we are running building a tool to help understanding if class names are consistently named in a project.
We run and are running xp with some of you. Now I was thinking that the idea and the tool could interest many of you.
So if you want to run the xp here is the text:
Nour is developing a tool to support the understanding of the coherence of class names.
We would like to invite you to do a small experiment. The tool presents a visualisation of the distribution of the prefix/suffix (first/last word) extracted from class names.
The idea is to detect inconsistencies in class names and correct them for a healthy evolution of the system.
You can do the xp with other colleagues, it would be nice is you can do separately and then discuss together.
But this is up to you. 30 or 60 minutes of your precious time should be enough to do the experiment which is planned as follows:
- Read the pdf. This support contains detailed information and principles of the ClassNames Distribution.
- how to load the tools
- Help for the tool also provides a small summary of these principles as a reminder.
- To have detailed feedback from which we can extract the necessary analysis, we would also like you to screen record during the whole experiment, and to talk freely.
- Use the tool to detect inconsistencies, write down the changes you would like to make and discuss the classes you would like to rename.
- Send us feedback (videos + number of renaming + ///)
- Any other feedback is welcome :) we can help
Let us know if you encounter problems.
This experiment (with your feedbacks, the way you use the tool, the changes you would like to do…) is part of the validation of our tool that we would like to describe in the journal paper we are currently preparing.