[amber-lang] Morphic.js + Amber

Bernat Romagosa
Hi list,

These last weeks are being insane, I guess we've been isolated from other people's work for so long inside our images and environments that now we've gone mad with mixing everybody's work with ours. There's so much work already done in Javascript that we can painlessly integrate into Amber!

To name a few things that people have been mixing lately: HTML5 Canvas + Amber, PHP + Amber, NodeJS + Amber, Iliad + Amber...

So, here's the last insanity I've been playing with: http://i.imgur.com/8w2Qm.png

This is Morphic.js + Amber. Adding a very simple js snippet to the html file brings us the whole power of Morphic, and we can of course subclass Morph and write our own wrappers, methods and whatever we want. Since Morph.js is based on Squeak's Morphic, we all know the system pretty well, and the hyerarchy and methods feel very natural. We can inspect Smalltalk objects from the Morphic interface, or inspect Morphs from the Amber inspector... MAD!

Thank god I don't have internet at home because this is one of these days I wouldn't sleep a bit hacking around!

Keep up the good work guys, we're getting somewhere!

Bernat Romagosa.

Bernat Romagosa.

[amber-lang] Re: Morphic.js + Amber

Jens Mönig
Wow, I'm blown away, this is incredible!

Re: [amber-lang] Morphic.js + Amber

Francisco Garau

So, here's the last insanity I've been playing with: http://i.imgur.com/8w2Qm.png

Brilliant! This is awesome!

Is this work based on the lively kernel that Dan Ingalls have done a while ago?

This is Morphic.js + Amber. Adding a very simple js snippet to the html file brings us the whole power of Morphic, and we can of course subclass Morph and write our own wrappers, methods and whatever we want. Since Morph.js is based on Squeak's Morphic, we all know the system pretty well, and the hyerarchy and methods feel very natural. We can inspect Smalltalk objects from the Morphic interface, or inspect Morphs from the Amber inspector... MAD!

Re: [amber-lang] Morphic.js + Amber

Bernat Romagosa
Nope, these guys have nothing to do with Ingalls' work, AFAIK. If I recall, these are a group of programmers from Berkeley that ported Morphic to Javascript with the objective to build a web-based Scratch (which they are already doing). They're the same ones that created BYOB, a Scratch mod that allowed grouping blocks to build functions.

IMHO, LivelyKernel is too bloated for most cases, it's an amazing piece of work but it's huge and slow. It makes use of so many javascript features that the same application will look very different in different browsers, or even not work in some. On the contrary, Morphic.js is extremely simple, light and neat, and does pretty much everything we'll ever need to build "serious" GUIs on the web.

Today I'll try to write a simple application with a GUI to show what can be done by mixing Amber and Morphic.js.

Cheers! :)

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: [amber-lang] Morphic.js + Amber

laurent laffont

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nope, these guys have nothing to do with Ingalls' work, AFAIK. If I recall, these are a group of programmers from Berkeley that ported Morphic to Javascript with the objective to build a web-based Scratch (which they are already doing). They're the same ones that created BYOB, a Scratch mod that allowed grouping blocks to build functions.

IMHO, LivelyKernel is too bloated for most cases, it's an amazing piece of work but it's huge and slow. It makes use of so many javascript features that the same application will look very different in different browsers, or even not work in some. On the contrary, Morphic.js is extremely simple, light and neat, and does pretty much everything we'll ever need to build "serious" GUIs on the web.

Today I'll try to write a simple application with a GUI to show what can be done by mixing Amber and Morphic.js.

Bernat,

you're officially the ultimate Amber demo maker :)

Laurent.

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: [amber-lang] Morphic.js + Amber

Bernat Romagosa
Hahaha!

Well, we'll see if I succeed with this one, it's harder than I thought!

The API is almost 0% documented, and reading through the js files isn't proving very friendly...

Bernat Romagosa.

[amber-lang] Re: Morphic.js + Amber

Jens Mönig
Actually, I'm the author of Morphic.js. Someone (Markus Gaelli)
notified me of what you've been doing with it and I'm - well -
delighted certainly is an understatement. Morphic.js is a component
(the GUI) of UC Berkeley's NSF-funded project to reimplement BYOB as a
web app. I'm a huge fan of all things Smalltalk and Morphic in
particular and we're very glad to have both John Maloney and Dan
Ingalls on our advisory board.

So, the short-term plan is to rewrite BYOB in JS and call is Snap!.
But I'd personally like to take the concept of blocks based
programming eventually a lot further, along the lines of what I've
been experimenting in Squeak/BYOB with, which is to decompile it
directly into interactive graphics ("Elements"), see
http://www.chirp.scratchr.org/blog/?p=24. Plain JS seems to be lacking
the self reflective capabilities for someting like Elements, but Amber
sure makes my mouth water ... :-)

You guys are amazing, this is seriously awesome stuff here!

On Sep 21, 11:24 am, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Nope, these guys have nothing to do with Ingalls' work, AFAIK. If I recall,
> these are a group of programmers from Berkeley that ported Morphic to
> Javascript with the objective to build a web-based Scratch (which they are
> already doing<http://chirp.scratchr.org/dl/experimental/JsMorphic/nasciturus.html>).
> They're the same ones that created BYOB, a Scratch mod that allowed grouping
> blocks to build functions.
>
> IMHO, LivelyKernel is too bloated for most cases, it's an amazing piece of
> work but it's huge and slow. It makes use of so many javascript features
> that the same application will look very different in different browsers, or
> even not work in some. On the contrary, Morphic.js is extremely simple,
> light and neat, and does pretty much everything we'll ever need to build
> "serious" GUIs on the web.
>
> Today I'll try to write a simple application with a GUI to show what can be
> done by mixing Amber and Morphic.js.
>
> Cheers! :)
>
> 2011/9/21 Francisco Garau <[hidden email]>
>

> > So, here's the last insanity I've been playing with: <http://i.imgur.com/8w2Qm.png><http://i.imgur.com/8w2Qm.png>
> >http://i.imgur.com/8w2Qm.png
>
> > Brilliant! This is awesome!
>
> > Is this work based on the lively kernel that Dan Ingalls have done a while
> > ago?
>
> > <http://i.imgur.com/8w2Qm.png>This is Morphic.js<http://www.chirp.scratchr.org/blog/?p=34>+ Amber. Adding a very simple js snippet to the html file brings us the
> > whole power of Morphic, and we can of course subclass Morph and write our
> > own wrappers, methods and whatever we want. Since Morph.js is based on
> > Squeak's Morphic, we all know the system pretty well, and the hyerarchy and
> > methods feel very natural. We can inspect Smalltalk objects from the Morphic
> > interface, or inspect Morphs from the Amber inspector... MAD!

> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: [amber-lang] Re: Morphic.js + Amber

Bernat Romagosa
Hi Jens, nice to meet you!

There are so many coincidences here... I'm working at Citilab, where ESUG 2010 was held, and I sit table by table with the team that developed Scratch for Arduino. We've been following BYOB for a while too, it's an amazing mod!

Joan Güell and I have been trying to port Scratch to Pharo for a while, the project is called Scat (no, we were not aware of the other meaning of the word when we chose the name). You can find it here: http://code.google.com/p/scat/

The idea with Scat was exactly this: not only being able to develop Scratch modifications in a modern Smalltalk dialect and environment, but also picking the visual block abstraction to build applications for children (and others). Some of our ideas include live coding music composition and scientific simulations. The building block abstraction is really powerful and works very well for many different things in computing.

So, when we saw we could quite easily work with Morph.js and Amber at the same time, we quickly thought we could also mix Snap with Amber and have our dream fulfilled much earlier than we thought! Oh, except for the music part, sound in the web still sucks...

Anyway, let's keep in touch because it's quite clear that many of our interests and projects overlap! :)

Cheers,

Bernat Romagosa.

[amber-lang] Re: Morphic.js + Amber

Jens Mönig
Hi Bernat,

yes, let's definitely stay in touch!

You mentioned that documentation for Morphic.js is hard to find and
sparse - and that's true for now. I did include a highlevel intro
right in the JS file and I try to keep it reasonably up to date. The
other code components of Snap are still very much in flux and under
development. If there is anything about the API I can help you with
please do not hesitate to contact me.

-Jens

On Sep 21, 1:52 pm, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > are
> > > already doing<
> >http://chirp.scratchr.org/dl/experimental/JsMorphic/nasciturus.html>).
> > > They're the same ones that created BYOB, a Scratch mod that allowed
> > grouping
> > > blocks to build functions.
>
> > > IMHO, LivelyKernel is too bloated for most cases, it's an amazing piece
> > of
> > > work but it's huge and slow. It makes use of so many javascript features
> > > that the same application will look very different in different browsers,
> > or
> > > even not work in some. On the contrary, Morphic.js is extremely simple,
> > > light and neat, and does pretty much everything we'll ever need to build
> > > "serious" GUIs on the web.
>
> > > Today I'll try to write a simple application with a GUI to show what can

Nicolas Petton
Guys, I think Amber on top of Morphic.js just rocks!

Thanks Bernat, it's an awesome example of JS integration for
Smalltalkers (and of course thanks Jens for writing Morphic.js in the
first place!)

Now I think that with a simple mapping of the Morphic constructor into
an Amber class we would have the full power of it. I know I'm against JS
library bindings, but here being able to subclass Morphic would really
be a must have.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [amber-lang] Re: Morphic.js + Amber

Bernat Romagosa
YES! +n!

I'm building this small demo but it's no bed of roses... we definitely could use a nice wrapper! :)

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: [amber-lang] Re: Morphic.js + Amber

Francisco Garau
I'm excited! - do you guys know the MorphicWrappers? It would be cool to type-in-the-air in a web browser and interact with the Amber objects!

- Francisco

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr