albatross, magritte... and what else...

SeanTAllen
So after getting every Gemstone question I had answered at Smalltalk
Solutions,
I'm ready to start diving into serious Seaside development.

I did my first run through before I discovered Magritte, pity that...
So, I'm trying to collect information ahead of time on what various
add-on
tools should I be looking at in terms of Seaside development.

What blogs should I be checking out regularly to keep up to date with
interesting new tools?
Are there ones that arent linked to off of seaside.st that I should be
keeping an eye on?

Basically, I'm new here. Please bury me in information.
( and a url for albatross, just because i head about, doesnt mean i've
been able to find it...
apparently my google skills are lacking. )

Thanks in advance.

Re: albatross, magritte... and what else...

Markus Gälli-3

Am 24.06.2008 um 00:21 schrieb Sean Allen:

> So after getting every Gemstone question I had answered at
> Smalltalk Solutions,
> I'm ready to start diving into serious Seaside development.
>
> I did my first run through before I discovered Magritte, pity that...
> So, I'm trying to collect information ahead of time on what various
> add-on
> tools should I be looking at in terms of Seaside development.
>
> What blogs should I be checking out regularly to keep up to date
> with interesting new tools?

> Are there ones that arent linked to off of seaside.st that I should
> be keeping an eye on?
>
> Basically, I'm new here. Please bury me in information.
> ( and a url for albatross, just because i head about, doesnt mean
> i've been able to find it...
> apparently my google skills are lacking. )

Have a look here:
http://www.squeaksource.com/Albatross.html

Markus

Re: albatross, magritte... and what else...

Randal L. Schwartz

Sean> What blogs should I be checking out regularly to keep up to date with
Sean> interesting new tools?

I post smalltalk/seaside/squeak stuff to http://MethodsAndMessages.vox.com/
from time to time.

You should also be looking at planet.squeak.org and planet.smalltalk.org if
you can.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: albatross, magritte... and what else...

Ken G. Brown

What's the best documentation which could be used to convince management of the advantages of Seaside?
Is there a good one/two punch sort of article somewhere?
Any advice on the process of convincing management that is only just aware of Smalltalk?
Any important pitfalls?

Thx,
Ken G. Brown

At 11:22 PM -0700 6/23/08, [hidden email] wrote:

>Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:01:01 -0700
>From: [hidden email] (Randal L. Schwartz)
>Subject: Re: [Seaside] albatross, magritte... and what else...
>To: Sean Allen <[hidden email]>
>Cc: Seaside - general discussion <[hidden email]>

>Sean> What blogs should I be checking out regularly to keep up to date with
>Sean> interesting new tools?
>
>I post smalltalk/seaside/squeak stuff to http://MethodsAndMessages.vox.com/
>from time to time.
>
>You should also be looking at planet.squeak.org and planet.smalltalk.org if
>you can.
>
>--
>Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
><[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
>Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
>See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: albatross, magritte... and what else...

jgfoster
The most prominent Smalltalk advocates right now are James Robertson (http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
) and Randal Schwartz (http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/). Listen/
watch one of Randal's recent talks and get an idea of how he pitches
Seaside and Smalltalk. You can also take a look at the Smalltalk
Industry Council at http://www.stic.st/.

James Foster

On Jun 24, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> What's the best documentation which could be used to convince
> management of the advantages of Seaside?
> Is there a good one/two punch sort of article somewhere?
> Any advice on the process of convincing management that is only just
> aware of Smalltalk?
> Any important pitfalls?
>
> Thx,
> Ken G. Brown
>
> At 11:22 PM -0700 6/23/08, seaside-
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:01:01 -0700
>> From: [hidden email] (Randal L. Schwartz)
>> Subject: Re: [Seaside] albatross, magritte... and what else...
>> To: Sean Allen <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: Seaside - general discussion <[hidden email]>

>> Sean> What blogs should I be checking out regularly to keep up to
>> date with
>> Sean> interesting new tools?
>>
>> I post smalltalk/seaside/squeak stuff to http://MethodsAndMessages.vox.com/
>> from time to time.
>>
>> You should also be looking at planet.squeak.org and
>> planet.smalltalk.org if
>> you can.
>>
>> --
>> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503
>> 777 0095
>> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
>> Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
>> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
>> discussion

Re: albatross, magritte... and what else...

Randal L. Schwartz

Ken> Is there a good one/two punch sort of article somewhere?

My recent versions of the "Seaside: Your Next Web Framework" are really
shaping up to be the "extended elevator" talk.  If you can follow along with
the slides from
http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/presenting-seaside-at-myspacecom-headquarters.html
while listening to the video linked from
http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/look-ma-im-on-myspacetv.html -
that's the most complete pitch so far.  An abbreviated version of it was given
at Smalltalk Solutions, and they have my PDF of the slides, so you can watch
the STIC site for that to go up soon as well.

Ken> Any advice on the process of convincing management that is only just
Ken> aware of Smalltalk?  Any important pitfalls?

Management is always looking to *reduce risk*.  Smalltalk is one of the least
risky things you can choose because: (a) it's mature (b) the IDEs are also
mature (c) it's easy to learn for anyone who has an OO background, and (d)
there are multiple commercial and open-source vendor implementations.  My talk
addresses those points and more.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: albatross, magritte... and what else...

Randal L. Schwartz

Randal> Management is always looking to *reduce risk*.  Smalltalk is one of
Randal> the least risky things you can choose because: (a) it's mature (b) the
Randal> IDEs are also mature (c) it's easy to learn for anyone who has an OO
Randal> background, and (d) there are multiple commercial and open-source
Randal> vendor implementations.  My talk addresses those points and more.

It occurred to me that the riskiest part of choosing a Smalltalk solution for
part of the problem is that once people are exposed to Smalltalk, they won't
*want* to use any other language to maintain the rest of the legacy code.  :-)

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion