a new Squeak-inspired live web environment

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

a new Squeak-inspired live web environment

Davide Della Casa
Hi all,

I’d like to send you the link to a new (or old? :-) Squeak-inspired system that I made: 

             http://fizzygum.org/ 

In particular, given your interests: http://fizzygum.org/docs/fizzygum-for-lispers-and-smalltalkers/ 

Also, in theory it should be able to work with Amber, although no-one tried yet, see http://fizzygum.org/docs/support-for-other-languages/

Cheers, 
Davide Della Casa


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: a new Squeak-inspired live web environment

timrowledge


> On 14-05-2018, at 3:18 AM, Davide Della Casa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I’d like to send you the link to a new (or old? :-) Squeak-inspired system that I made:
>
>              http://fizzygum.org/ 

Looks very neat indeed.

But (and there always has to be a but) attempting to follow your download link on http://fizzygum.org/docs/build-install/ where it points to https://github.com/davidedc/Fizzygum-website/tree/master/sandboxes/latest-stable leads to a github page with no clear way to download anything. I see the directories and files ok but as is so often the case github chooses to make life irritating.

How does one download a directory from there? Without having to download the entire repository?


tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful random insult:- Cackles a lot, but I ain't seen no eggs yet.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: a new Squeak-inspired live web environment

Davide Della Casa
Hi Tim,

I just made a zip with the build, here: https://github.com/davidedc/Fizzygum/releases/

...will add to the docs tomorrow.

Davide

On 14 May 2018, at 17:50, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:



On 14-05-2018, at 3:18 AM, Davide Della Casa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I’d like to send you the link to a new (or old? :-) Squeak-inspired system that I made:

            http://fizzygum.org/

Looks very neat indeed.

But (and there always has to be a but) attempting to follow your download link on http://fizzygum.org/docs/build-install/ where it points to https://github.com/davidedc/Fizzygum-website/tree/master/sandboxes/latest-stable leads to a github page with no clear way to download anything. I see the directories and files ok but as is so often the case github chooses to make life irritating.

How does one download a directory from there? Without having to download the entire repository?


tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful random insult:- Cackles a lot, but I ain't seen no eggs yet.






Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: a new Squeak-inspired live web environment

timrowledge


> On 14-05-2018, at 11:31 AM, Davide Della Casa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> I just made a zip with the build, here: https://github.com/davidedc/Fizzygum/releases/

Interesting stuff. Obviously I'm sad that it isn't Smalltalk but that doesn't stop me being impressed. And gosh, I haven't seen Toothpaste drawing in.... forever!


tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Fractured Idiom:- POSH MORTEM - Death styles of the rich and famous



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: a new Squeak-inspired live web environment

Chris Muller-3
In reply to this post by Davide Della Casa
Power users rejoice!  This looks like the system I've been wishing for
for a long time.  I'm going to have to dig a bit into this at least
for ideas.
This is incredible, congratulations!

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 5:18 AM, Davide Della Casa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’d like to send you the link to a new (or old? :-) Squeak-inspired system
> that I made:
>
>              http://fizzygum.org/
>
> In particular, given your interests:
> http://fizzygum.org/docs/fizzygum-for-lispers-and-smalltalkers/
>
> Also, in theory it should be able to work with Amber, although no-one tried
> yet, see http://fizzygum.org/docs/support-for-other-languages/
>
> Cheers,
> Davide Della Casa
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: a new Squeak-inspired live web environment

Edgar J. De Cleene-3
As I said to Davide, the visual was gorgeous but need some Smalltalk how to.
Via Amber or another way


On 16/05/2018, 23:11, "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Power users rejoice!  This looks like the system I've been wishing for
for a
> long time.  I'm going to have to dig a bit into this at least
for ideas.
This
> is incredible, congratulations!



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: a new Squeak-inspired live web environment

Davide Della Casa
It’d be reasonably quick to have either Amber/LittleSmallscript/Clamato/st2js working in Fizzygum, however…

it would still be something very different from the "normal" ST experience… 1) it would be a dialect 2) there would be no traditional ST data structures such as Collections, etc. 3) there would be no runtime magic e.g. pause/resume on error…

so... it would be almost “just” a syntax translation really. And although I think that the ST syntax is great, I couldn't quite convince myself that it’d be “enough”.

But I’m interested in different views, maybe I’m missing something? Maybe even just a syntax translation would be a great idea for some tangible reason?

Cheers,
Davide