Zoomable UI

Igor Stasenko
This is where, i think we should be heading:

http://ahead.com

And this is why i think, a graphics frameworks should be vector based,
not a pixel based one.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Zoomable UI

Tudor Girba
I would be a very happy user for something line that :)

Doru

On 19 Apr 2010, at 19:32, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> This is where, i think we should be heading:
>
> http://ahead.com
>
> And this is why i think, a graphics frameworks should be vector based,
> not a pixel based one.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
  Tomorrow is a possibility.
  Today is a challenge."

Re: Zoomable UI

Yes!
if you ask me I would have loved that Squeak develops such vision and pharo deals with the low level ugly bits.
This would have been a clear win-win situation...

Stef

On Apr 19, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> This is where, i think we should be heading:
>
> http://ahead.com
>
> And this is why i think, a graphics frameworks should be vector based,
> not a pixel based one.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Zoomable UI

igor

do you think that we got have a svg canvas: as a merge between what you show us at Brest -- with the tiger and using the rome cnavas -- having a dedicated subclass for svg.

Stef

On Apr 19, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> This is where, i think we should be heading:
>
> http://ahead.com
>
> And this is why i think, a graphics frameworks should be vector based,
> not a pixel based one.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Zoomable UI

Igor Stasenko
On 19 April 2010 21:41, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> igor
>
> do you think that we got have a svg canvas: as a merge between what you show us at Brest -- with the tiger and using the rome cnavas -- having a dedicated subclass for svg.

Well, the problem is, that the above frameworks putting us into a constraints.
While, we can do things like that
(http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch25.html)
ourselves, without using 3rd party stuff.

I know, it sounds like NIH syndrome, but i am concerned, that using
rome or svg we will be able to render a 10 browser windows on a
desktop with 25 frames/second rate.
The above stuff may be fast enough, when you updating only a portions
of the display surface (like currently Morphic does and optimized for
that).
But things like zoom-in or zoom out, obviously require a full desktop
update at each frame, so we need a framework which can support a
decent frame rate for this.
This means, that such framework should not rely on a
techniques/optimizations, which require updating only a portions of
screen,
but instead, its throughput should be high enough to redraw a full
screen each 1/25 second.

> Stef
>
> On Apr 19, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> This is where, i think we should be heading:
>>
>> http://ahead.com
>>
>> And this is why i think, a graphics frameworks should be vector based,
>> not a pixel based one.
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Zoomable UI

Chris Muller-3
I would think a zoomable UI would be very doable in Croquet..

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is where, i think we should be heading:
>
> http://ahead.com
>
> And this is why i think, a graphics frameworks should be vector based,
> not a pixel based one.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Zoomable UI

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 08:32:31PM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> This is where, i think we should be heading:
>
> http://ahead.com
>
> And this is why i think, a graphics frameworks should be vector based,
> not a pixel based one.

Of course you know of Juan's work in this direction:

  http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Index.html

Dave

Re: Zoomable UI

Douglas Brebner
On 19/04/2010 18:32, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> This is where, i think we should be heading:
>
> http://ahead.com
>
> And this is why i think, a graphics frameworks should be vector based,
> not a pixel based one.

You may want to look at the papers on Pad++ which had a fair bit of
information on ZUIs, including optimisation and navigation techniques,
though I haven't looked at it for a long time. (I mention navigation
because a ZUI desktop can be immense and easy to get lost in :)

Re: Zoomable UI

This is strange that Juan does not mention that ESUG is sponsoring him.
He will certainly fix that.
I could not see ESUG mentioned on his web page.
Stef

On Apr 20, 2010, at 3:44 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 08:32:31PM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> This is where, i think we should be heading:
>>
>> http://ahead.com
>>
>> And this is why i think, a graphics frameworks should be vector based,
>> not a pixel based one.
>
> Of course you know of Juan's work in this direction:
>
>  http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Index.html
>
> Dave

Re: Zoomable UI

Stéphane Ducasse
Excellent!
We are happy to hear that.

Stef

On Apr 20, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> This is strange that Juan does not mention that ESUG is sponsoring him.
>> He will certainly fix that.
>> I could not see ESUG mentioned on his web page.
>> Stef
>>

> Hi Stef,
>
> I haven't updated the Morphic 3 page since November (before the B.A. conference). Things are going quite well, I am not too far from a complete set of new rendering primitives. I'll write an update of the project soon, with some updated screen shots, and with a mention to ESUG sponsoring the project.
>
> Thanks,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Zoomable UI

Igor Stasenko
I would be happy to participate in this :)

On 20 April 2010 19:30, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent!
> We are happy to hear that.
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 20, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> This is strange that Juan does not mention that ESUG is sponsoring him.
>>> He will certainly fix that.
>>> I could not see ESUG mentioned on his web page.
>>> Stef
>>>

>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> I haven't updated the Morphic 3 page since November (before the B.A. conference). Things are going quite well, I am not too far from a complete set of new rendering primitives. I'll write an update of the project soon, with some updated screen shots, and with a mention to ESUG sponsoring the project.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Juan Vuletich

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.