about ConfigurationOfXXX

Fernando olivero
Hi, i wanted to know if there's documentation on the ConfigurationOfXXX classes.

 Because it seems to me that now we just cut  and paste from previous ones. Maybe a super class ConfigurationOfPackages could be created?

Could someone please ilustrate the usage and examples , and maybe put it on the Pharo Web Page.  Specially because it seems to be the standard way of loading monticello projects now.

Thanks!
Fernando

Re: about ConfigurationOfXXX

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Fernando olivero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, i wanted to know if there's documentation on the ConfigurationOfXXX classes.

Hi Fernando. This is part of the Metacello project. You can read the tutorial here: http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/Tutorial
I recommend you the image based one.

There is also a group for Metacello: http://groups.google.com/group/metacello

 Because it seems to me that now we just cut  and paste from previous ones. Maybe a super class ConfigurationOfPackages could be created?

Yes, you have to copy from the class MetacelloConfigTemplate

Yes, we discussed about having a superclass. The problem is where is that class? It should be in the "core" of Pharo, Squeak, Gemstone. See this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/metacello/browse_thread/thread/c056f4e44e4523f0/

Could someone please ilustrate the usage and examples , and maybe put it on the Pharo Web Page.  Specially because it seems to be the standard way of loading monticello projects now.

Not yet. We are in a "testing moment". If we completely decide to go with Metacello maybe we can add something in Pharo Website. Maybe others think we should add something now....I don't know

Thanks!
Fernando

Re: [Metacello] Re: about ConfigurationOfXXX

Dale

----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| >  Because it seems to me that now we just cut  and paste from
| previous ones.
| > Maybe a super class ConfigurationOfPackages could be created?
| >

| Yes, you have to copy from the class MetacelloConfigTemplate
|
| Yes, we discussed about having a superclass. The problem is where is
| that
| class? It should be in the "core" of Pharo, Squeak, Gemstone. See
| this
| thread:
|
| http://groups.google.com/group/metacello/browse_thread/thread/c056f4e44e4523f0/

Btw, I do a class copy of MetacelloConfigTemplate rather than copy and paste methods:)

Dale

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| >  Because it seems to me that now we just cut  and paste from
| previous ones.
| > Maybe a super class ConfigurationOfPackages could be created?
| >

| Yes, you have to copy from the class MetacelloConfigTemplate
|
| Yes, we discussed about having a superclass. The problem is where is
| that
| class? It should be in the "core" of Pharo, Squeak, Gemstone. See
| this
| thread:
|
| http://groups.google.com/group/metacello/browse_thread/thread/c056f4e44e4523f0/

Btw, I do a class copy of MetacelloConfigTemplate rather than copy and paste methods:)

Yes, me too. Sorry if I express my self wrong.

Dale

Re: [Metacello] Re: about ConfigurationOfXXX

Fernando olivero
Thanks for the info Mariano and Dale, I understand more now after reading what Metacello is.

I think this info should be posted on the squeaksource of Metacello Configurations web page.

Thanks,
Fernando

On Jan 8, 2010, at 7:08 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> ----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> | >  Because it seems to me that now we just cut  and paste from
> | previous ones.
> | > Maybe a super class ConfigurationOfPackages could be created?
> | >

> | Yes, you have to copy from the class MetacelloConfigTemplate
> |
> | Yes, we discussed about having a superclass. The problem is where is
> | that
> | class? It should be in the "core" of Pharo, Squeak, Gemstone. See
> | this
> | thread:
> |
> | http://groups.google.com/group/metacello/browse_thread/thread/c056f4e44e4523f0/
>
> Btw, I do a class copy of MetacelloConfigTemplate rather than copy and paste methods:)
>
> Dale

Re: [Metacello] Re: about ConfigurationOfXXX

Fernando olivero
Thanks for the info! I understand much better Metacello now.

I think it would be helpful if this info were posted on the Metacello Repository Squeak Source page. So people dont get lost on the first approach to ConfigurationOf... and Metacello ( ..and Gofer).

Fernando

On Jan 8, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| >  Because it seems to me that now we just cut  and paste from
| previous ones.
| > Maybe a super class ConfigurationOfPackages could be created?
| >

| Yes, you have to copy from the class MetacelloConfigTemplate
|
| Yes, we discussed about having a superclass. The problem is where is
| that
| class? It should be in the "core" of Pharo, Squeak, Gemstone. See
| this
| thread:
|
| http://groups.google.com/group/metacello/browse_thread/thread/c056f4e44e4523f0/

Btw, I do a class copy of MetacelloConfigTemplate rather than copy and paste methods:)

Yes, me too. Sorry if I express my self wrong.

Dale

<ATT00001..txt>

Re: about ConfigurationOfXXX

Miguel Cobá

> Yes, we discussed about having a superclass. The problem is where is
> that class? It should be in the "core" of Pharo, Squeak, Gemstone. See
> this thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/metacello/browse_thread/thread/c056f4e44e4523f0/
>
>         Could someone please ilustrate the usage and examples , and
>         maybe put it on the Pharo Web Page.  Specially because it
>         seems to be the standard way of loading monticello projects
>         now.

Why don't make the bootstrap process to self compile the required class
in the hosting environments.
This way the hosting environment musn't have anything about Metacello
but it can compile/install the required classes as the first steps of
the bootstrap process.

Or maybe I'm talking nuts :)

Cheers

--