about to integrate GTools, there is a command conflict who needs attention

about to integrate GTools, there is a command conflict who needs attention

EstebanLM
Hi guys,

We are on our way to integrate (finally) GTools into Pharo.
For now it will be the Playground and the Inspector, since the Debugger is still not ready.

Now, I’m facing a problem. The new command for playground (cmd+o) conflicts with some menyu commands: (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]). Since we cannot handle both, we need to choose one.
I do not have a clear idea, so I want your opinions.
So far, I think this:

1) cmd+o in playground is not so clear, maybe we could map thet to an “accept” (cmd+s) or an “execure” (cmd+e)…
2) we could map cmd+o+etc. to something else. But I do not know to what.

So, I hear opinions :)

Esteban

Re: about to integrate GTools, there is a command conflict who needs attention

Uko2
I have no idea what current (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]) stands for, so for me it’s ok to trash it.

I think that cmd+s can make sense.

And as we are here, I’d like to point out that I don’t like this shortcut chains. I’d prefer to have cmd+x to remove what is currently focused rather then
cmd+c+x, cmd+m+x and so on.

Uko

On 29 Aug 2014, at 12:19, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have no idea what current (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]) stands for, so for me it’s ok to trash it.

ehhhh, we are not talking about trash it… just remapping if needed :P
and those are commands for opening transcript, workspace, etc.

Esteban

On 29 Aug 2014, at 12:23, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2014, at 12:19, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what current (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]) stands for, so for me it’s ok to trash it.
>
> ehhhh, we are not talking about trash it… just remapping if needed :P
> and those are commands for opening transcript, workspace, etc.

oh, then this is useful :)

> Esteban
>

>> I think that cmd+s can make sense.
>>
>> And as we are here, I’d like to point out that I don’t like this shortcut chains. I’d prefer to have cmd+x to remove what is currently focused rather then
>> cmd+c+x, cmd+m+x and so on.
>>
>> Uko
>>
>> On 29 Aug 2014, at 11:54, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> We are on our way to integrate (finally) GTools into Pharo.
>>> For now it will be the Playground and the Inspector, since the Debugger is still not ready.
>>>
>>> Now, I’m facing a problem. The new command for playground (cmd+o) conflicts with some menyu commands: (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]). Since we cannot handle both, we need to choose one.
>>> I do not have a clear idea, so I want your opinions.
>>> So far, I think this:
>>>
>>> 1) cmd+o in playground is not so clear, maybe we could map thet to an “accept” (cmd+s) or an “execure” (cmd+e)…
>>> 2) we could map cmd+o+etc. to something else. But I do not know to what.
>>>
>>> So, I hear opinions :)
>>>
>>> Esteban

Re: about to integrate GTools, there is a command conflict who needs attention

Nicolai Hess

On 29 Aug 2014, at 12:23, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2014, at 12:19, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what current (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]) stands for, so for me it’s ok to trash it.
>
> ehhhh, we are not talking about trash it… just remapping if needed :P
> and those are commands for opening transcript, workspace, etc.

oh, then this is useful :)

> Esteban
>

>> I think that cmd+s can make sense.
>>
>> And as we are here, I’d like to point out that I don’t like this shortcut chains. I’d prefer to have cmd+x to remove what is currently focused rather then
>> cmd+c+x, cmd+m+x and so on.
>>
>> Uko
>>
>> On 29 Aug 2014, at 11:54, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> We are on our way to integrate (finally) GTools into Pharo.
>>> For now it will be the Playground and the Inspector, since the Debugger is still not ready.
>>>
>>> Now, I’m facing a problem. The new command for playground (cmd+o) conflicts with some menyu commands: (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]). Since we cannot handle both, we need to choose one.
>>> I do not have a clear idea, so I want your opinions.
>>> So far, I think this:
>>>
>>> 1) cmd+o in playground is not so clear, maybe we could map thet to an “accept” (cmd+s) or an “execure” (cmd+e)…
>>> 2) we could map cmd+o+etc. to something else. But I do not know to what.
>>>
>>> So, I hear opinions :)
>>>
>>> Esteban

What's the difference between cmd+o and cmd+d for the Playground?

Re: about to integrate GTools, there is a command conflict who needs attention

abergel
+1

Alexandre

On 29 Aug 2014, at 13:34, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 29 Aug 2014, at 12:23, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2014, at 12:19, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what current (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]) stands for, so for me it’s ok to trash it.
>
> ehhhh, we are not talking about trash it… just remapping if needed :P
> and those are commands for opening transcript, workspace, etc.

oh, then this is useful :)

> Esteban
>

>> I think that cmd+s can make sense.
>>
>> And as we are here, I’d like to point out that I don’t like this shortcut chains. I’d prefer to have cmd+x to remove what is currently focused rather then
>> cmd+c+x, cmd+m+x and so on.
>>
>> Uko
>>
>> On 29 Aug 2014, at 11:54, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> We are on our way to integrate (finally) GTools into Pharo.
>>> For now it will be the Playground and the Inspector, since the Debugger is still not ready.
>>>
>>> Now, I’m facing a problem. The new command for playground (cmd+o) conflicts with some menyu commands: (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]). Since we cannot handle both, we need to choose one.
>>> I do not have a clear idea, so I want your opinions.
>>> So far, I think this:
>>>
>>> 1) cmd+o in playground is not so clear, maybe we could map thet to an “accept” (cmd+s) or an “execure” (cmd+e)…
>>> 2) we could map cmd+o+etc. to something else. But I do not know to what.
>>>
>>> So, I hear opinions :)
>>>
>>> Esteban

What's the difference between cmd+o and cmd+d for the Playground?

I guess that in case you want to still be able silently do something, you need a separate cmd+d. Otherwise new cmd+p should be good enough.

Re: about to integrate GTools, there is a command conflict who needs attention

Tudor Girba-2

The difference is that Cmd+o will open a new pane on the result. It's like Cmd+i only it does not spawn another window.

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: about to integrate GTools, there is a command conflict who needs attention

Tudor Girba-2

Cmd+o cannot be mapped on Cmd+s because when you are in the code editor of the inspector, you want to both be able to accept the code and open the result of a selection.

In the moose image we remove the global bindings altogether, so I would be certainly fine with rebinding them. That is until we find a better solution :)

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

We are on our way to integrate (finally) GTools into Pharo.
For now it will be the Playground and the Inspector, since the Debugger is still not ready.

Now, I’m facing a problem. The new command for playground (cmd+o) conflicts with some menyu commands: (cmd+o+[w|t|etc]). Since we cannot handle both, we need to choose one.
I do not have a clear idea, so I want your opinions.
So far, I think this:

1) cmd+o in playground is not so clear, maybe we could map thet to an “accept” (cmd+s) or an “execure” (cmd+e)…
2) we could map cmd+o+etc. to something else. But I do not know to what.

So, I hear opinions :)

Esteban

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: about to integrate GTools, there is a command conflict who needs attention

Tim Mackinnon
Anything that starts to rationalise keystrokes is definitely appreciated. Particularly with thought to similar operations using the same keystrokes in different browsers.

While it's taken some effort to get used to the newer multi-key shortcuts, the fact that it allows more more-reasonably grouped keys is a win. I really want more keystrokes for refactorings and other code operations - that multi-keys makes room for.

So please keep pushing on this.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Hi,