[ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

We are happy to announce that based on the work of Glenn, Alex extended Bloc (Sparta) to work directly in the Morphic world using Cairo as a backend.

Cairo is less powerful than Moz2D (see the screenshot below for an example), but the implementation addresses a concern that the community raised regarding a perceived increased liability due to the dependency to Moz2D. Essentially this means that Bloc can be treated as another graphical library that can coexist with Morphic without requiring any external VM plugin.

I would also like to point out that adding a new backend and host was possible because of the many iterations (including throwing away whole implementations) that Alex and Glenn went through. I think they did an amazing job.

You can find a bit more details about Bloc here:
http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/bloc-flexible-backends-hosts/

Another issue raised regarding Bloc was that of the engineering effort required to make it a reality. That is why I would also like to announce that Alex joined feenk.com where he is primarily working on the graphical stack for Pharo.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

philippe.back@highoctane.be
Definitely great!

It is nice to see feenk getting more Pharo solid engineering super powers.

Phil

Le 8 mai 2017 23:00, "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

NorbertHartl
Very good work. Thanks for that!

Norbert
Am 08.05.2017 um 23:00 schrieb Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

We are happy to announce that based on the work of Glenn, Alex extended Bloc (Sparta) to work directly in the Morphic world using Cairo as a backend.

Cairo is less powerful than Moz2D (see the screenshot below for an example), but the implementation addresses a concern that the community raised regarding a perceived increased liability due to the dependency to Moz2D. Essentially this means that Bloc can be treated as another graphical library that can coexist with Morphic without requiring any external VM plugin.

<bloc-two-backends-morphic-host-figures.png>

I would also like to point out that adding a new backend and host was possible because of the many iterations (including throwing away whole implementations) that Alex and Glenn went through. I think they did an amazing job.

You can find a bit more details about Bloc here:
http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/bloc-flexible-backends-hosts/

Another issue raised regarding Bloc was that of the engineering effort required to make it a reality. That is why I would also like to announce that Alex joined feenk.com where he is primarily working on the graphical stack for Pharo.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

abergel
This is amazing! I gave a try an it really looks great!

Alexandre

> On May 8, 2017, at 6:00 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We are happy to announce that based on the work of Glenn, Alex extended Bloc (Sparta) to work directly in the Morphic world using Cairo as a backend.
>
> Cairo is less powerful than Moz2D (see the screenshot below for an example), but the implementation addresses a concern that the community raised regarding a perceived increased liability due to the dependency to Moz2D. Essentially this means that Bloc can be treated as another graphical library that can coexist with Morphic without requiring any external VM plugin.
>
> <bloc-two-backends-morphic-host-figures.png>
>
> I would also like to point out that adding a new backend and host was possible because of the many iterations (including throwing away whole implementations) that Alex and Glenn went through. I think they did an amazing job.
>
> You can find a bit more details about Bloc here:
> http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/bloc-flexible-backends-hosts/
>
> Another issue raised regarding Bloc was that of the engineering effort required to make it a reality. That is why I would also like to announce that Alex joined feenk.com where he is primarily working on the graphical stack for Pharo.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

Stephan Eggermont-3
Nice! How do I use it? If I load the cairo/morphic version a lot of the examples produce debuggers

Stephan

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 9 mei 2017 om 16:11 heeft Ben Coman <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

If I understand correctly:
- you used the latest Pharo 6.0 and the stable Pharo VM
- you downloaded the code with:
Metacello new
  baseline: 'Bloc';
  repository: 'github://pharo-graphics/Bloc/src';
  load:#core

And then which examples do not work?

For example, BlBasicExamples>>exampleGeometry should work.

Doru

> On May 9, 2017, at 4:59 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nice! How do I use it? If I load the cairo/morphic version a lot of the examples produce debuggers
>
> Stephan
>
> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
>
> Op 9 mei 2017 om 16:11 heeft Ben Coman <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Glad to hear this. Sounds like good times ahead for Bloc.
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 5:00 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are happy to announce that based on the work of Glenn, Alex extended Bloc (Sparta) to work directly in the Morphic world using Cairo as a backend.
>>
>> Cairo is less powerful than Moz2D (see the screenshot below for an example), but the implementation addresses a concern that the community raised regarding a perceived increased liability due to the dependency to Moz2D. Essentially this means that Bloc can be treated as another graphical library that can coexist with Morphic without requiring any external VM plugin.
>>
>> <bloc-two-backends-morphic-host-figures.png>
>>
>> I would also like to point out that adding a new backend and host was possible because of the many iterations (including throwing away whole implementations) that Alex and Glenn went through. I think they did an amazing job.
>>
>> You can find a bit more details about Bloc here:
>> http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/bloc-flexible-backends-hosts/
>>
>> Another issue raised regarding Bloc was that of the engineering effort required to make it a reality. That is why I would also like to announce that Alex joined feenk.com where he is primarily working on the graphical stack for Pharo.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

“Software has no shape. Actually, it has no one shape. It has many."

Re: [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

Stephan Eggermont-3

> Op 9 mei 2017 om 17:05 heeft Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> If I understand correctly:
> - you used the latest Pharo 6.0 and the stable Pharo VM

Now I also updated my vm again. Win 7 Pro, 60483, stable-20170503. Loading goes wrong with older vm, the resulting image does not work

> - you downloaded the code with:
> Metacello new
>  baseline: 'Bloc';
>  repository: 'github://pharo-graphics/Bloc/src';
>  load:#core
>
> And then which examples do not work?

BlInfiniteLinearLayoutExamples>>exampleClasses

Instance of SpText did not understand: #lockDuring:

Error: Wrong layout state! It should be: 4 but it is 2

> For example, BlBasicExamples>>exampleGeometry should work.

That works

Stephan

> Doru
>

>> On May 9, 2017, at 4:59 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Nice! How do I use it? If I load the cairo/morphic version a lot of the examples produce debuggers
>>
>> Stephan
>>
>> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
>>
>>> Op 9 mei 2017 om 16:11 heeft Ben Coman <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>>
>>> Glad to hear this. Sounds like good times ahead for Bloc.
>>> cheers -ben
>>>
>>> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 5:00 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are happy to announce that based on the work of Glenn, Alex extended Bloc (Sparta) to work directly in the Morphic world using Cairo as a backend.
>>>
>>> Cairo is less powerful than Moz2D (see the screenshot below for an example), but the implementation addresses a concern that the community raised regarding a perceived increased liability due to the dependency to Moz2D. Essentially this means that Bloc can be treated as another graphical library that can coexist with Morphic without requiring any external VM plugin.
>>>
>>> <bloc-two-backends-morphic-host-figures.png>
>>>
>>> I would also like to point out that adding a new backend and host was possible because of the many iterations (including throwing away whole implementations) that Alex and Glenn went through. I think they did an amazing job.
>>>
>>> You can find a bit more details about Bloc here:
>>> http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/bloc-flexible-backends-hosts/
>>>
>>> Another issue raised regarding Bloc was that of the engineering effort required to make it a reality. That is why I would also like to announce that Alex joined feenk.com where he is primarily working on the graphical stack for Pharo.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> “Software has no shape. Actually, it has no one shape. It has many."

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

Torsten Bergmann
When I try to download on OSX the #dev version as outlined on Tudors blog
the download of the Moz2D lib for OSX fails: code tries to #download in
class MozLibraryMacInstaller from

http://syrel.ch/download.php?url=https://dl.bintray.com/syrel/Moz2D/osx/development/i386/libMoz2D.dylib

which just hangs as it is not receiving a response.

Any comments?

Thx
T.

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 09. Mai 2017 um 14:04 Uhr
> Von: "Alexandre Bergel" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "Moose-related development" <[hidden email]>, "Any question about pharo is welcome" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic
>
> This is amazing! I gave a try an it really looks great!
>
> Alexandre
>

> > On May 8, 2017, at 6:00 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are happy to announce that based on the work of Glenn, Alex extended Bloc (Sparta) to work directly in the Morphic world using Cairo as a backend.
> >
> > Cairo is less powerful than Moz2D (see the screenshot below for an example), but the implementation addresses a concern that the community raised regarding a perceived increased liability due to the dependency to Moz2D. Essentially this means that Bloc can be treated as another graphical library that can coexist with Morphic without requiring any external VM plugin.
> >
> > <bloc-two-backends-morphic-host-figures.png>
> >
> > I would also like to point out that adding a new backend and host was possible because of the many iterations (including throwing away whole implementations) that Alex and Glenn went through. I think they did an amazing job.
> >
> > You can find a bit more details about Bloc here:
> > http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/bloc-flexible-backends-hosts/
> >
> > Another issue raised regarding Bloc was that of the engineering effort required to make it a reality. That is why I would also like to announce that Alex joined feenk.com where he is primarily working on the graphical stack for Pharo.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> > www.feenk.com
> >
> > "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

Aliaksei Syrel
Hi Torsten,

There might be a random problem with "proxy" server. The initial problem is that I could not find a way how to download a file from bintray.com using Pharo built-in download services. That is why I had to create a "proxy" server based on my private page as a temporary workaround.

I tried it now with the image 60483 and it worked... Please, try again, maybe it will work.

P.S. Sometimes our CI builds fails because of Moz2D download, which hangs and then throws timeout error. Well, at least we have #core that works 100% regardless of anything :D

Cheers,
Alex

On 10 May 2017 at 13:15, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I try to download on OSX the #dev version as outlined on Tudors blog
the download of the Moz2D lib for OSX fails: code tries to #download in
class MozLibraryMacInstaller from

http://syrel.ch/download.php?url=https://dl.bintray.com/syrel/Moz2D/osx/development/i386/libMoz2D.dylib

which just hangs as it is not receiving a response.

Any comments?

Thx
T.

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 09. Mai 2017 um 14:04 Uhr
> Von: "Alexandre Bergel" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "Moose-related development" <[hidden email]>, "Any question about pharo is welcome" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic
>
> This is amazing! I gave a try an it really looks great!
>
> Alexandre
>

> > On May 8, 2017, at 6:00 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are happy to announce that based on the work of Glenn, Alex extended Bloc (Sparta) to work directly in the Morphic world using Cairo as a backend.
> >
> > Cairo is less powerful than Moz2D (see the screenshot below for an example), but the implementation addresses a concern that the community raised regarding a perceived increased liability due to the dependency to Moz2D. Essentially this means that Bloc can be treated as another graphical library that can coexist with Morphic without requiring any external VM plugin.
> >
> > <bloc-two-backends-morphic-host-figures.png>
> >
> > I would also like to point out that adding a new backend and host was possible because of the many iterations (including throwing away whole implementations) that Alex and Glenn went through. I think they did an amazing job.
> >
> > You can find a bit more details about Bloc here:
> > http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/bloc-flexible-backends-hosts/
> >
> > Another issue raised regarding Bloc was that of the engineering effort required to make it a reality. That is why I would also like to announce that Alex joined feenk.com where he is primarily working on the graphical stack for Pharo.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> > www.feenk.com
> >
> > "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Pharo-users] [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

abergel
Hi Alain!

Thanks for the mail (even if the historial part has always been pretty clear to me).
We miss you! Be back soon!

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

From: Alain Plantec <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic
Date: May 11, 2017 at 12:36:36 PM GMT-3
To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
Cc: Alain Plantec <[hidden email]>, Moose-related development <[hidden email]>, Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>

Hello Doru, all,

I’m really happy to see Bloc progresses.
Even I’m not active since more than one year, Bloc is still an important project for me.

but let me complete this short historical presentation a little bit.

Bloc is a project that I initiated in 2013 in collaboration with RMOD following experiments made around the ROME project.
The idea was to completely revisit the 2D framework of Pharo to address Morphic limits.
Following an invitation of the Software Composition Group (thanks to Oscar Nierstrasz and to Doru here),
I presented the first version of Bloc at Bern (March, 2015), then Doru and Aliaksel joined the project.
One year ago, during his PhD at Brest, Glenn Cavarle produced a new version of the Bloc infrastructure that is now the
one used together with the layouting system that was implemented by Aliaksel.

Please, do not use the humane assessment web site but the github project one instead.

I will restart working on Bloc/Brick soon in the context of a project that we recently signed with the Thales company.

Thanks,
Cheers

Alain

On 8 mai 2017, at 23:00, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Indeed, this is wonderful news that you will rejoin your baby project :).

Cheers,
Doru

> [...]
>>>
>>> <bloc-two-backends-morphic-host-figures.png>
>>>
>>> I would also like to point out that adding a new backend and host was possible because of the many iterations (including throwing away whole implementations) that Alex and Glenn went through. I think they did an amazing job.
>>>
>>> You can find a bit more details about Bloc here:
>>> http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/bloc-flexible-backends-hosts/
>>>
>>> Another issue raised regarding Bloc was that of the engineering effort required to make it a reality. That is why I would also like to announce that Alex joined feenk.com where he is primarily working on the graphical stack for Pharo.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

"Yesterday is a fact.
 Tomorrow is a possibility.
 Today is a challenge."

Re: [ann] bloc & cairo+morphic

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

It seems that my initial message generated a misunderstanding.

My original blog post was meant to communicate two things:
1. That the known Bloc project has received a new feature that the community raised as a problem (i.e., host & backend).
2. Address the other concern that the community raised: how to sustain the Bloc development in terms of engineering effort. This is why we announced the financial support for the work of Alex that is valid from this point on.

The post was certainly not intended to overlook the people that contributed to the overall project. I apologize if it looked like this.

To clarify the historical perspective, we now added an explicit history page on the official project page:
https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Bloc/blob/master/HISTORY.md

I also changed the blog post to more clearly communicate the intent:
http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/bloc-flexible-backends-hosts/

I hope this addresses the concerns. I am really excited that Alain joined and that we can get even more traction around Bloc.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com