about code formatting in pharo

Torsten Bergmann
Gary wrote:
>The answer is that the code is formatted when viewing, from, potentially,
>unformatted code. Should please everyone.

+1

Looks like in Squeak the rules from Ward Cunningham are now used for pretty print:
http://c2.com/ppr/formatting.html#2

See Compiler-cmm.131.mcz in Squeak.

jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: about code formatting in pharo

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 3, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>> The answer is that the code is formatted when viewing, from, potentially,
>> unformatted code. Should please everyone.
>
> +1
>
> Looks like in Squeak the rules from Ward Cunningham are now used for pretty print:
> http://c2.com/ppr/formatting.html#2

I love them!
we should point the wiki to this page!!!

> See Compiler-cmm.131.mcz in Squeak.
>

> --
> Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
> jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: about code formatting in pharo

On Mar 3, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>> The answer is that the code is formatted when viewing, from, potentially,
>> unformatted code. Should please everyone.
>
> +1
>
> Looks like in Squeak the rules from Ward Cunningham are now used for pretty print:

what do you mean by now used?
Did they change that recently?

> http://c2.com/ppr/formatting.html#2
>
> See Compiler-cmm.131.mcz in Squeak.

Re: about code formatting in pharo

Adrian Lienhard
I don't like Beck's rule "3. Rectangular Block":

b ifTrue:
        [self clearCaches.
        self recomputeAngle]

I prefer (and this is how most other people format blocks in my experience):

b ifTrue: [
        self clearCaches.
        self recomputeAngle ]

Adrian

On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:03 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>
>> Gary wrote:
>>> The answer is that the code is formatted when viewing, from, potentially,
>>> unformatted code. Should please everyone.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Looks like in Squeak the rules from Ward Cunningham are now used for pretty print:
>> http://c2.com/ppr/formatting.html#2
>
> I love them!
> we should point the wiki to this page!!!
>

>> See Compiler-cmm.131.mcz in Squeak.
>>

>> --
>> Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
>> jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: about code formatting in pharo

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Really? That's the first time I've ever seen a lonely left bracket like that, in all my 15 years of Smalltalk experience!

So for me personally, Beck's rule 3 is the one that looks better.

Peter

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't like Beck's rule "3. Rectangular Block":

b ifTrue:
       [self clearCaches.
       self recomputeAngle]

I prefer (and this is how most other people format blocks in my experience):

b ifTrue: [
       self clearCaches.
       self recomputeAngle ]

Adrian

On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:03 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>
>> Gary wrote:
>>> The answer is that the code is formatted when viewing, from, potentially,
>>> unformatted code. Should please everyone.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Looks like in Squeak the rules from Ward Cunningham are now used for pretty print:
>> http://c2.com/ppr/formatting.html#2
>
> I love them!
> we should point the wiki to this page!!!
>

>> See Compiler-cmm.131.mcz in Squeak.
>>

>> --
>> Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
>> jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: about code formatting in pharo

Miguel Cobá
El mié, 03-03-2010 a las 10:19 +0100, Adrian Lienhard escribió:

> I don't like Beck's rule "3. Rectangular Block":
>
> b ifTrue:
> [self clearCaches.
> self recomputeAngle]
>
> I prefer (and this is how most other people format blocks in my experience):
>
> b ifTrue: [
> self clearCaches.
> self recomputeAngle ]

+1