allSubclassesDoGently: ?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

Does anybody know what is the purpose of this message?
is it just the isInMemory that makes a difference?

withAllSuperAndSubclassesDoGently:
        probably superfluous too :)

Re: allSubclassesDoGently: ?

johnmci
I think you'll find it's documented in the class
ImageSegmentRootStub

It's all tied up in image segments, projects, etoys and the like, so in the past an attempt to ensure
that objects (classes) that were bundled up and stuffed into an image segment aren't faulted back in
unless you really mean it...

users of this are interesting, see for example
Dictionary>>at:ifPresentAndInMemory:

On 2010-01-17, at 1:10 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> isInMemory

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: allSubclassesDoGently: ?

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes of course.
Now since only a subpart of the system was using it it means that
imageSegment are most of the time reloaded.
So this is clearly a neat idea but not fully  working.

Stef

On Jan 17, 2010, at 10:27 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I think you'll find it's documented in the class
> ImageSegmentRootStub
>
> It's all tied up in image segments, projects, etoys and the like, so in the past an attempt to ensure
> that objects (classes) that were bundled up and stuffed into an image segment aren't faulted back in
> unless you really mean it...
>
> users of this are interesting, see for example
> Dictionary>>at:ifPresentAndInMemory:
>
> On 2010-01-17, at 1:10 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> isInMemory

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: allSubclassesDoGently: ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Does someone know what "gently" means for ?

it asks " S'il vous plait "   to each class  ?

Seriously, I don't understand. What about rename it to something like:

allSubclassesInMemoryDo  ?

what do you think ?

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes of course.
Now since only a subpart of the system was using it it means that
imageSegment are most of the time reloaded.
So this is clearly a neat idea but not fully  working.

Stef

On Jan 17, 2010, at 10:27 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I think you'll find it's documented in the class
> ImageSegmentRootStub
>
> It's all tied up in image segments, projects, etoys and the like, so in the past an attempt to ensure
> that objects (classes) that were bundled up and stuffed into an image segment aren't faulted back in
> unless you really mean it...
>
> users of this are interesting, see for example
> Dictionary>>at:ifPresentAndInMemory:
>
> On 2010-01-17, at 1:10 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> isInMemory

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: allSubclassesDoGently: ?

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 18, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Does someone know what "gently" means for ?
>
> it asks " S'il vous plait "   to each class  ?
>
> Seriously, I don't understand. What about rename it to something like:
>
> allSubclassesInMemoryDo  ?
>
> what do you think ?

Is this mechanism used? If not, we could even remove it... if we need it in the future,
we can redo it if needed. (and than nicer...)

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: allSubclassesDoGently: ?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 18, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Does someone know what "gently" means for ?
>
> it asks " S'il vous plait "   to each class  ?
>
> Seriously, I don't understand. What about rename it to something like:
>
> allSubclassesInMemoryDo  ?
>
> what do you think ?

Is this mechanism used? If not, we could even remove it... if we need it in the future,
we can redo it if needed. (and than nicer...)

I have been looked to that for a while. The method isInMemory seems to be used and wide spread it. I even like the idea behind that: some classes are not in memory. And it is cool that certain options don't want to search in ALL classes because if you do that you will bring all the classes again to memory.

Now for example, I explain myself why the OB doesn't bring all classes to memory (classes that I had in a segment) when browsing a class. And I think it is because it uses somehow this message (maybe I am wrong...just a few minutes analying it).

Now I would like to  to fix the implementors and senders because when I do then, all classes are bring (even from segments). Thus, I can replace that code to use this method.

What I really don't like at all is the name. What does gently has to do with inMemory ?  I would really like to refector that if nobody explains why

cheers

Mariano

       Marcus