access to pharoextras repository

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Could anyone provide me with access to the PharoExtras team on STHub?

I would need to modify a bit the ConfigurationOfXMLParser to load both Core and Tests by default.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"If you can't say why something is relevant,
it probably isn't."

Re: access to pharoextras repository

Camillo Bruni-3
aaan, you're a member

On 2013-03-09, at 03:28, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could anyone provide me with access to the PharoExtras team on STHub?
>
> I would need to modify a bit the ConfigurationOfXMLParser to load both Core and Tests by default.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you can't say why something is relevant,
> it probably isn't."

Re: access to pharoextras repository

stephane ducasse
It would be good to have a discussion because all the packages I did do not follow this.

what is the point to have a Tests group if the core and default already load them?

On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:27 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be good to have a discussion because all the packages I did do not follow this.
>
> what is the point to have a Tests group if the core and default already load them?

That is not what I said :).

We often get at least two groups in a configuration:
- Core - the real code
- Tests - the associated tests

The question is what should be loaded by 'default' (this is what gets loaded when you do not specify anything in the dependency).

By saying
        spec group: 'default' with: #('Core')
we say that by default we do not load tests.

If we do not specify any 'default', it will take by default everything, hence it will be equivalent in our case with
        spec group: 'default' with: #('Core' 'Tests');

I would want to favor the loading of tests by default. That is why, either we explicitly put the 'Tests' group in the 'default' group, or we do not specify a 'default' at all in trivial configurations like the ConfigurationOfXMLParser.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: access to pharoextras repository

stephane ducasse
> That is not what I said :).

ok I see :)

> We often get at least two groups in a configuration:
> - Core - the real code
> - Tests - the associated tests

Yes I tried to get consistent.

> The question is what should be loaded by 'default' (this is what gets loaded when you do not specify anything in the dependency).
Ok I forgot that one.

> By saying
> spec group: 'default' with: #('Core')
> we say that by default we do not load tests.

Yes and by default I would prefer to get the tests too :)

> If we do not specify any 'default', it will take by default everything, hence it will be equivalent in our case with
> spec group: 'default' with: #('Core' 'Tests');

Does it really load everything?
So default is ALL by default --- I forgot again.

> I would want to favor the loading of tests by default.

Me too.

> That is why, either we explicitly put the 'Tests' group in the 'default' group,

- I would go for this behavior because I do not like implicit behavior when this is about configuration
and I will start to write comments in all the configurations

        "default is used when nothing is specified by default it will load everything but better specify what everything is"

So once we agree I will start editing configurations like a mad.

Stef

> or we do not specify a 'default' at all in trivial configurations like the ConfigurationOfXMLParser.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Could anyone provide me with access to the PharoExtras team on STHub?
>>>
>>> I would need to modify a bit the ConfigurationOfXMLParser to load both Core and Tests by default.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "If you can't say why something is relevant,
>>> it probably isn't."
>>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: access to pharoextras repository

Ben Coman
stephane ducasse wrote:

>> That is why, either we explicitly put the 'Tests' group in the 'default' group,
>>

> - I would go for this behavior because I do not like implicit behavior when this is about configuration
> and I will start to write comments in all the configurations
>
> "default is used when nothing is specified by default it will load everything but better specify what everything is"
>

> So once we agree I will start editing configurations like a mad.
>
> Stef

In you book chapter about Configurations you might hint "why" it is
preferred to include Tests in default.  For me...
* people fresh to the package get some examples.
* encourages new tests to be added.  Having to find & load a 'Tests'
group at a later time would be an impediment to this.

You might also consider a convention for an 'Examples' group.

Re: access to pharoextras repository

stephane ducasse
yes good idea.!

On Mar 10, 2013, at 1:33 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> stephane ducasse wrote:
>>> That is why, either we explicitly put the 'Tests' group in the 'default' group,
>>>

>> - I would go for this behavior because I do not like implicit behavior when this is about configuration
>> and I will start to write comments in all the configurations
>> "default is used when nothing is specified by default it will load everything but better specify what everything is"
>>

>> So once we agree I will start editing configurations like a mad.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> In you book chapter about Configurations you might hint "why" it is preferred to include Tests in default.  For me...
> * people fresh to the package get some examples.
> * encourages new tests to be added.  Having to find & load a 'Tests' group at a later time would be an impediment to this.
>
> You might also consider a convention for an 'Examples' group.

Re: access to pharoextras repository

Hi doru

I addressed your point in
        XMLParser
        XMLWriter
        OPAX
        Pastell
        Soup

and I will pay attention that default always load the tests too.

Re: access to pharoextras repository

I added a section with this discussion to the Metacello chapter :)

Stef

On Mar 10, 2013, at 1:33 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> stephane ducasse wrote:
>>> That is why, either we explicitly put the 'Tests' group in the 'default' group,
>>>

>> - I would go for this behavior because I do not like implicit behavior when this is about configuration
>> and I will start to write comments in all the configurations
>> "default is used when nothing is specified by default it will load everything but better specify what everything is"
>>

>> So once we agree I will start editing configurations like a mad.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> In you book chapter about Configurations you might hint "why" it is preferred to include Tests in default.  For me...
> * people fresh to the package get some examples.
> * encourages new tests to be added.  Having to find & load a 'Tests' group at a later time would be an impediment to this.
>
> You might also consider a convention for an 'Examples' group.

Re: access to pharoextras repository

Tudor Girba-2
Great!

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."