about hex

stephane ducasse
If I recall hex was removed because it was used for html related thing.

Stef

Looks like the hex method will be changed in Squeak and
we should keep track using this issue to see if Pharo has
to follow to keep compatible (also for Cog).

See

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151949.html

Re: about hex

Stéphane Ducasse
Levente
Now what hex should returns?

On Jul 19, 2010, at 9:33 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> If I recall hex was removed because it was used for html related thing.
>
> Stef
>

> Looks like the hex method will be changed in Squeak and
> we should keep track using this issue to see if Pharo has
> to follow to keep compatible (also for Cog).
>
> See
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151949.html

Re: about hex

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Levente
> Now what hex should returns?

If you mean Integer >> #hex then see here:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151957.html

Levente

> On Jul 19, 2010, at 9:33 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> If I recall hex was removed because it was used for html related thing.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> Looks like the hex method will be changed in Squeak and
>> we should keep track using this issue to see if Pharo has
>> to follow to keep compatible (also for Cog).
>>
>> See
>>
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151949.html

Re: about hex

Stéphane Ducasse
**Tx**

On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:07 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Levente
>> Now what hex should returns?
>
> If you mean Integer >> #hex then see here:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151957.html
>

> Levente
>

>> On Jul 19, 2010, at 9:33 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> If I recall hex was removed because it was used for html related thing.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>

>>> Looks like the hex method will be changed in Squeak and
>>> we should keep track using this issue to see if Pharo has
>>> to follow to keep compatible (also for Cog).
>>>
>>> See
>>>
>>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151949.html

Re: about hex

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Iirc, it was reintroduced in Pharo in relation to SqueakDBX, might want to check with Mariano that changes will be compatible/SqueakDBX is updated.

Cheers,
Henry

Den 19. juli 2010 kl. 23:05 skrev Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> **Tx**
>
> Stef
>

> On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:07 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Levente
>>> Now what    hex should returns?
>>
>> If you mean Integer >> #hex then see here:
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151957.html

Re: about hex

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks!

Stef

On Jul 20, 2010, at 2:46 AM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> Iirc, it was reintroduced in Pharo in relation to SqueakDBX, might want to check with Mariano that changes will be compatible/SqueakDBX is updated.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> Den 19. juli 2010 kl. 23:05 skrev Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>
>> **Tx**
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2699
>>
>> Stef

>>> If you mean Integer >> #hex then see here:
>>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151957.html
>>>

>>> Levente

Re: about hex

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Iirc, it was reintroduced in Pharo in relation to SqueakDBX, might want to check with Mariano that changes will be compatible/SqueakDBX is updated.

Hi Henrik. Indeed, it was included for SqueakDBX. Actually, not for itself, but the NATIVE postgresql driver used to depends in the chripto package. Then, the MD5 class was put in PharoCore so it didn't depend anymore. But the hex was missing.
Now...if you ask me if this change will affect the postgres native driver, I HAVE NO IDEA. The only thing I can do is to run the tests. But for that I need a postgres with encrypthion running handly.

Do you know Yanni?

Cheers

Mariano

Cheers,
Henry

Den 19. juli 2010 kl. 23:05 skrev Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> **Tx**
>
> Stef
>

> On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:07 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Levente
>>> Now what    hex should returns?
>>
>> If you mean Integer >> #hex then see here:
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151957.html

Re: about hex

Yanni Chiu
Originally, the NATIVE postgresql driver was (somewhat?) ANSI ST
incompatible. I had it working in VAST. Along the way, the Cryptography
package was added as a dependency to support MD5 passwords.

If #hex is not ANSI ST, then the postgres native driver is likely
unaffected by changes to #hex, other than its effect on MD5. I can
verify this later today.

--
Yanni

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Henrik Johansen
>
>     Iirc, it was reintroduced in Pharo in relation to SqueakDBX, might
>     want to check with Mariano that changes will be compatible/SqueakDBX
>     is updated.
>

> Hi Henrik. Indeed, it was included for SqueakDBX. Actually, not for
> itself, but the NATIVE postgresql driver used to depends in the chripto
> package. Then, the MD5 class was put in PharoCore so it didn't depend
> anymore. But the hex was missing.
> Now...if you ask me if this change will affect the postgres native
> driver, I HAVE NO IDEA. The only thing I can do is to run the tests. But
> for that I need a postgres with encrypthion running handly.
>
> Do you know Yanni?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: about hex

Stéphane Ducasse
tx!

I was thinking that we could keep old hex as hexDigits

Stef

On Jul 20, 2010, at 4:42 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Originally, the NATIVE postgresql driver was (somewhat?) ANSI ST incompatible. I had it working in VAST. Along the way, the Cryptography package was added as a dependency to support MD5 passwords.
>
> If #hex is not ANSI ST, then the postgres native driver is likely unaffected by changes to #hex, other than its effect on MD5. I can verify this later today.
>
> --
> Yanni
>

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>    Iirc, it was reintroduced in Pharo in relation to SqueakDBX, might
>>    want to check with Mariano that changes will be compatible/SqueakDBX
>>    is updated.
>> Hi Henrik. Indeed, it was included for SqueakDBX. Actually, not for itself, but the NATIVE postgresql driver used to depends in the chripto package. Then, the MD5 class was put in PharoCore so it didn't depend anymore. But the hex was missing.
>> Now...if you ask me if this change will affect the postgres native driver, I HAVE NO IDEA. The only thing I can do is to run the tests. But for that I need a postgres with encrypthion running handly.
>> Do you know Yanni?
>> Cheers
>> Mariano

Re: about hex

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Originally, the NATIVE postgresql driver was (somewhat?) ANSI ST
> incompatible. I had it working in VAST. Along the way, the Cryptography
> package was added as a dependency to support MD5 passwords.
>
> If #hex is not ANSI ST, then the postgres native driver is likely unaffected
> by changes to #hex, other than its effect on MD5. I can verify this later
> today.

It's a totally different #hex. The original issue is about Integer >>
#hex. PostgresV2 uses ByteArray >> #hex which is in the Cryptography
package and is independent of Integer >> #hex.

Levente

> --
> Yanni
>

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Henrik Johansen
>>
>>     Iirc, it was reintroduced in Pharo in relation to SqueakDBX, might
>>     want to check with Mariano that changes will be compatible/SqueakDBX
>>     is updated.
>>

>> Hi Henrik. Indeed, it was included for SqueakDBX. Actually, not for itself,
>> but the NATIVE postgresql driver used to depends in the chripto package.
>> Then, the MD5 class was put in PharoCore so it didn't depend anymore. But
>> the hex was missing.
>> Now...if you ask me if this change will affect the postgres native driver,
>> I HAVE NO IDEA. The only thing I can do is to run the tests. But for that I
>> need a postgres with encrypthion running handly.
>>
>> Do you know Yanni?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano

Re: about hex

Stéphane Ducasse
Levente /Eliot

I noticed that

$A hex on squeak
        -> 41
and in pharo
        -> '16r41'

I would like to have both consistent what do you think to have

$A hex
        -> '16r41'

$A printStringHex
        -> '41'

like that this is consistent with the behavior on integer.
Eliot I saw that to change the behavior on characters and I would like to know why.
I thought that it was for debugging purpose.

Re: about hex

Nicolas Cellier
I don't think Eliot changed that, he only changed Integer>>hex...
It seems that every implementation of hex did avoid to print the radix in Squeak 3.10. Was it intentional ?

Anyway, it will be hard to reach homogeneity because:
  Integer>>hex should print the radix for VMMaker compatibility
  ByteArray>>hex shouldn't for cypto compatibility

Nicolas

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I don't think Eliot changed that, he only changed Integer>>hex...

He didn't change it compared to the previous implementation, but he didn't
restore the pre 3.9 state.

> It seems that every implementation of hex did avoid to print the radix in
> Squeak 3.10. Was it intentional ?
>
> Anyway, it will be hard to reach homogeneity because:
>  Integer>>hex should print the radix for VMMaker compatibility
>  ByteArray>>hex shouldn't for cypto compatibility

ByteArray >> #hex is in the Cryptography package, and IMHO it should stay
there.

Levente

> Nicolas
>
> 2010/7/21 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>
>> Levente /Eliot
>>
>> I noticed that
>>
>> $A hex on squeak
>>        -> 41
>> and in pharo
>>        -> '16r41'
>>
>> I would like to have both consistent what do you think to have
>>
>> $A hex
>>        -> '16r41'
>>
>> $A printStringHex
>>        -> '41'
>>
>> like that this is consistent with the behavior on integer.
>> Eliot I saw that to change the behavior on characters and I would like to
>> know why.
>> I thought that it was for debugging purpose.
>>
>> Stef

Re: about hex

On Jul 21, 2010, at 6:49 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I don't think Eliot changed that, he only changed Integer>>hex...

No he did

Item was changed:
 ----- Method: Character>>hex (in category 'printing') -----
 hex
+       ^value printStringBase: 16!
-       ^value hex!

> It seems that every implementation of hex did avoid to print the radix in Squeak 3.10. Was it intentional ?
>
> Anyway, it will be hard to reach homogeneity because:
>   Integer>>hex should print the radix for VMMaker compatibility
>   ByteArray>>hex shouldn't for cypto compatibility

but crypto could use printStringHex so yes we can reach it.

> Nicolas
>
> 2010/7/21 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Levente /Eliot
>
> I noticed that
>
> $A hex on squeak
>        -> 41
> and in pharo
>        -> '16r41'
>
> I would like to have both consistent what do you think to have
>
> $A hex
>        -> '16r41'
>
> $A printStringHex
>        -> '41'
>
> like that this is consistent with the behavior on integer.
> Eliot I saw that to change the behavior on characters and I would like to know why.
> I thought that it was for debugging purpose.
>
> Stef

Re: about hex

This is not the answer to my question.
I talked about character>>hex, please reread my mail.

Stef

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> I don't think Eliot changed that, he only changed Integer>>hex...
>
> He didn't change it compared to the previous implementation, but he didn't restore the pre 3.9 state.
>
>> It seems that every implementation of hex did avoid to print the radix in
>> Squeak 3.10. Was it intentional ?
>>
>> Anyway, it will be hard to reach homogeneity because:
>> Integer>>hex should print the radix for VMMaker compatibility
>> ByteArray>>hex shouldn't for cypto compatibility
>
> ByteArray >> #hex is in the Cryptography package, and IMHO it should stay there.
>

> Levente
>

>> Nicolas
>>
>> 2010/7/21 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Levente /Eliot
>>>
>>> I noticed that
>>>
>>> $A hex on squeak
>>>       -> 41
>>> and in pharo
>>>       -> '16r41'
>>>
>>> I would like to have both consistent what do you think to have
>>>
>>> $A hex
>>>       -> '16r41'
>>>
>>> $A printStringHex
>>>       -> '41'
>>>
>>> like that this is consistent with the behavior on integer.
>>> Eliot I saw that to change the behavior on characters and I would like to
>>> know why.
>>> I thought that it was for debugging purpose.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: about hex

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> This is not the answer to my question.
> I talked about character>>hex, please reread my mail.

Well, it is. :)

For Character >> #hex :
In Squeak 3.8: $a hex -> '16r61'
In Squeak 3.9: $a hex -> MNU SmallInteger >> #hex
In Squeak 3.10: $a hex -> '61'
In Squeak 4.0: $a hex -> '61'
In Squeak 4.1: $a hex -> '61'
In Squeak 4.2-alpha: $a hex -> '61'

For Integer >> #hex :
In Squeak 3.8: 97 hex -> '16r61'
In Squeak 3.9: 97 hex -> MNU SmallInteger >> #hex
In Squeak 3.10: 97 hex -> '61'
In Squeak 4.0: 97 hex -> '61'
In Squeak 4.1: 97 hex -> '61'
In Squeak 4.2-alpha: 97 hex -> '16r61'

So Character >> #hex returns the same in Squeak 4.1 and 4.2, while
Integer >> #hex doesn't.

Levente

> Stef
>

>> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think Eliot changed that, he only changed Integer>>hex...
>>
>> He didn't change it compared to the previous implementation, but he didn't restore the pre 3.9 state.
>>
>>> It seems that every implementation of hex did avoid to print the radix in
>>> Squeak 3.10. Was it intentional ?
>>>
>>> Anyway, it will be hard to reach homogeneity because:
>>> Integer>>hex should print the radix for VMMaker compatibility
>>> ByteArray>>hex shouldn't for cypto compatibility
>>
>> ByteArray >> #hex is in the Cryptography package, and IMHO it should stay there.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Nicolas

Re: about hex

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks
Cool analysis
now my point is that it would make sense to have
hex always returning 16rXX
and printStringHex XX

Stef

> Well, it is. :)

My question is about having a consistent API accross Character>>hex and Integer>>hex
not about whether the behavior changed.

> For Character >> #hex :
> In Squeak 3.8: $a hex -> '16r61'
> In Squeak 3.9: $a hex -> MNU SmallInteger >> #hex
> In Squeak 3.10: $a hex -> '61'
> In Squeak 4.0: $a hex -> '61'
> In Squeak 4.1: $a hex -> '61'
> In Squeak 4.2-alpha: $a hex -> '61'

I got confused because since Character did a simple value hex and hex got changed
when I reverted I captured the new behavior

Still my question is valid.

> $a hex -> '16r61'

> In Squeak 4.1: 97 hex -> '61'
> In Squeak 4.2-alpha: 97 hex -> '16r61'
>
> So Character >> #hex returns the same in Squeak 4.1 and 4.2, while Integer >> #hex doesn't.

Screen shot 2010-07-21 at 7.15.51 PM.png (37K) Download Attachment

Re: about hex

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 21, 2010, at 6:49 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I don't think Eliot changed that, he only changed Integer>>hex...

No he did

Item was changed:
 ----- Method: Character>>hex (in category 'printing') -----
 hex
+       ^value printStringBase: 16!
-       ^value hex!

and that is a mistake.  It should stay the way it was and then Character hex would also have the 16r prefix.

But I'm caught between two stools, whether to move forward and make Character hex answer 16rXX or to move back and make Integer hex answer XX, and e.g. use phex for 16r...  Our  Teleplace images make heavy use of hex and assume it answers 16rXX so if we don't keep the 16r prefix I'll have to maintain a fork of the Cog VMMaker and that would make life even more difficult (I already have three forks, open-source Cog, production Teleplace and development Teleplace (threaded & separate ObjectMemory and Interpreter) but they all agree w.r.t. hex.

If you think adding the prefix to Character won't do too much harm then revert the change above so Character hex reads (as it does in our Teleplace images)

Character hex
    ^value hex

> It seems that every implementation of hex did avoid to print the radix in Squeak 3.10. Was it intentional ?
>
> Anyway, it will be hard to reach homogeneity because:
>   Integer>>hex should print the radix for VMMaker compatibility
>   ByteArray>>hex shouldn't for cypto compatibility

but crypto could use printStringHex so yes we can reach it.

> Nicolas
>
> 2010/7/21 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Levente /Eliot
>
> I noticed that
>
> $A hex on squeak
>        -> 41
> and in pharo
>        -> '16r41'
>
> I would like to have both consistent what do you think to have
>
> $A hex
>        -> '16r41'
>
> $A printStringHex
>        -> '41'
>
> like that this is consistent with the behavior on integer.
> Eliot I saw that to change the behavior on characters and I would like to know why.
> I thought that it was for debugging purpose.
>
> Stef

Re: about hex

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks eliot
I was thinking that having the same consistent behavior is cool.
What we could do is snapshot, for example, we say that Cog will only for 1.2Pharo and like that this may help you.

> > I don't think Eliot changed that, he only changed Integer>>hex...
>
> No he did
>
> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: Character>>hex (in category 'printing') -----
>  hex
> +       ^value printStringBase: 16!
> -       ^value hex!
>
> and that is a mistake.  It should stay the way it was and then Character hex would also have the 16r prefix.

ok I thought you had a specific need. So now I understand :)

> But I'm caught between two stools, whether to move forward and make Character hex answer 16rXX or to move back and make Integer hex answer XX, and e.g. use phex for 16r...

I like 16r for hex and printStringHex for XX

> Our  Teleplace images make heavy use of hex and assume it answers 16rXX so if we don't keep the 16r prefix I'll have to maintain a fork of the Cog VMMaker and that would make life even more difficult (I already have three forks, open-source Cog, production Teleplace and development Teleplace (threaded & separate ObjectMemory and Interpreter) but they all agree w.r.t. hex.

For me this is good I like hex 16rXX but I would like Character hex to be consistent.

> If you think adding the prefix to Character won't do too much harm then revert the change above so Character hex reads (as it does in our Teleplace images)
>
> Character hex
>     ^value hex

I really suggest that we (pharo and squeak) do that
        $A hex '16r41'

and we can add printString hex to character
Character>>printStringHex
        ^value printStringBase: 16

Stef