about a digest for the mailing-list

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I think that lot of people are overwhelmed by the flux of mails. I would like get us doing the following:
        - have an announce mailing-list with a low traffic and important announces
        - having a monthly report of items.

For the second point we could have a group of people picking info in the list and creating a wiki page and
at the end of the month sending it in the announce list.

What do you think?
Who could help?

Re: about a digest for the mailing-list

laurent laffont

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I think that lot of people are overwhelmed by the flux of mails. I would like get us doing the following:
       - have an announce mailing-list with a low traffic and important announces
       - having a monthly report of items.

For the second point we could have a group of people picking info in the list and creating a wiki page and
at the end of the month sending it in the announce list.

What do you think?
Who could help?

Isn't it a duplicate effort of http://pharo-project.org/news ?

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

Re: about a digest for the mailing-list

Stéphane Ducasse
we could have something a bit more detailed
then we could also reach people.
I do not know who is reading the blog
May be this is enough but the blog is not really active

Stef

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
we could have something a bit more detailed
then we could also reach people.
I do not know who is reading the blog
May be this is enough but the blog is not really active

I prefer the blog, it makes some activity on the website.
Yes it's not really active.

Laurent

Stef
On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:18 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think that lot of people are overwhelmed by the flux of mails. I would like get us doing the following:
>        - have an announce mailing-list with a low traffic and important announces
>        - having a monthly report of items.
>
> For the second point we could have a group of people picking info in the list and creating a wiki page and
> at the end of the month sending it in the announce list.
>
> What do you think?
> Who could help?
>
> Isn't it a duplicate effort of http://pharo-project.org/news ?
>
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> Stef

Re: about a digest for the mailing-list

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:26 16AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> we could have something a bit more detailed
> then we could also reach people.
> I do not know who is reading the blog
> May be this is enough but the blog is not really active
>
> Stef
> On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:18 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I think that lot of people are overwhelmed by the flux of mails. I would like get us doing the following:
>>       - have an announce mailing-list with a low traffic and important announces
>>       - having a monthly report of items.
>>
>> For the second point we could have a group of people picking info in the list and creating a wiki page and
>> at the end of the month sending it in the announce list.
>>
>> What do you think?

I'm not certain the audience of "not interested in the discussion, but I'd like to know what progress is made" is big enough to warrant it.
I agree with Laurent the news blog is a more suitable medium for what you propose, if anyone has time to do writeups.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: about a digest for the mailing-list

For me I'm open to a lot of suggestions but at the end of the day is who can do it.

Stef

On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:37 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> we could have something a bit more detailed
> then we could also reach people.
> I do not know who is reading the blog
> May be this is enough but the blog is not really active
>
> I prefer the blog, it makes some activity on the website.
> Yes it's not really active.

sound goods.
How do we use that?

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
For me I'm open to a lot of suggestions but at the end of the day is who can do it.

A way is to have weekly news rather than monthly, it's shorter so less time to write it.
I can participate but I want other people, so we can write in turns.

As a rule we can take the 3 longer  threads of the week and write a summary (or copy/paste good messages). For each thread put a link in the news pointing to forum.world.st interface.

Add a section 'Annoucements' for new or updated packages announced on mailing-list.

Laurent

Stef

On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:37 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> we could have something a bit more detailed
> then we could also reach people.
> I do not know who is reading the blog
> May be this is enough but the blog is not really active
>
> I prefer the blog, it makes some activity on the website.
> Yes it's not really active.

sound goods.
How do we use that?

> Laurent
>

> Stef
> On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:18 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I think that lot of people are overwhelmed by the flux of mails. I would like get us doing the following:
> >        - have an announce mailing-list with a low traffic and important announces
> >        - having a monthly report of items.
> >
> > For the second point we could have a group of people picking info in the list and creating a wiki page and
> > at the end of the month sending it in the announce list.
> >
> > What do you think?
> > Who could help?
> >
> > Isn't it a duplicate effort of http://pharo-project.org/news ?
> >
> > Laurent Laffont
> >
> > http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> > http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> >

> > Stef

Re: about a digest for the mailing-list

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
We can also be more rigorous about asking user questions on the user list.  I wonder what the difference is between these and Squeak-dev/beginner, which seem to be more balanced.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: about a digest for the mailing-list

Ok do you give a try?

Stef

On Jun 2, 2010, at 1:52 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For me I'm open to a lot of suggestions but at the end of the day is who can do it.
>
> A way is to have weekly news rather than monthly, it's shorter so less time to write it.
> I can participate but I want other people, so we can write in turns.
>
> As a rule we can take the 3 longer  threads of the week and write a summary (or copy/paste good messages). For each thread put a link in the news pointing to forum.world.st interface.
>
> Add a section 'Annoucements' for new or updated packages announced on mailing-list.
>
> Laurent
>

> Stef
>
> On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:37 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > we could have something a bit more detailed
> > then we could also reach people.
> > I do not know who is reading the blog
> > May be this is enough but the blog is not really active
> >
> > I prefer the blog, it makes some activity on the website.
> > Yes it's not really active.

> sound goods.
> How do we use that?
>

> > Laurent
> >

> > Stef
> > On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:18 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
> >

> > > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I think that lot of people are overwhelmed by the flux of mails. I would like get us doing the following:
> > >        - have an announce mailing-list with a low traffic and important announces
> > >        - having a monthly report of items.
> > >
> > > For the second point we could have a group of people picking info in the list and creating a wiki page and
> > > at the end of the month sending it in the announce list.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > > Who could help?
> > >
> > > Isn't it a duplicate effort of http://pharo-project.org/news ?
> > >
> > > Laurent Laffont
> > >
> > > http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> > > http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> > >

> > > Stef

Re: about a digest for the mailing-list

laurent laffont
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok do you give a try?

Just say "please" :D

Laurent

Stef

On Jun 2, 2010, at 1:52 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For me I'm open to a lot of suggestions but at the end of the day is who can do it.
>
> A way is to have weekly news rather than monthly, it's shorter so less time to write it.
> I can participate but I want other people, so we can write in turns.
>
> As a rule we can take the 3 longer  threads of the week and write a summary (or copy/paste good messages). For each thread put a link in the news pointing to forum.world.st interface.
>
> Add a section 'Annoucements' for new or updated packages announced on mailing-list.
>
> Laurent
>

> Stef
>
> On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:37 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > we could have something a bit more detailed
> > then we could also reach people.
> > I do not know who is reading the blog
> > May be this is enough but the blog is not really active
> >
> > I prefer the blog, it makes some activity on the website.
> > Yes it's not really active.

> sound goods.
> How do we use that?
>

> > Laurent
> >

> > Stef
> > On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:18 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
> >

> > > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I think that lot of people are overwhelmed by the flux of mails. I would like get us doing the following:
> > >        - have an announce mailing-list with a low traffic and important announces
> > >        - having a monthly report of items.
> > >
> > > For the second point we could have a group of people picking info in the list and creating a wiki page and
> > > at the end of the month sending it in the announce list.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > > Who could help?
> > >
> > > Isn't it a duplicate effort of http://pharo-project.org/news ?
> > >
> > > Laurent Laffont