a call for a new appliance

EstebanLM
Hi,
Yes, it's me being annoying again :)
glass appliance is not just old in gemstone/pharo/seaside terms.... the operating system is also old: I was trying to install stunnel, and there are no more repositories for gutsy (the version in which the appliance runs). So I'll need to compile stunnel myself: I can't, because I don't have required files :(
So... I wonder if we can have a new version of the appliance soon? please?

Thanks!
Esteban

Re: a call for a new appliance

Dale
Esteban,

Please continue being annoying:)

I am feeling comfortable with the new ConfigurationOfGLASS and I feel like I've finally got a handle on how I want to do things moving forward, so it is indeed time to create a new appliance. I do have a handful of things that still need tending to before we can move on a new appliance, but a new appliance is overdue.

Sean has built some recent appliances, but I don't recall what version of the OS he's used...I'm sure that Sean can fill in the details. Anyway, these appliances may fill the need until I can dig myself out a little bit more.

Dale

----- "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Hi,
| Yes, it's me being annoying again :)
| glass appliance is not just old in gemstone/pharo/seaside terms....
| the operating system is also old: I was trying to install stunnel, and
| there are no more repositories for gutsy (the version in which the
| appliance runs). So I'll need to compile stunnel myself: I can't,
| because I don't have required files :(
| So... I wonder if we can have a new version of the appliance soon?
| please?
|
| Thanks!
| Esteban

Re: a call for a new appliance

SeanTAllen
Esteban,

I have a new 2.8 one from a few months ago. It doesnt have all the
bells and whistles of Gemstone one though.
Bells and whistles would be menu commands to start and stop gemstone etc.

I have newer ones that we use internally for 3.0 ( as we are running
Seaside 3 on GLASS in production ).
But that probably wouldnt be what you need.

I do however also have a nice set of instructions for building your
own Seaside 3.0 appliance ( based on debian lenny )
and might still have the Seaside 2.8 instructions somewhere.

If any of that would be helpful, let me know.

-Sean-

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Dale Henrichs
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Esteban,
>
> Please continue being annoying:)
>
> I am feeling comfortable with the new ConfigurationOfGLASS and I feel like I've finally got a handle on how I want to do things moving forward, so it is indeed time to create a new appliance. I do have a handful of things that still need tending to before we can move on a new appliance, but a new appliance is overdue.
>
> Sean has built some recent appliances, but I don't recall what version of the OS he's used...I'm sure that Sean can fill in the details. Anyway, these appliances may fill the need until I can dig myself out a little bit more.
>
> Dale
>
> ----- "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> | Yes, it's me being annoying again :)
> | glass appliance is not just old in gemstone/pharo/seaside terms....
> | the operating system is also old: I was trying to install stunnel, and
> | there are no more repositories for gutsy (the version in which the
> | appliance runs). So I'll need to compile stunnel myself: I can't,
> | because I don't have required files :(
> | So... I wonder if we can have a new version of the appliance soon?
> | please?
> |
> | Thanks!
> | Esteban

Re: a call for a new appliance

EstebanLM
Hi Sean,
Yes, it will be cool to have the instructions for Seaside 2.8 (I'm running that)

Thanks,
Esteban

El 22/02/2010, a las 5:55p.m., Sean Allen escribió:

> Esteban,
>
> I have a new 2.8 one from a few months ago. It doesnt have all the
> bells and whistles of Gemstone one though.
> Bells and whistles would be menu commands to start and stop gemstone etc.
>
> I have newer ones that we use internally for 3.0 ( as we are running
> Seaside 3 on GLASS in production ).
> But that probably wouldnt be what you need.
>
> I do however also have a nice set of instructions for building your
> own Seaside 3.0 appliance ( based on debian lenny )
> and might still have the Seaside 2.8 instructions somewhere.
>
> If any of that would be helpful, let me know.
>
> -Sean-
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Dale Henrichs
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Esteban,
>>
>> Please continue being annoying:)
>>
>> I am feeling comfortable with the new ConfigurationOfGLASS and I feel like I've finally got a handle on how I want to do things moving forward, so it is indeed time to create a new appliance. I do have a handful of things that still need tending to before we can move on a new appliance, but a new appliance is overdue.
>>
>> Sean has built some recent appliances, but I don't recall what version of the OS he's used...I'm sure that Sean can fill in the details. Anyway, these appliances may fill the need until I can dig myself out a little bit more.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> ----- "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> | Hi,
>> | Yes, it's me being annoying again :)
>> | glass appliance is not just old in gemstone/pharo/seaside terms....
>> | the operating system is also old: I was trying to install stunnel, and
>> | there are no more repositories for gutsy (the version in which the
>> | appliance runs). So I'll need to compile stunnel myself: I can't,
>> | because I don't have required files :(
>> | So... I wonder if we can have a new version of the appliance soon?
>> | please?
>> |
>> | Thanks!
>> | Esteban

Re: a call for a new appliance

SeanTAllen
I'll see if I still have those.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sean,
> Yes, it will be cool to have the instructions for Seaside 2.8 (I'm running that)
>
> Thanks,
> Esteban
>
> El 22/02/2010, a las 5:55p.m., Sean Allen escribió:
>
>> Esteban,
>>
>> I have a new 2.8 one from a few months ago. It doesnt have all the
>> bells and whistles of Gemstone one though.
>> Bells and whistles would be menu commands to start and stop gemstone etc.
>>
>> I have newer ones that we use internally for 3.0 ( as we are running
>> Seaside 3 on GLASS in production ).
>> But that probably wouldnt be what you need.
>>
>> I do however also have a nice set of instructions for building your
>> own Seaside 3.0 appliance ( based on debian lenny )
>> and might still have the Seaside 2.8 instructions somewhere.
>>
>> If any of that would be helpful, let me know.
>>
>> -Sean-
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Dale Henrichs
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Esteban,
>>>
>>> Please continue being annoying:)
>>>
>>> I am feeling comfortable with the new ConfigurationOfGLASS and I feel like I've finally got a handle on how I want to do things moving forward, so it is indeed time to create a new appliance. I do have a handful of things that still need tending to before we can move on a new appliance, but a new appliance is overdue.
>>>
>>> Sean has built some recent appliances, but I don't recall what version of the OS he's used...I'm sure that Sean can fill in the details. Anyway, these appliances may fill the need until I can dig myself out a little bit more.
>>>
>>> Dale

Re: a call for a new appliance

SeanTAllen
> glass appliance is not just old in gemstone/pharo/seaside terms.... the operating system is also old: I was trying to install stunnel, and there are no more repositories for gutsy (the version in which the appliance runs). So I'll need to compile stunnel myself: I can't, because I don't have required files :(

side question... what are you going to be using stunnel for?

Re: a call for a new appliance

EstebanLM
well... I'm adding rpxnow.com to ibizlog.com.
The circuit needed is: ibizlog generates a link to rpxnow, rpxnow collect some data and autenticates you and call back to ibizlog. This circuit has to be through HTTPS connections, which  AFAIK, are not present on Pharo nor Gemstone. So I use stunnel to convert a single HTTP into HTTPS :)

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> well... I'm adding rpxnow.com to ibizlog.com.
> The circuit needed is: ibizlog generates a link to rpxnow, rpxnow collect some data and autenticates you and call back to ibizlog. This circuit has to be through HTTPS connections, which  AFAIK, are not present on Pharo nor Gemstone. So I use stunnel to convert a single HTTP into HTTPS :)

i looked at doing stunnel for that for us but what turned out to be
much easier was to have the webserver do the proxying itself.
you can setup most webservers to do http to https proxying for you.
just have it listen on a fake name like 'cardinal' on 127.0.0.1
and then you webserver proxies everything coming in to that to the
real domain like 'https://cardinal.com/'

one less service to have to deal with, that way you know if you
webserver is up, your proxy is up. no having to monitor the webserver
and stunnel.

i can send you a more detailed example from our setup with nginx if
you are interested.

Re: a call for a new appliance

EstebanLM
yes!
that will be really interesting

El 22/02/2010, a las 6:30p.m., Sean Allen escribió:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> well... I'm adding rpxnow.com to ibizlog.com.
>> The circuit needed is: ibizlog generates a link to rpxnow, rpxnow collect some data and autenticates you and call back to ibizlog. This circuit has to be through HTTPS connections, which  AFAIK, are not present on Pharo nor Gemstone. So I use stunnel to convert a single HTTP into HTTPS :)
>>

> i looked at doing stunnel for that for us but what turned out to be
> much easier was to have the webserver do the proxying itself.
> you can setup most webservers to do http to https proxying for you.
> just have it listen on a fake name like 'cardinal' on 127.0.0.1
> and then you webserver proxies everything coming in to that to the
> real domain like 'https://cardinal.com/'
>
> one less service to have to deal with, that way you know if you
> webserver is up, your proxy is up. no having to monitor the webserver
> and stunnel.
>
> i can send you a more detailed example from our setup with nginx if
> you are interested.

Re: a call for a new appliance

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 22-02-2010 a las 16:30 -0500, Sean Allen escribió:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > well... I'm adding rpxnow.com to ibizlog.com.
> > The circuit needed is: ibizlog generates a link to rpxnow, rpxnow collect some data and autenticates you and call back to ibizlog. This circuit has to be through HTTPS connections, which  AFAIK, are not present on Pharo nor Gemstone. So I use stunnel to convert a single HTTP into HTTPS :)
> >

> i looked at doing stunnel for that for us but what turned out to be
> much easier was to have the webserver do the proxying itself.
> you can setup most webservers to do http to https proxying for you.
> just have it listen on a fake name like 'cardinal' on 127.0.0.1
> and then you webserver proxies everything coming in to that to the
> real domain like 'https://cardinal.com/'
>
> one less service to have to deal with, that way you know if you
> webserver is up, your proxy is up. no having to monitor the webserver
> and stunnel.
>
> i can send you a more detailed example from our setup with nginx if
> you are interested.

Oh please, put the details here, as I am very interested in the setup.
If I understand correctly, if the app need to make a connection to an
external https then connects locally to a http port and the webserver
takes and redirect this connection to the external https and takes the
response back? Woa, very clever.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: a call for a new appliance

SeanTAllen
ok so basically, invent a fake name for place you want to proxy to.

for example, we do 3d secure authentication via url that reside under:

https://centinel1000.cardinalcommerce.com;

so we gave it the name 'cardinal'

in /etc/hosts there is an entry:

127.0.0.1 cardinal

we have a small nginx virtual server setup as:

server
{
    server_name cardinal;

    location /
    {
        proxy_pass https://centineltest.cardinalcommerce.com;
    }
}

so anything that comes in to

http://cardinal/

is proxied to

https://centineltest.cardinalcommerce.com/

if you have different testing/development & production environments,
you can easily
swap in a different host to proxy to as needed.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes!
> that will be really interesting
>
> El 22/02/2010, a las 6:30p.m., Sean Allen escribió:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> well... I'm adding rpxnow.com to ibizlog.com.
>>> The circuit needed is: ibizlog generates a link to rpxnow, rpxnow collect some data and autenticates you and call back to ibizlog. This circuit has to be through HTTPS connections, which  AFAIK, are not present on Pharo nor Gemstone. So I use stunnel to convert a single HTTP into HTTPS :)
>>>

>> i looked at doing stunnel for that for us but what turned out to be
>> much easier was to have the webserver do the proxying itself.
>> you can setup most webservers to do http to https proxying for you.
>> just have it listen on a fake name like 'cardinal' on 127.0.0.1
>> and then you webserver proxies everything coming in to that to the
>> real domain like 'https://cardinal.com/'
>>
>> one less service to have to deal with, that way you know if you
>> webserver is up, your proxy is up. no having to monitor the webserver
>> and stunnel.
>>
>> i can send you a more detailed example from our setup with nginx if
>> you are interested.

Re: a call for a new appliance

SeanTAllen
> Oh please, put the details here, as I am very interested in the setup.
> If I understand correctly, if the app need to make a connection to an
> external https then connects locally to a http port and the webserver
> takes and redirect this connection to the external https and takes the
> response back? Woa, very clever.

Yup, that would be exactly it.

Re: a call for a new appliance

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 22-02-2010 a las 16:50 -0500, Sean Allen escribió:
> > Oh please, put the details here, as I am very interested in the setup.
> > If I understand correctly, if the app need to make a connection to an
> > external https then connects locally to a http port and the webserver
> > takes and redirect this connection to the external https and takes the
> > response back? Woa, very clever.
>
> Yup, that would be exactly it.

Wonderful! My admiration Sir! Thanks for the tip.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: a call for a new appliance

EstebanLM
very cool, I certainly will use it :)

El 22/02/2010, a las 6:54p.m., Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez escribió:

> El lun, 22-02-2010 a las 16:50 -0500, Sean Allen escribió:
>>> Oh please, put the details here, as I am very interested in the setup.
>>> If I understand correctly, if the app need to make a connection to an
>>> external https then connects locally to a http port and the webserver
>>> takes and redirect this connection to the external https and takes the
>>> response back? Woa, very clever.
>>
>> Yup, that would be exactly it.
>
> Wonderful! My admiration Sir! Thanks for the tip.
>
> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: a call for a new appliance

SeanTAllen
Sorry esteban, I dont have the directions. Looked like I did Seaside
2.8 in the glass appliance as an update
and started right on Seaside 3 for prebuilt ones. That said, it
wouldn't be too hard to do a 2.8 based on 3.0
( mostly the same except for which gemstone you install and setting up
fast cgi instead of proxying ).

I could either, send you the Seaside 3 appliance directions I've
worked out and you can take it from
there or if you give me a few days, I'll work through building a 2.8
one myself and could then send the directions along.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll see if I still have those.
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Sean,
>> Yes, it will be cool to have the instructions for Seaside 2.8 (I'm running that)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Esteban
>>
>> El 22/02/2010, a las 5:55p.m., Sean Allen escribió:
>>
>>> Esteban,
>>>
>>> I have a new 2.8 one from a few months ago. It doesnt have all the
>>> bells and whistles of Gemstone one though.
>>> Bells and whistles would be menu commands to start and stop gemstone etc.
>>>
>>> I have newer ones that we use internally for 3.0 ( as we are running
>>> Seaside 3 on GLASS in production ).
>>> But that probably wouldnt be what you need.
>>>
>>> I do however also have a nice set of instructions for building your
>>> own Seaside 3.0 appliance ( based on debian lenny )
>>> and might still have the Seaside 2.8 instructions somewhere.
>>>
>>> If any of that would be helpful, let me know.
>>>
>>> -Sean-

Fwd: https via proxy WAS: a call for a new appliance

Dale