about libnui and licensing

Sebastien Metrot
Hi,

I'm the author of libnui which has been discussed here two days ago.
(i saw this list archive in the referer stats for libnui.net and was
curious ;-) ).

Some people seemed interested in nui but had concerns about it's
licensing. I summarized our choice of license in this wiki page: http://redmine.libnui.net/wiki/libnui/Licensing
  . We're not particularly happy with the GPL but we found no real
other option that permitted to fulfill our requirements listed on the
page.

As others have noted C++ is a very ugly language and recreating a
useable object model have been quite a chore. I'm curious about how we
could change nui to make it more friendly to other languages such as
smalltalk, knowing that C++ has always been a tad harder to
interoperate than, for example, C.

Thanks in advance,

Sébastien

Re: about libnui and licensing

Eagle Offshore
Wow, I can't believe one of the more engaged developers who is current
didn't engage on this (I am not actively working on Squeak or
derivations due to financial commitments but I lurk with interest and
wait for my next opportunity to engage).

Sebastien, thanks for taking the interest.  Smalltalk (and Squeak in
particular) has long struggled with licensing issues.  The system is
completely open so it seems relatively pointless to encumber it with
something like GPL.  For your historical interest, the community's
position on licensing (which is a little out of date as Pharo is going
MIT style I think) is found at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/159.

Perhaps someone else who knows more about the state of pharo could

-Todd Blanchard