew"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Fernando,
>
>I just re-read your post and realised I'd responded to what I _thought_
>you'd written, not what was actually in your post.

No, actually you described exactly what happened. I got rid of them
using the Class Browser.

>Did you mean "package browser", or have I missed the point again?

Now I'm not sure anymore, I don't remembder, but it must have been the
package browser.