about Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Neil

what you report is strange.
Can you let us know:
        - vm
        - OS
        - image version
        - your display depth

Because people are using pharo on production and we got an increase of 15% of Morphic
in pharo 1.1 so I have some doubts.

Now lot of us are on mac.

Please note that you can forward this email to the newsgroup because I cannot post there.
I never noticed a grow mention by the person which replied to you.

If you want to have fast and supportive answers to your question send them to the pharo mailing-lists
since we do not read news groups in general.

Re: about Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks for your reply :)

>> what you report is strange.
>> Can you let us know:
>
>>        - vm
>
> The Pharo VM is the current (as of a couple of days ago) download from
> the Pharo Homepage - Squeak 3.11.4 (beta).
>
>>        - OS
>
> Win2K SP4
>
>>        - image version
>
> Once again, a very recent download - pharo1.0-10493-rc1dev09.11.2.image
>
>>        - your display depth
>
> True Color 24 bit

I have
        Display depth -> 32

then 24 looks strange to me.

depth: bitsPerPixel
        (bitsPerPixel > 32 or:
                [(bitsPerPixel bitAnd: bitsPerPixel-1) ~= 0])
                ifTrue: [self halt: 'bitsPerPixel must be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32'].
        depth := bitsPerPixel

Can you type
        Display depth

        and Display depth: 32 to see if this change something?

>> Because people are using pharo on production and we got an increase of 15% of Morphic
>> in pharo 1.1 so I have some doubts.
>
> It is very definitely much slower than Squeak on my system. This is an
> old laptop 900MHz P3, but it has no problems at all running Squeak.

We should keep an old machine around to test it.
this is strange.
Because the Ob2Browser is slow because it displays package and getting package information is slow.
Which browser are you using
Can you give a try to change it and use the system browser (to change click on the right icon on the window ... Choose new default menu)

Can you change the theme?
using the preference pane?

Thanks

Stef

> Neil Butterworth

Re: about Pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I have a "slow" machine that stands ready to help with numbers any time; it is semi-retired now, running Ubuntu 9.04.  It might be a good ideas to dual-boot it, but I find it challenging to work up the motivation to assault it with a Windows CD, and I have a similar era machine running win2k.

My sense is that Pharo is slower than Squeak, and I am suspicious that the Linux vm is not as efficient as it could be.  I forget wheher I saw this only on Linux, but somewhere I reported a long-sourced method that I saw draw in monochrome and AGAIN in color.  Nothing against Shout (as the self-apppointed comment pedant, I **really** appreciate syntax highlighting), there might be some room for efficiency by skipping the monochrom pass.

Resizing on Linux turns the main window black.  It might make more sense to invalidate and draw once after the sizing is complete??

I have long heard people claim that Linux is faster than Windows, but I was not convinced.  Having recently purchased a new machine and watched it labor under the weight of Vista long enough to see for myself what all the stench was about, I think I get it.  Current Linux distributions with the customary graphical largese are not happy on 7+ year old machines that handily run Win2k.  However, a new box that just barely gets by under Windows will be relatively quick running Linux.

I forget who said it: "software is getting slow faster than hardware is getting fast."

Bill

> The Pharo VM is the current (as of a couple of days ago) download from
> the Pharo Homepage - Squeak 3.11.4 (beta).
>
>>        - OS
>
> Win2K SP4
>
>>        - image version
>
> Once again, a very recent download -
> pharo1.0-10493-rc1dev09.11.2.image
>
>>        - your display depth
>
> True Color 24 bit

I have
        Display depth -> 32

then 24 looks strange to me.

depth: bitsPerPixel
        (bitsPerPixel > 32 or:
                [(bitsPerPixel bitAnd: bitsPerPixel-1) ~= 0])
                ifTrue: [self halt: 'bitsPerPixel must be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32'].
        depth := bitsPerPixel

Can you type
        Display depth

        and Display depth: 32 to see if this change something?

>> Because people are using pharo on production and we got an increase
>> of 15% of Morphic in pharo 1.1 so I have some doubts.
>
> It is very definitely much slower than Squeak on my system. This is an
> old laptop 900MHz P3, but it has no problems at all running Squeak.

We should keep an old machine around to test it.
this is strange.
Because the Ob2Browser is slow because it displays package and getting package information is slow.
Which browser are you using
Can you give a try to change it and use the system browser (to change click on the right icon on the window ... Choose new default menu)

Can you change the theme?
using the preference pane?

Thanks

Stef

> Neil Butterworth

Re: about Pharo

Lukas Renggli
In my experience the truetype fonts and the mac skin are a major
slowdown. If I disable both things I get a much faster image. Now I do
like nice fonts, so I just live with that speed penalty ...

Lukas

On Thursday, November 26, 2009, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I have a "slow" machine that stands ready to help with numbers any time; it is semi-retired now, running Ubuntu 9.04.  It might be a good ideas to dual-boot it, but I find it challenging to work up the motivation to assault it with a Windows CD, and I have a similar era machine running win2k.
>
> My sense is that Pharo is slower than Squeak, and I am suspicious that the Linux vm is not as efficient as it could be.  I forget wheher I saw this only on Linux, but somewhere I reported a long-sourced method that I saw draw in monochrome and AGAIN in color.  Nothing against Shout (as the self-apppointed comment pedant, I **really** appreciate syntax highlighting), there might be some room for efficiency by skipping the monochrom pass.
>
> Resizing on Linux turns the main window black.  It might make more sense to invalidate and draw once after the sizing is complete??
>
> I have long heard people claim that Linux is faster than Windows, but I was not convinced.  Having recently purchased a new machine and watched it labor under the weight of Vista long enough to see for myself what all the stench was about, I think I get it.  Current Linux distributions with the customary graphical largese are not happy on 7+ year old machines that handily run Win2k.  However, a new box that just barely gets by under Windows will be relatively quick running Linux.
>
> I forget who said it: "software is getting slow faster than hardware is getting fast."
>
> Bill

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: about Pharo

Marcus Denker-3

On Nov 27, 2009, at 12:03 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> In my experience the truetype fonts and the mac skin are a major
> slowdown. If I disable both things I get a much faster image. Now I do
> like nice fonts, so I just live with that speed penalty ...

maybe we should add a note to the download page that on slow machines, people
should download the Core image instead and switch the skin to a simpler one...

        Marcus

> Lukas
>
> On Thursday, November 26, 2009, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Stef,
>>
>> I have a "slow" machine that stands ready to help with numbers any time; it is semi-retired now, running Ubuntu 9.04.  It might be a good ideas to dual-boot it, but I find it challenging to work up the motivation to assault it with a Windows CD, and I have a similar era machine running win2k.
>>
>> My sense is that Pharo is slower than Squeak, and I am suspicious that the Linux vm is not as efficient as it could be.  I forget wheher I saw this only on Linux, but somewhere I reported a long-sourced method that I saw draw in monochrome and AGAIN in color.  Nothing against Shout (as the self-apppointed comment pedant, I **really** appreciate syntax highlighting), there might be some room for efficiency by skipping the monochrom pass.
>>
>> Resizing on Linux turns the main window black.  It might make more sense to invalidate and draw once after the sizing is complete??
>>
>> I have long heard people claim that Linux is faster than Windows, but I was not convinced.  Having recently purchased a new machine and watched it labor under the weight of Vista long enough to see for myself what all the stench was about, I think I get it.  Current Linux distributions with the customary graphical largese are not happy on 7+ year old machines that handily run Win2k.  However, a new box that just barely gets by under Windows will be relatively quick running Linux.
>>
>> I forget who said it: "software is getting slow faster than hardware is getting fast."
>>
>> Bill

Re: about Pharo

csrabak
Yep,

I think we should create a benchmark _image_ then...

Em 26/11/2009 20:02, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

Thanks for your reply :)

>> what you report is strange.
>> Can you let us know:
>
>>        - vm
>
> The Pharo VM is the current (as of a couple of days ago) download from
> the Pharo Homepage - Squeak 3.11.4 (beta).
>
>>        - OS
>
> Win2K SP4
>
>>        - image version
>
> Once again, a very recent download - pharo1.0-10493-rc1dev09.11.2.image
>
>>        - your display depth
>
> True Color 24 bit

I have
 Display depth -> 32

then 24 looks strange to me.

depth: bitsPerPixel
 (bitsPerPixel > 32 or:
 [(bitsPerPixel bitAnd: bitsPerPixel-1) ~= 0])
 ifTrue: [self halt: 'bitsPerPixel must be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32'].
 depth := bitsPerPixel

Can you type
 Display depth

 and Display depth: 32 to see if this change something?

>> Because people are using pharo on production and we got an increase of 15% of Morphic
>> in pharo 1.1 so I have some doubts.
>
> It is very definitely much slower than Squeak on my system. This is an
> old laptop 900MHz P3, but it has no problems at all running Squeak.

We should keep an old machine around to test it.
this is strange.
Because the Ob2Browser is slow because it displays package and getting package information is slow.
Which browser are you using
Can you give a try to change it and use the system browser (to change click on the right icon on the window ... Choose new default menu)

Can you change the theme?
using the preference pane?

Thanks

Stef

> Neil Butterworth

Re: about Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 27, 2009, at 12:03 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> In my experience the truetype fonts and the mac skin are a major
> slowdown. If I disable both things I get a much faster image. Now I do
> like nice fonts, so I just live with that speed penalty ...

maybe we should add a note to the download page that on slow machines, people
should download the Core image instead and switch the skin to a simpler one...

       Marcus

> Lukas
>
> On Thursday, November 26, 2009, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Stef,
>>
>> I have a "slow" machine that stands ready to help with numbers any time; it is semi-retired now, running Ubuntu 9.04.  It might be a good ideas to dual-boot it, but I find it challenging to work up the motivation to assault it with a Windows CD, and I have a similar era machine running win2k.
>>
>> My sense is that Pharo is slower than Squeak, and I am suspicious that the Linux vm is not as efficient as it could be.  I forget wheher I saw this only on Linux, but somewhere I reported a long-sourced method that I saw draw in monochrome and AGAIN in color.  Nothing against Shout (as the self-apppointed comment pedant, I **really** appreciate syntax highlighting), there might be some room for efficiency by skipping the monochrom pass.
>>
>> Resizing on Linux turns the main window black.  It might make more sense to invalidate and draw once after the sizing is complete??
>>
>> I have long heard people claim that Linux is faster than Windows, but I was not convinced.  Having recently purchased a new machine and watched it labor under the weight of Vista long enough to see for myself what all the stench was about, I think I get it.  Current Linux distributions with the customary graphical largese are not happy on 7+ year old machines that handily run Win2k.  However, a new box that just barely gets by under Windows will be relatively quick running Linux.
>>
>> I forget who said it: "software is getting slow faster than hardware is getting fast."
>>
>> Bill

Re: about Pharo

Thanks.

speed up the system was always a concern to us now
the font rendering takes time and we have all new machines so we do not feel the slugginess.
Now this is important and in 1.1 we already got 15% speed increase for morphic.

Stef