about and:and:and:and: and or:or:

Stéphane Ducasse
hi all

Jannik and jb started to replace all the
        and:and:
        and:and:and:
        and:and:and:and:
        and the same for or:

by they equivalent ie

1 =2 or: [ 1=3 ] or: [1=1]
=>
1 =2 or: [ 1=3  or: [1=1]]

the new compiler optimize both while the old one not.
So now I would like to see what do you think.

Personnally I do not like and:and:and: and more
Now for and:and: I'm hesitating.

Re: about and:and:and:and: and or:or:

Lukas Renggli
On 11 February 2010 20:53, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi all
>
> Jannik and jb started to replace all the
>        and:and:
>        and:and:and:
>        and:and:and:and:
>        and the same for or:
>
> by they equivalent ie
>
> 1 =2 or: [ 1=3 ] or: [1=1]
> =>
> 1 =2 or: [ 1=3  or: [1=1]]
>
> the new compiler optimize both while the old one not.
> So now I would like to see what do you think.
>
> Personnally I do not like and:and:and: and more
> Now for and:and: I'm hesitating.

I am against using #and:and: and #or:or:. It is slow, confusing and
incompatible with any other Smalltalk out there. Kill all users ;-)

Lukas

> Stef

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: about and:and:and:and: and or:or:

Nicolas Cellier
2010/2/11 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> hi all
>
> Jannik and jb started to replace all the
>        and:and:
>        and:and:and:
>        and:and:and:and:
>        and the same for or:
>
> by they equivalent ie
>
> 1 =2 or: [ 1=3 ] or: [1=1]
> =>
> 1 =2 or: [ 1=3  or: [1=1]]
>
> the new compiler optimize both while the old one not.
> So now I would like to see what do you think.
>
> Personnally I do not like and:and:and: and more
> Now for and:and: I'm hesitating.

IMO, the only value was for legibility.
But most time, I find nested code as readable.
Sure we could also optimize all kind of alternate forms...
But I'm not sure if it is a good idea to multiply compiler hacks...

Nicolas

> Stef

Re: about and:and:and:and: and or:or:

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok kill them all.
thanks for push me when I think too much :)

Stef