about a pillar based output format for Epicea

about a pillar based output format for Epicea

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi martin

I would like to wlak over epicea objects and save the changed methods
to be able to write booklets faster.
What advices can you give me?
Create a special visitor?

Re: about a pillar based output format for Epicea

abergel
Pillar is becoming central in the way I produce documents.
Is there anyone working on improving Pillar?

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi martin
>
> I would like to wlak over epicea objects and save the changed methods
> to be able to write booklets faster.
> What advices can you give me?
> Create a special visitor?
>
> Stef

Re: about a pillar based output format for Epicea

Stephane Ducasse-3
I'm because Pillar is central to all my writings around Pharo (books,
slides,...).
We also want to use it for a lecture on open-source development.

Pillar got too complex and we should simplify its architecture.

I'm working on a new version of Cocoon but this tedious and I got
stuck in managing
initialisation of fields (from text to objects). now I will continue
to work but task switching is killing me.
Guillermo is helping me from time to time and damien helps me with the
makefile/latex.

I will first finish all the slides for my lectures at Prague first.

Now we made
- sure that we can run archetype without being forced to passed by the
command-line.
- and many changes and cleanup.
Now we should work on

- Make sure that we identify for real bugs showing up in the three
different archetypes (slides, books...).
- Avoid to convert to JSON files to apply mustache.

- Rethink the architecture.
      - Like removing the dependency on magritte from the core.
      - Avoid a lot of strange behavior related to metadata handling.

Stef

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pillar is becoming central in the way I produce documents.
> Is there anyone working on improving Pillar?
>
> Alexandre
>

>> On Aug 2, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi martin
>>
>> I would like to wlak over epicea objects and save the changed methods
>> to be able to write booklets faster.
>> What advices can you give me?
>> Create a special visitor?
>>
>> Stef

Re: about a pillar based output format for Epicea

Tim Mackinnon
Out of curiosity (as Pillar - well actually Ecstatic, was on my next hitlist to research), but is it so different from something like JavaScripts Metalsmith.io ? I found metalsmith’s publishing pipeline and plugin system quite intuitive and easy to use but I just didn’t like nodejs so much (and the crappy webpack/brunch auto reloading systems).

It struck me that what they were doing was quite trivial in Smalltalk and I assumed Pillar (and Ecstatic) were similar in concept. However when I had a peak it did look quite complicated and made me think that porting Metalsmith might be easier and in interesting personal project.

Anyway, might be worth a look if you want architectural inspiration.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

<[hidden email]> wrote:
Pillar is becoming central in the way I produce documents.
Is there anyone working on improving Pillar?

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Aug 2, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi martin

I would like to wlak over epicea objects and save the changed methods
to be able to write booklets faster.
What advices can you give me?
Create a special visitor?

Re: about a pillar based output format for Epicea

Stephane Ducasse-3
This is question of time and energy.
I should restart to work and make it smaller and nicer.
I want ecstatic too.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 10:21 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Out of curiosity (as Pillar - well actually Ecstatic, was on my next hitlist
> to research), but is it so different from something like JavaScripts
> Metalsmith.io ? I found metalsmith’s publishing pipeline and plugin system
> quite intuitive and easy to use but I just didn’t like nodejs so much (and
> the crappy webpack/brunch auto reloading systems).
>
> It struck me that what they were doing was quite trivial in Smalltalk and I
> assumed Pillar (and Ecstatic) were similar in concept. However when I had a
> peak it did look quite complicated and made me think that porting Metalsmith
> might be easier and in interesting personal project.
>
> Anyway, might be worth a look if you want architectural inspiration.
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 18:19, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm because Pillar is central to all my writings around Pharo (books,
> slides,...).
> We also want to use it for a lecture on open-source development.
>
> Pillar got too complex and we should simplify its architecture.
>
> I'm working on a new version of Cocoon but this tedious and I got
> stuck in managing
> initialisation of fields (from text to objects). now I will continue
> to work but task switching is killing me.
> Guillermo is helping me from time to time and damien helps me with the
> makefile/latex.
>
> I will first finish all the slides for my lectures at Prague first.
>
> Now we made
> - sure that we can run archetype without being forced to passed by the
> command-line.
> - and many changes and cleanup.
> Now we should work on
>
> - Make sure that we identify for real bugs showing up in the three
> different archetypes (slides, books...).
> - Avoid to convert to JSON files to apply mustache.
>
> - Rethink the architecture.
>     - Like removing the dependency on magritte from the core.
>     - Avoid a lot of strange behavior related to metadata handling.
>
> Stef
>

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Alexandre Bergel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Pillar is becoming central in the way I produce documents.
> Is there anyone working on improving Pillar?
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi martin
>
> I would like to wlak over epicea objects and save the changed methods
> to be able to write booklets faster.
> What advices can you give me?
> Create a special visitor?
>
> Stef

Re: about a pillar based output format for Epicea

tinchodias

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi martin

I would like to wlak over epicea objects and save the changed methods
to be able to write booklets faster.
What advices can you give me?
Create a special visitor?

For the record, I copy this small explanation from a private email:

---------
Epicea models:
- IDE events (refactorings, monticello) -> EpEvent
- code changes (class addition, method modification)  -> EpCodeChange

where EpCodeChange is subclass of EpEvent.

To create visitors you have EpTEventVisitor and EpTCodeChangeVisitor, that provide default visitXX: implementations.
----------

Stef, any update on the menu extension?

indeed I'm not proud of that method you included in another email. I didn't consider the need to extend such menu (besides it's ugly code, anyway).

Martín

Re: about a pillar based output format for Epicea

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi
for the menu I did a really ugly copy and paste and hack inside and
versioned in my package.
I did not find the time to think about menu building for Spec.

Stef