about FAMIXAssociation

Fabrizio Perin-3
Hi,
I was implementing a new element as subclass of FAMIXEntity than I created an association between these new elements as subclass of FAMIXAssociation.
By browsing these associations I was getting a weird error related to the sourceAnchor method. Than I realized that FAMIXAssociation is subclass of FAMIXSourceEntity and that implement the sourceAnchor method as

^self from sourceAnchor.

Now my point is:
FAMIXAssociation should be subclass of FAMIXEntity because FAMIXAssociation should be a superclass for any association between entities not just source entities. In this way we can also ride of the method FAMIXAssociation>>>sourceAnchor which I found disturbing.

Anyway, in the comment of FAMIXAssociation it is written: "FAMIXAssociation is an abstract superclass for relationships between Famix named entities".

So I would like to push FAMIXAssociation up and make it subclass of FAMIXEntity.

If you disagree, it should be at least push down as subclass of FAMIXNamedEntity.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Fabrizio

Re: about FAMIXAssociation

Tudor Girba-2

Thanks for the report.

On 17 Feb 2012, at 10:32, Fabrizio Perin wrote:

> Hi,
> I was implementing a new element as subclass of FAMIXEntity than I created an association between these new elements as subclass of FAMIXAssociation.
> By browsing these associations I was getting a weird error related to the sourceAnchor method. Than I realized that FAMIXAssociation is subclass of FAMIXSourceEntity and that implement the sourceAnchor method as
>
> ^self from sourceAnchor.
>
> Now my point is:
> FAMIXAssociation should be subclass of FAMIXEntity because FAMIXAssociation should be a superclass for any association between entities not just source entities. In this way we can also ride of the method FAMIXAssociation>>>sourceAnchor which I found disturbing.
> Anyway, in the comment of FAMIXAssociation it is written: "FAMIXAssociation is an abstract superclass for relationships between Famix named entities".
>
> So I would like to push FAMIXAssociation up and make it subclass of FAMIXEntity.

Nope. An association can have a source.

> If you disagree, it should be at least push down as subclass of FAMIXNamedEntity.

Nope :). An association does not have a name usually.

> What do you think?

I think the issue is relevant, but the problem is that FAMIXAssociation overrides the default source anchor. This method should go away as it is not particularly useful.

Cheers,
Doru

> Cheers,
> Fabrizio

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: about FAMIXAssociation

Fabrizio Perin-3

> If you disagree, it should be at least push down as subclass of FAMIXNamedEntity.

Nope :). An association does not have a name usually.

Stupid me, of course an association do not have a name :)

> What do you think?

I think the issue is relevant, but the problem is that FAMIXAssociation overrides the default source anchor. This method should go away as it is not particularly useful.

Shall I open an issues like: "remove sourceAnchor from FAMIXAssociation"?

Cheers,
Fabrizio