about slowdown between 38 and 39

Stéphane Ducasse-3
hi lukas

have you noticed a real slowdown between 3.8 and 3.9?
For my small comix application when I load and run the same version

In 3.8 full I reloaded from scratch everything from Pier 1.0.9
                Magritte-Model 242
                Magritte-Seaside 214
                XML-Parser 3
                Time millisecondsToRun: [ | bdb |
                        BDBase initialize.
                        BDBase resetBaseNamed: #BD.
                        bdb := BDBase new name: #BD.
                        bdb importMostRecentXML.] 1677

In 3.9 full reloaded from scratch everything from Pier 1.0.9
                Magritte-Model 242
                Magritte-Seaside 214
                XML-Parser 3
                Time millisecondsToRun: [ | bdb |
                        BDBase initialize.
                        BDBase resetBaseNamed: #BD.
                        bdb := BDBase new name: #BD.
                        bdb importMostRecentXML.] 21151

The import is basically using magritte and domparser.

I will run messageTally to see if I get some idea.

Re: about slowdown between 38 and 39

Lukas Renggli-2
> have you noticed a real slowdown between 3.8 and 3.9?
> For my small comix application when I load and run the same version

That's odd. Usually I found Squeak 3.9 much faster. Magnitudes faster.

> The import is basically using magritte and domparser.
>
> I will run messageTally to see if I get some idea.

Yes, it would be interesting to compare the traces. Maybe the parser
does something special in 3.9? Pier and Magritte use exactly the same
code in both versions.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: about slowdown between 38 and 39

stéphane ducasse-2
I found the problem and posted on squeak-dev

InputSensor.... is much much slower

Stef