about class name

Stéphane Ducasse
Hello Pharoers

we are running building a tool to help understanding if class names are consistently named in a project.
We run and are running xp with some of you. Now I was thinking that the idea and the tool could interest many of you.
So if you want to run the xp here is the text:

Nour is developing a tool to support the understanding of the coherence of class names.

We would like to invite you to do a small experiment. The tool presents a visualisation of the distribution of the prefix/suffix (first/last word) extracted from class names.
The idea is to detect inconsistencies in class names and correct them for a healthy evolution of the system.

XP:
===
You can do the xp with other colleagues, it would be nice is you can do separately and then discuss together.
But this is up to you.  30 or 60 minutes of your precious time should be enough to do the experiment which is planned as follows:

- Read the pdf. This support contains detailed information and principles of the ClassNames Distribution.
- how to load the tools
- Help for the tool also provides a small summary of these principles as a reminder.

- To have detailed feedback from which we can extract the necessary analysis, we would also like you to screen record during the whole experiment, and to talk freely.

- Use the tool to detect inconsistencies, write down the changes you would like to make and discuss the classes you would like to rename.

- Send us feedback (videos + number of renaming + ///)

- Any other feedback is welcome  :) we can help
Let us know if you encounter problems.

This experiment (with your feedbacks, the way you use the tool, the changes you would like to do…) is part of the validation of our tool that we would like to describe in the journal paper we are currently preparing.

Stef Nour and Anne

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

CnDSupport.pdf (3M) Download Attachment

Re: about class name

Kasper Osterbye
I am working alone on my app, but I can see the problem with inconsistency in class names. No discussions with my colleagues though :-/

One very high level comment is: had Pharo had namespaces/scopes of some sort I do believe the problem would have looked differently.

It it is interesting with a one person-project let me know.

Best,

Kasper

On 9 May 2021, at 20.25, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<CnDSupport.pdf>

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: about class name

Stéphane Ducasse
Sure it is.
You have all the information in the pdf. You can load the tool and nour can explain it to you in case.

On 28 May 2021, at 17:25, Kasper Osterbye <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

France

Re: about class name

ebatot
Hi Stéphane,

any follow up on the experiment ?
1. still up to participate? (e.g., in case you are in a major revision process ^^)
2. Any intersting foundings or publication to date? ('cause I'd be very interested !)
3. Any direct link to Smalltalk name handling? (for the sake of the forum :D and for personal insight, if I may)

Thanks,
Edouard