[ann] pillar text editor

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Pillar now ships with a text editor that also features a syntax highlighter.

So, now, if you load the development version of Pillar:

Gofer new
    smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
    configuration;
    loadDevelopment.

You will have an extra presentation when inspecting a .pillar file:

The new thing here is that the highlighter is based on the Pillar PetitParser, and it is extensible for highlighting more parts if needed. The highlighting also can support actions. For example, the picture above shows the file to the right after clicking on the reference.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Things happen when they happen,
not when you talk about them happening."

Re: [Moose-dev] [ann] pillar text editor

kilon.alios
Your awesomeness burns so bright you will be soon supernova

Congrats and thank you
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 at 00:24, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

pillar-editor.png (613K) Download Attachment
pillar-editor.png (613K) Download Attachment

Re: [ann] pillar text editor

philippeback
Doru,

This looks very nice.

I used a previous version of this I think.

Is performance better?

Phil

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 11:23 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Pillar now ships with a text editor that also features a syntax highlighter.

So, now, if you load the development version of Pillar:

Gofer new
    smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
    configuration;
    loadDevelopment.

You will have an extra presentation when inspecting a .pillar file:

The new thing here is that the highlighter is based on the Pillar PetitParser, and it is extensible for highlighting more parts if needed. The highlighting also can support actions. For example, the picture above shows the file to the right after clicking on the reference.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Things happen when they happen,
not when you talk about them happening."

Re: [ann] pillar text editor

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Oct 9, 2016, at 11:49 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Doru,
>
> This looks very nice.
>
> I used a previous version of this I think.
>
> Is performance better?

The performance is a bit better, but more importantly, it is more extensible and can be kept in sync with the official parser.

Cheers,
Doru

> Phil
>
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 11:23 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pillar now ships with a text editor that also features a syntax highlighter.
>
> So, now, if you load the development version of Pillar:
>
> Gofer new
>     smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
>     configuration;
>     loadDevelopment.
>
> You will have an extra presentation when inspecting a .pillar file:
>
> <pillar-editor.png>
>
> The new thing here is that the highlighter is based on the Pillar PetitParser, and it is extensible for highlighting more parts if needed. The highlighting also can support actions. For example, the picture above shows the file to the right after clicking on the reference.
>
> Please take a look and let me know what you think.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Things happen when they happen,
> not when you talk about them happening."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Re: [ann] pillar text editor

stepharo

Doru

do you think that we could get a simple visitor that could create a preview in Pharo?

One of the things I would like is:

    - minimal package for a pillar core so that we can display class comment using pillar

    - a nice looking set of fonts

Stef

Le 9/10/16 à 23:23, Tudor Girba a écrit :
Hi,

Pillar now ships with a text editor that also features a syntax highlighter.

So, now, if you load the development version of Pillar:

Gofer new
    smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
    configuration;
    loadDevelopment.

You will have an extra presentation when inspecting a .pillar file:

The new thing here is that the highlighter is based on the Pillar PetitParser, and it is extensible for highlighting more parts if needed. The highlighting also can support actions. For example, the picture above shows the file to the right after clicking on the reference.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Things happen when they happen,
not when you talk about them happening."

Re: [ann] pillar text editor

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Oct 10, 2016, at 8:48 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Doru
> do you think that we could get a simple visitor that could create a preview in Pharo?

What kind of preview?

> One of the things I would like is:
>
>     - minimal package for a pillar core so that we can display class comment using pillar

You already have a showcase for this if you inspect a Class. We should integrate it next in the comment pane of Nautilus.

>     - a nice looking set of fonts

Do you mean fonts for editing, or for rendering?

For the editing part, I used the fonts that we have in Pharo because they are part of the same family and they work reasonably well together. We still have an issue in Rubric in that the cursor is not updated when the font changes (for example, when we switch the font from regular to monospace). I do not know how to fix that yet, and it would be great if someone else would help on that.

Cheers,
Doru

> Stef
>
> Le 9/10/16 à 23:23, Tudor Girba a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Pillar now ships with a text editor that also features a syntax highlighter.
>>
>> So, now, if you load the development version of Pillar:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>     smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
>>     configuration;
>>     loadDevelopment.
>>
>> You will have an extra presentation when inspecting a .pillar file:
>>
>> <Mail Attachment.png>
>>
>> The new thing here is that the highlighter is based on the Pillar PetitParser, and it is extensible for highlighting more parts if needed. The highlighting also can support actions. For example, the picture above shows the file to the right after clicking on the reference.
>>
>> Please take a look and let me know what you think.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Things happen when they happen,
>> not when you talk about them happening."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: [Moose-dev] [ann] pillar text editor

abergel
Spell checking would be fantastic

Alexandre

> On Oct 9, 2016, at 11:23 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Pillar now ships with a text editor that also features a syntax highlighter.
>
> So, now, if you load the development version of Pillar:
>
> Gofer new
>     smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
>     configuration;
>     loadDevelopment.
>
> You will have an extra presentation when inspecting a .pillar file:
>
> <pillar-editor.png>
>
> The new thing here is that the highlighter is based on the Pillar PetitParser, and it is extensible for highlighting more parts if needed. The highlighting also can support actions. For example, the picture above shows the file to the right after clicking on the reference.
>
> Please take a look and let me know what you think.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Things happen when they happen,
> not when you talk about them happening."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ann] pillar text editor

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi Doru,

I was exploring Stephan Eggermont's code Panel because the zooming in/out behavior implemented there, but I would like to add your Pillar text editor to the exploration.

I would like to add two things:

1. Font decrease/increase buttons/shorcuts, because for long documents, default font size can be tiresome.

2. Augmenting the amount of syntax highlighting languages, starting with markdown. I think that this would be strategic in making writing inside the image, more appealing, giving the spread of markdown as a documentation syntax in different context (GitHub, Scholar markdown, wikis, discussion, Slack clones, etc).

I installed the extension today on a Pharo 5 system, but trying to use it, bring me the error detailed at the end of this mail, so after having it working on Pharo, I would like to explore/help in implementing items 1 and 2, avove.

Cheers,

Offray

Error report
===========
Author: OffrayLuna

Array(Object)>>shouldNotImplement
Array(ArrayedCollection)>>add:
[ :each | self add: each ] in Array(Collection)>>addAll:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
Array(Collection)>>addAll:
[ :array |
({array first}
    addAll: array last;
    yourself)
    collect: [ :each |
        ('' join: each first)
            -> (each second ifNotNil: [ :second | '' join: second ]) ] ] in GTPillarHighlighter>>scriptParameters
PPActionParser>>parseOn:
PPDelegateParser>>parseOn:
PPSequenceParser>>parseOn:
PPActionParser>>parseOn:
PPDelegateParser>>parseOn:
PPChoiceParser>>parseOn:
PPDelegateParser>>parseOn:
PPChoiceParser>>parseOn:
PPPossessiveRepeatingParser>>parseOn:
PPDelegateParser>>parseOn:
PPEndOfInputParser>>parseOn:
GTPillarHighlighter(PPDelegateParser)>>parseOn:
GTPillarHighlighter(PPParser)>>parseWithContext:
GTPillarHighlighter(PPParser)>>parse:withContext:
GTPillarHighlighter(PPParser)>>parse:
GTPillarHighlighterTextDecorator>>parse:onError:
GLMHighlighterTextParserStyler>>privateStyle:
[ self privateStyle: text.
view ifNotNil: [ view stylerStyledInBackground: text ] ] in [ backgroundProcess := [ self privateStyle: text.
view ifNotNil: [ view stylerStyledInBackground: text ] ]
    forkAt: Processor userBackgroundPriority ] in GLMHighlighterTextParserStyler(SHTextStyler)>>styleInBackgroundProcess:
[ self value.
Processor terminateActive ] in BlockClosure>>newProcess
===============

Le 10/10/16 à 08:59, Tudor Girba a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>> On Oct 10, 2016, at 8:48 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Doru
>> do you think that we could get a simple visitor that could create a preview in Pharo?
> What kind of preview?
Like LaTeX :) but simpler

Large and Nice fonts for section would be a good start.

>> One of the things I would like is:
>>
>>      - minimal package for a pillar core so that we can display class comment using pillar
> You already have a showcase for this if you inspect a Class. We should integrate it next in the comment pane of Nautilus.

How can I try this one?

>>      - a nice looking set of fonts
> Do you mean fonts for editing, or for rendering?
I would like to have it for editing but rendering would be good already

> For the editing part, I used the fonts that we have in Pharo because they are part of the same family and they work reasonably well together. We still have an issue in Rubric in that the cursor is not updated when the font changes (for example, when we switch the font from regular to monospace). I do not know how to fix that yet, and it would be great if someone else would help on that.

can you open a bug entry?

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> Stef
>>
>> Le 9/10/16 à 23:23, Tudor Girba a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Pillar now ships with a text editor that also features a syntax highlighter.
>>>
>>> So, now, if you load the development version of Pillar:
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>      smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
>>>      configuration;
>>>      loadDevelopment.
>>>
>>> You will have an extra presentation when inspecting a .pillar file:
>>>
>>> <Mail Attachment.png>
>>>
>>> The new thing here is that the highlighter is based on the Pillar PetitParser, and it is extensible for highlighting more parts if needed. The highlighting also can support actions. For example, the picture above shows the file to the right after clicking on the reference.
>>>
>>> Please take a look and let me know what you think.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Things happen when they happen,
>>> not when you talk about them happening."
>>>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Value is always contextual."

Re: [Moose-dev] [ann] pillar text editor

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hmmm. Why does it need/only work on FileReference?

I tried putting

gtInspectorPillarRepresentationIn: composite
<gtInspectorPresentationOrder: 40>
^ composite custom: (GLMRubricHighlightedTextPresentation new
title: 'Pillar';
editingMode: [ : rubPresentation |
GLMHighlighterTextRubEditingMode withStylerDecorator: (
GTPillarHighlighterTextDecorator
inPresentation: rubPresentation)];
display: [ (PRPillarWriter write: self) ])

in PRDocumentItem

but then GTPillarFileHighlightingCommand>>executeOn: aText inPresentation: aPresentation relativeToFileReference: aFileReference
| attribute targetFileReference |
targetFileReference := aFileReference parent resolveString: (self fileName removePrefix: 'file://').

causes error cos it didn't get a FileReference

On 9 October 2016 at 22:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: About suggestions on Pillar editor (was Re: [ann] pillar text editor)

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Please retry again by loading the #development version in Pharo 6.1:

Gofer new
    smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
    configuration;
    loadDevelopment.

You should get the extension out of the box.

Please let me know if it works.

Cheers,
Doru

> [...]
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>     smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
>>>     configuration;
>>>     loadDevelopment.
>>>
>>> You will have an extra presentation when inspecting a .pillar file:
>>>
>>> <gjkebecengkghnjk.png>
>>>
>>> The new thing here is that the highlighter is based on the Pillar PetitParser, and it is extensible for highlighting more parts if needed. The highlighting also can support actions. For example, the picture above shows the file to the right after clicking on the reference.
>>>
>>> Please take a look and let me know what you think.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Things happen when they happen,
>>> not when you talk about them happening."

"We are all great at making mistakes."

Re: About suggestions on Pillar editor (was Re: [ann] pillar text editor)

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Thanks Doru,

Installation works, but syntax hightligthning and image preview are
disabled. I don't know if this is because is the same image with the
installation of GT Documenter, installed.

Cheers,

Offray

On 14/11/17 12:15, Tudor Girba wrote:

> [...]
>>> GTPillarHighlighter(PPParser)>>parse:withContext:
>>> GTPillarHighlighter(PPParser)>>parse:
>>> GTPillarHighlighterTextDecorator>>parse:onError:
>>> GLMHighlighterTextParserStyler>>privateStyle:
>>> [ self privateStyle: text.
>>> view ifNotNil: [ view stylerStyledInBackground: text ] ] in [ backgroundProcess := [ self privateStyle: text.
>>> view ifNotNil: [ view stylerStyledInBackground: text ] ]
>>>     forkAt: Processor userBackgroundPriority ] in GLMHighlighterTextParserStyler(SHTextStyler)>>styleInBackgroundProcess:
>>> [ self value.
>>> Processor terminateActive ] in BlockClosure>>newProcess
>>> ===============

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "We are all great at making mistakes."

Re: About suggestions on Pillar editor (was Re: [ann] pillar text editor)

There are two presentations (tabs):
- ‘Contents' shows the plain file
- ‘Pillar’ shows the syntax highlighting.

Can you check?

Doru

> On Nov 14, 2017, at 9:57 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Doru,
>
> Installation works, but syntax hightligthning and image preview are
> disabled. I don't know if this is because is the same image with the
> installation of GT Documenter, installed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>

> On 14/11/17 12:15, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please retry again by loading the #development version in Pharo 6.1:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>    smalltalkhubUser: 'Pier' project: 'Pillar';
>>    configuration;
>>    loadDevelopment.
>>
>> You should get the extension out of the box.
>>
>> Please let me know if it works.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>> On Nov 14, 2017, at 5:55 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A suggestion from one year ago. Should be this converted into issues?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Offray

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "We are all great at making mistakes."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Every now and then stop and ask yourself if the war you're fighting is the right one."