about getting more SmallLint rules

Stéphane Ducasse
lukas

I would love to have a rule to check the uses of PopUpMenu,
FillInTheBlank and friends :)

Re: about getting more SmallLint rules

Lukas Renggli
I've added such a rule in the latest Refactoring-Core.

Cheers,
Lukas

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> lukas
>
> I would love to have a rule to check the uses of PopUpMenu,
> FillInTheBlank and friends :)
>
> Stef

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: about getting more SmallLint rules

Stéphane Ducasse
TX!!!!
I think that we should be more aggressive with the tools we have.
I'm currently going over the 25000 issues raised by SmallLint and
entering issues in the bugtracker.
I think that we will need to add annotations so that smallLint does
not get warning us
when we know that this is not a problem

Do you do it right now? how?

On Feb 14, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I've added such a rule in the latest Refactoring-Core.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> lukas
>>
>> I would love to have a rule to check the uses of PopUpMenu,
>> FillInTheBlank and friends :)
>>
>> Stef

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: about getting more SmallLint rules

Lukas Renggli
> Do you do it right now? how?

http://lukas-renggli.ch/blog/ignoring-lint-rules

It is a bit ugly and clutters the code. However this also has the
advantage that it pushes people to fix or rewrite their code.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: about getting more SmallLint rules

Adrian Lienhard

On Feb 14, 2009, at 13:54 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> TX!!!!
> I think that we should be more aggressive with the tools we have.
> I'm currently going over the 25000 issues raised by SmallLint and
> entering issues in the bugtracker.

wow, great!

> I think that we will need to add annotations so that smallLint does
> not get warning us
> when we know that this is not a problem

yes, this is very important. We do that with pragmas (see Lukas'
mail). Lint rules are part of the conventional tests and the rule is
that these must be green. There are cases where Lint complains but you
know it is ok. If we couldn't annotate these methods as ok, the whole
thing would not work.

In the long term, I think it would be really cool if we manage to get
the Pharo core Lint-clean!

Adrian

> Do you do it right now? how?
>

> On Feb 14, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> I've added such a rule in the latest Refactoring-Core.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lukas
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> lukas
>>>
>>> I would love to have a rule to check the uses of PopUpMenu,
>>> FillInTheBlank and friends :)
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: about getting more SmallLint rules

lukas
would it be possible to get the name of the selector which is sent but
not implemented in addition
to the methods that contain it.

BTW the messages sent but not implemented list is so large that I
get ... at the end of the stream printed in the window :)

Stef

On Feb 14, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2009, at 13:54 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> TX!!!!
>> I think that we should be more aggressive with the tools we have.
>> I'm currently going over the 25000 issues raised by SmallLint and
>> entering issues in the bugtracker.
>
> wow, great!
>
>> I think that we will need to add annotations so that smallLint does
>> not get warning us
>> when we know that this is not a problem
>
> yes, this is very important. We do that with pragmas (see Lukas'
> mail). Lint rules are part of the conventional tests and the rule is
> that these must be green. There are cases where Lint complains but you
> know it is ok. If we couldn't annotate these methods as ok, the whole
> thing would not work.
>
> In the long term, I think it would be really cool if we manage to get
> the Pharo core Lint-clean!

YESYESYES!!!
We have great tools and an extremely powerful language and we should use
them to make the code robust, nice and cool.