a plea for "save and quit"

12

a plea for "save and quit"

Oscar Nierstrasz

Hi Folks,

Is there any reason why "save and quit" is commented out of the world
menu?  It is what I want to do 90% of the time.

Would be nice to have it back by default.

- on

TheWorldMenu>>buildWorldMenu
        "Build the menu that is put up when the screen-desktop is clicked on"
        | menu |
        self fillIn: menu from: {
                nil.
                "{'save and quit'. {self. #saveAndQuit}. 'save the current image on
disk, and quit out of Squeak.'}."
          {'quit'. {self. #quitSession}. 'quit out of Squeak.'}
        }.
        ^ menu

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Michael Rueger-6
Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Is there any reason why "save and quit" is commented out of the world
> menu?  It is what I want to do 90% of the time.
>
> Would be nice to have it back by default.

+10

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Henrik Sperre Johansen
IIRC, you get the option to save whenever you try to quit.
So save and quit didn't really make sense, as it'd save, then ask you if
you wanted to save again before actually quitting...

Cheers,
Henry

Oscar Nierstrasz skrev:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Is there any reason why "save and quit" is commented out of the world
> menu?  It is what I want to do 90% of the time.
>
> Would be nice to have it back by default.
>
> - on
>
> TheWorldMenu>>buildWorldMenu
> "Build the menu that is put up when the screen-desktop is clicked on"
> | menu |
> self fillIn: menu from: {
> nil.
> "{'save and quit'. {self. #saveAndQuit}. 'save the current image on
> disk, and quit out of Squeak.'}."
> {'quit'. {self. #quitSession}. 'quit out of Squeak.'}
> }.
> ^ menu

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Stéphane Ducasse
this is why it was removed.
in fact there is no quit

On Jun 10, 2009, at 1:46 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> IIRC, you get the option to save whenever you try to quit.
> So save and quit didn't really make sense, as it'd save, then ask
> you if
> you wanted to save again before actually quitting...
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> Oscar Nierstrasz skrev:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Is there any reason why "save and quit" is commented out of the world
>> menu?  It is what I want to do 90% of the time.
>>
>> Would be nice to have it back by default.
>>
>> - on
>>
>> TheWorldMenu>>buildWorldMenu
>> "Build the menu that is put up when the screen-desktop is clicked
>> on"
>> | menu |
>> self fillIn: menu from: {
>> nil.
>> "{'save and quit'. {self. #saveAndQuit}. 'save the current image on
>> disk, and quit out of Squeak.'}."
>> {'quit'. {self. #quitSession}. 'quit out of Squeak.'}
>> }.
>> ^ menu

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Oscar Nierstrasz

Nope.

If I uncomment it, it works exactly as I want, which is to save and
quit without any further prompting.

- on

On Jun 10, 2009, at 13:46, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> IIRC, you get the option to save whenever you try to quit.
> So save and quit didn't really make sense, as it'd save, then ask
> you if
> you wanted to save again before actually quitting...
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> Oscar Nierstrasz skrev:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Is there any reason why "save and quit" is commented out of the world
>> menu?  It is what I want to do 90% of the time.
>>
>> Would be nice to have it back by default.
>>
>> - on
>>
>> TheWorldMenu>>buildWorldMenu
>> "Build the menu that is put up when the screen-desktop is clicked
>> on"
>> | menu |
>> self fillIn: menu from: {
>> nil.
>> "{'save and quit'. {self. #saveAndQuit}. 'save the current image on
>> disk, and quit out of Squeak.'}."
>> {'quit'. {self. #quitSession}. 'quit out of Squeak.'}
>> }.
>> ^ menu

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Ramon Leon-5
Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:
> Nope.
>
> If I uncomment it, it works exactly as I want, which is to save and
> quit without any further prompting.

+10, I hate that this was removed and always go and put it back in.  I
don't want to go through a two step process every time.

--
Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Stéphane Ducasse
well there is tension between long menus and short menus.
and if we have already three items just to save we will end up been
squeakish.
So except if there is a huge pression or a cool argument we would like
to keep save/quit and not have save/quit/save and quit

> Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:
>> Nope.
>>
>> If I uncomment it, it works exactly as I want, which is to save and
>> quit without any further prompting.
>
> +10, I hate that this was removed and always go and put it back in.  I
> don't want to go through a two step process every time.
>
> --
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Michael Rueger-6
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> well there is tension between long menus and short menus.
> and if we have already three items just to save we will end up been
> squeakish.
> So except if there is a huge pression or a cool argument we would like
> to keep save/quit and not have save/quit/save and quit

we could move save as and save as version into a save as sub-menu.
that would leave
save
save as
quit

as choices.
And we could actually remove quit ;-) as it is already handled by
closing the window or quitting from the mac menu.

Michael

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Lukas Renggli
> So except if there is a huge pression or a cool argument we would like
> to keep save/quit and not have save/quit/save and quit

I am also in favor of adding "Save and quit".

Get rid of "Save as new version" instead, I never use this one.

Speaking of it, "Save as..." could be made a bit smarter and not
suggest the same image name as default, but the next version.

Lukas ;-)

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

nchillo
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So except if there is a huge pression or a cool argument we would like
> to keep save/quit and not have save/quit/save and quit

I am also in favor of adding "Save and quit".

Get rid of "Save as new version" instead, I never use this one.

Speaking of it, "Save as..." could be made a bit smarter and not
suggest the same image name as default, but the next version.

And maybe, the posibility to save in a diferent path. ;-)
Nico

Lukas ;-)

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

David Mitchell-10
Love the minimal menus in Pharo.
Squeakish menus make me squeamish.

Glad to not have Save and Quit
Could lose Save as New Version.

2009/6/10 Nicolas Chillo <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > So except if there is a huge pression or a cool argument we would like
>> > to keep save/quit and not have save/quit/save and quit
>>
>> I am also in favor of adding "Save and quit".
>>
>> Get rid of "Save as new version" instead, I never use this one.
>>
>> Speaking of it, "Save as..." could be made a bit smarter and not
>> suggest the same image name as default, but the next version.
>
> And maybe, the posibility to save in a diferent path. ;-)
> Nico
>

>> Lukas ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Adrian Lienhard

On Jun 10, 2009, at 22:13 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> So except if there is a huge pression or a cool argument we would
>> like
>> to keep save/quit and not have save/quit/save and quit
>
> I am also in favor of adding "Save and quit".
>
> Get rid of "Save as new version" instead, I never use this one.
>
> Speaking of it, "Save as..." could be made a bit smarter and not
> suggest the same image name as default, but the next version.

+1

Adrian

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Antoine Marot
Le 10-juin-09 à 22:11, Michael Rueger a écrit :
> we could move save as and save as version into a save as sub-menu.
> that would leave
> save
> save as
> quit
>
> as choices.

I would prefer a menu like this :

-'Save'
-'Save ...' -> 'Save as', 'Save as new version', 'Save and Quit'
-'Quit'

Where the less used options are in a sub-menu.

I'll be glad to have the "Save and Quit" option back :-)

Antoine

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Michael Rueger-6
Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> So except if there is a huge pression or a cool argument we would like
>> to keep save/quit and not have save/quit/save and quit
>
> I am also in favor of adding "Save and quit".
>
> Get rid of "Save as new version" instead, I never use this one.

I use it at least once a day. You learn that when working on core stuff,
one innocently looking change and there goes your image ;-)

Michael

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Nicolas Cellier
What about auto-adaptative menus learning your habits.

X most used items on top.
Y often used items following.
Every other less used items in submenus.

Of course, a logical order could be preserved among the Y often used items.
That's already the spirit of Pharo world menu, except this is a bit
static for a dynamic language!

Nicolas

2009/6/10 Antoine Marot <[hidden email]>:

> Le 10-juin-09 à 22:11, Michael Rueger a écrit :
>> we could move save as and save as version into a save as sub-menu.
>> that would leave
>> save
>> save as
>> quit
>>
>> as choices.
>

> I would prefer a menu like this :
>
> -'Save'
> -'Save ...' -> 'Save as', 'Save as new version', 'Save and Quit'
> -'Quit'
>
> Where the less used options are in a sub-menu.
>
> I'll be glad to have the "Save and Quit" option back :-)
>

> Antoine

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Michael Rueger-6
Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> What about auto-adaptative menus learning your habits.
>
> X most used items on top.
> Y often used items following.
> Every other less used items in submenus.

you mean the most horrible idea MS ever had, changing menus?

-10^age of the universe ;-)

Michael

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Brian Brown-6

On Jun 10, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>> What about auto-adaptative menus learning your habits.
>>
>> X most used items on top.
>> Y often used items following.
>> Every other less used items in submenus.
>
> you mean the most horrible idea MS ever had, changing menus?
>
> -10^age of the universe ;-)

Hah! I agree wholeheartedly. Changing menus are not fun.

I use Save and Quit all the time... this is starting to smell like a
preference. If you want super short menus, then turn it off, if you
want the convenience, then have it on...

what say?

- Brian

> Michael

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Mariano Martinez Peck
what about having a preference to enable/disable "save and quite" from menu?

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Brian Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 10, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>> What about auto-adaptative menus learning your habits.
>>
>> X most used items on top.
>> Y often used items following.
>> Every other less used items in submenus.
>
> you mean the most horrible idea MS ever had, changing menus?
>
> -10^age of the universe ;-)

Hah! I agree wholeheartedly. Changing menus are not fun.

I use Save and Quit all the time... this is starting to smell like a
preference. If you want super short menus, then turn it off, if you
want the convenience, then have it on...

what say?

- Brian

> Michael

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Nicolas Cellier
How to customize the menus?
Customization == Preference, OK these are synonyms.

Among the propositions so far:
1) override a method
2) some specific hard-wired Preferences
3) automatic

some drawbacks:
1) require maintenance at each update
2) why a Preference for an item and not another ?
3) changing menus are painful (MS lacks some inertia for sure...)

So far, I agree on 4) keep a simple static menu
...unless customization be accessible right from the menu (halos?)
rather than from an obscure path.
And easily undo-able (for example, items could be there but just undisplayed...)

Nicolas

2009/6/11 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> what about having a preference to enable/disable "save and quite" from menu?
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Brian Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > you mean the most horrible idea MS ever had, changing menus?
>> >
>> > -10^age of the universe ;-)
>> >

>> Hah! I agree wholeheartedly. Changing menus are not fun.
>>
>> I use Save and Quit all the time... this is starting to smell like a
>> preference. If you want super short menus, then turn it off, if you
>> want the convenience, then have it on...
>>
>> what say?
>>
>> - Brian
>>

>> > Michael

Re: a plea for "save and quit"

Adrian Lienhard
Why not Lukas' proposal?

Other mails argued that we should not add "save and quit" because it
increases the menu size. But with Lukas' suggestion  the number of
menu items stay the same, hence this argument does not hold.

Mike argued he needs "save as new version" at least once a day. This
is not lost as "Save as" does the trick.

Adrian

On Jun 11, 2009, at 02:28 , Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> How to customize the menus?
> Customization == Preference, OK these are synonyms.
>
> Among the propositions so far:
> 1) override a method
> 2) some specific hard-wired Preferences
> 3) automatic
>
> some drawbacks:
> 1) require maintenance at each update
> 2) why a Preference for an item and not another ?
> 3) changing menus are painful (MS lacks some inertia for sure...)
>
> So far, I agree on 4) keep a simple static menu
> ...unless customization be accessible right from the menu (halos?)
> rather than from an obscure path.
> And easily undo-able (for example, items could be there but just
> undisplayed...)
>
> Nicolas
>

> 2009/6/11 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> what about having a preference to enable/disable "save and quite"
>> from menu?
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Brian Brown
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hah! I agree wholeheartedly. Changing menus are not fun.
>>>
>>> I use Save and Quit all the time... this is starting to smell like a
>>> preference. If you want super short menus, then turn it off, if you
>>> want the convenience, then have it on...
>>>
>>> what say?
>>>
>>> - Brian

12