amber newbie struggles

rofako akeme
Been trying to follow "getting started on github", but without much success; I think I have tried every possible way described on github but I am unable to open the class browser when I click on the "open class browser button".
- I tried with the latest from github, no success
- I tried with bowel and still no success

Has anybody run the "hello world" application following the description lately?

Re: amber newbie struggles

rofako akeme
I just found out, it could not load IDE.js because it was looking for es5shim from some bower_component. Therefore I generated it with "bower install amber --save" and copied that bower_component into vendor/amber/.
Still, the open browser button is not working for me. I have high hopes with amber after running away from dart and elm.

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:05:37 PM UTC+1, rofako akeme wrote:
Been trying to follow "getting started on github", but without much success; I think I have tried every possible way described on github but I am unable to open the class browser when I click on the "open class browser button".
- I tried with the latest from github, no success
- I tried with bowel and still no success

Has anybody run the "hello world" application following the description lately?

Re: amber newbie struggles

Hannes Hirzel
On 2/2/14, rofako akeme <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Been trying to follow "getting started on github", but without much
> success; I think I have tried every possible way described on github but I
> am unable to open the class browser when I click on the "open class browser
>
> button".
> - I tried with the latest from github, no success
> - I tried with bowel and still no success
>
> Has anybody run the "hello world" application following the description
> lately?

I did not recently, but did you check out
    http://docs.amber-lang.net/
?
Though unfinished it should get you there in combination with what is
on the wiki.

Hannes

Re: amber newbie struggles

Herby Vojčík
Forget /vendor/amber and all that's in the wiki, the wiki just did not
catch with the progress of the actual code. Don't do any black magic
like "copy from bower_components to vendor", no, this will never work,
you just get lost in the complexity where you try to mix two different
worlds.

Do install amber as shown in the git README (npm, bower), and continue
with the docs website as Hannes pointed.

(There is a little bug in 0.12.3 which renders code in docs website
nonworking, but it needs just a small change to the code presented in
the docs to make it work and I am going to fix it just now, so it will
be correct until you get to it)

Herby

rofako akeme wrote:

> I just found out, it could not load IDE.js because it was looking for
> es5shim from some bower_component. Therefore I generated it with "bower
> install amber --save" and copied that bower_component into vendor/amber/.
> Still, the open browser button is not working for me. I have high hopes
> with amber after running away from dart and elm.
>
> On Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:05:37 PM UTC+1, rofako akeme wrote:
>
>     Been trying to follow "getting started on github", but without much
>     success; I think I have tried every possible way described on github
>     but I am unable to open the class browser when I click on the "open
>     class browser button".
>     - I tried with the latest from github, no success
>     - I tried with bowel and still no success
>
>     Has anybody run the "hello world" application following the
>     description lately?

Re: amber newbie struggles

rofako akeme

Got it working...The wiki really confused the hell out of me though; but everything is all good. Time to start doing some real work.

Thanks Hannes.

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:07:46 PM UTC+1, Hannes wrote:
On 2/2/14, rofako akeme <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="m9z7hHgKqzwJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">akeme...@...> wrote:

> Been trying to follow "getting started on github", but without much
> success; I think I have tried every possible way described on github but I
> am unable to open the class browser when I click on the "open class browser
>
> button".
> - I tried with the latest from github, no success
> - I tried with bowel and still no success
>
> Has anybody run the "hello world" application following the description
> lately?

I did not recently, but did you check out
?
Though unfinished it should get you there in combination with what is
on the wiki.

Hannes

Re: amber newbie struggles

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

Here's a super quick starting guide:

npm install -g amber

cd /path/to/myproject
bower init

bower install amber --save

then create an index.html file with the following in <head>

<script
          type='text/javascript'
          src='bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js'>
</script>
<script
          type='text/javascript'
          src='bower_components/amber/support/amber.js'>
</script>

now you can load Amber:

<script type='text/javascript'>
          require(['amber/devel'], function (amber) {
  amber.initialize({});
          });
</script>

Hope this helps :)