about reliability of installer

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I was going over the chapter on installer and I played a bit with it.
But I got the following behavior

| monticello |
monticello := Installer monticello
                http: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/BreakOut'.
        monticello addPackage: 'BreakOut'.
        monticello install

this installed

breakout-rj.11
        while
        the latest one is Breakout-rkrk.119

and of course I did not want to load Breakout but BreakOut which is my
version.

So this experience shows me that Installer is a nice idea but that it
has unpredictable behavior
--- may be I should reimplement the api I need and make it work (now
keith will shout as usual)

Lukas is it because of such behavior that you got problem loading
seaside or other projects with it?

Re: about reliability of installer

Damien Cassou
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was going over the chapter on installer and I played a bit with it.
> But I got the following behavior
>
> | monticello |
> monticello := Installer monticello
>                http: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/BreakOut'.
>        monticello addPackage: 'BreakOut'.
>        monticello install
>

> this installed
>

> breakout-rj.11
>        while
>        the latest one is Breakout-rkrk.119

According to http://www.squeaksource.com/BreakOut/:
- the latest version of BreakOut is BreakOut-rk.11.mcz.
- the latest version of Breakout is Breakout-rkrk.119.mcz

The Installer seems to work quite fine for me, just spell the name of
the game correctly :-). Moreover, you can write something like the
following which is cleaner:

Installer ss
        project: 'BreakOut';
        addPackage: 'BreakOut';
        install

This will install Breakout-rkrk.119.mcz

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: about reliability of installer

Stéphane Ducasse

> According to http://www.squeaksource.com/BreakOut/:
> - the latest version of BreakOut is BreakOut-rk.11.mcz.
> - the latest version of Breakout is Breakout-rkrk.119.mcz
>
> The Installer seems to work quite fine for me, just spell the name of
> the game correctly :-).

I do not understand what you mean since I spelt it correctly.
BreakOut
and I got Breakout

.
monticello addPackage: 'BreakOut'.
monticello install
->
I get Breakout-rk and the package is NAMED Breakout and I did not ask
that one
but BreakOut

People apparently polluted my open repository.

> Moreover, you can write something like the
> following which is cleaner:
>
> Installer ss
> project: 'BreakOut';
> addPackage: 'BreakOut';
> install

For me this installs:
        Breakout-rk.11 and not Breakout...119

Now
> Installer ss
> project: 'BreakOut';
> addPackage: 'Breakout';
> install

install Breakout-rkrk.119.mcz

I was discussing with lukas and he told me that the notion of latest
in MC is bogus.
So we should not use it.

Re: about reliability of installer

keith1y
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I was going over the chapter on installer and I played a bit with it.
> But I got the following behavior
>
> | monticello |
> monticello := Installer monticello
> http: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/BreakOut'.
> monticello addPackage: 'BreakOut'.
> monticello install
>

> this installed
>

> breakout-rj.11
> while
> the latest one is Breakout-rkrk.119
>
> and of course I did not want to load Breakout but BreakOut which is my
> version.
>
> So this experience shows me that Installer is a nice idea but that it
> has unpredictable behavior
> --- may be I should reimplement the api I need and make it work (now
> keith will shout as usual)
>
> Lukas is it because of such behavior that you got problem loading
> seaside or other projects with it?
>
> Stef
Remember the old adage. Garbage in Garbage Out..

1. give Installer specifics.

2. use the api properly

3. dont expect  it to read your mind.

You got exactly what you asked for

Keith

Re: about reliability of installer

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do not understand what you mean since I spelt it correctly.

Have a look at the squeaksource page:
http://www.squeaksource.com/BreakOut/. You will see that the latest
mcz named BreakOut is BreakOut-rk.11.mcz. The latest one named

On Mar 16, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I do not understand what you mean since I spelt it correctly.
>
> Have a look at the squeaksource page:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/BreakOut/. You will see that the latest
> mcz named BreakOut is BreakOut-rk.11.mcz.

On the web it is BreakOut-rk.11 but when I load it I get Breakout-rk.11

> The latest one named
> Breakout is Breakout-rkrk.119.mcz.

But I see students fucked up my repository.