annotation constellation

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Perhaps this is of interest to someone.

I produced a new visualization to show the dependencies introduced by
annotations in a Java system:
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/annotation-constellation

The goal of the visualization is twofold:
- help identify which annotations are closer together and with this
occasion get an idea of what technologies are used
- make explicit the fact that annotations do introduce another layer
of complexity

At the moment, this works for Java systems. Perhaps it would be
interesting to populate the Annotation entities from Smalltalk as well.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be concentrated on describing
the problem in a way that is relevant for the solution."

Re: annotation constellation

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I forgot to mention that I used the MOGraphVizLayout that makes use of
Graphviz through the command line. You would also need the
MondrianGraphVizLayout package.

Cheers,
Doru

On 8 May 2010, at 17:51, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps this is of interest to someone.
>
> I produced a new visualization to show the dependencies introduced
> by annotations in a Java system:
> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/annotation-constellation
>
> The goal of the visualization is twofold:
> - help identify which annotations are closer together and with this
> occasion get an idea of what technologies are used
> - make explicit the fact that annotations do introduce another layer
> of complexity
>
> At the moment, this works for Java systems. Perhaps it would be
> interesting to populate the Annotation entities from Smalltalk as
> well.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving should be concentrated on describing
> the problem in a way that is relevant for the solution."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: annotation constellation

Alexandre Bergel-4
Why GraphViz? It is a bit hard to see the picture in the book. Are you
using a force based layout? Is it because of scalability that you
cannot use Mondrian?

Just wondering.
Cheers,
Alexandre

On 8 May 2010, at 11:51, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps this is of interest to someone.
>
> I produced a new visualization to show the dependencies introduced
> by annotations in a Java system:
> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/annotation-constellation
>
> The goal of the visualization is twofold:
> - help identify which annotations are closer together and with this
> occasion get an idea of what technologies are used
> - make explicit the fact that annotations do introduce another layer
> of complexity
>
> At the moment, this works for Java systems. Perhaps it would be
> interesting to populate the Annotation entities from Smalltalk as
> well.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving should be concentrated on describing
> the problem in a way that is relevant for the solution."

Re: annotation constellation

Tudor Girba
Hi,

All pictures from the book are provided in full resolution. So, if you
download them, you get to see details.

I am using Mondrian, only the layout is using GraphViz. It is quite
fast even if it goes via the OSProcess and files.

I tried to use MOSpringLayout, but it takes too long to compute even
for smaller graphs and the results are not satisfactory. Actually, do
you have an example where you use it with success?

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 15:34, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Why GraphViz? It is a bit hard to see the picture in the book. Are
> you using a force based layout? Is it because of scalability that
> you cannot use Mondrian?
>
> Just wondering.
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>
> On 8 May 2010, at 11:51, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Perhaps this is of interest to someone.
>>
>> I produced a new visualization to show the dependencies introduced
>> by annotations in a Java system:
>> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/annotation-constellation
>>
>> The goal of the visualization is twofold:
>> - help identify which annotations are closer together and with this
>> occasion get an idea of what technologies are used
>> - make explicit the fact that annotations do introduce another
>> layer of complexity
>>
>> At the moment, this works for Java systems. Perhaps it would be
>> interesting to populate the Annotation entities from Smalltalk as
>> well.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Problem solving should be concentrated on describing
>> the problem in a way that is relevant for the solution."

www.tudorgirba.com

"We are all great at making mistakes."

Re: annotation constellation

Alexandre Bergel-4
> I tried to use MOSpringLayout, but it takes too long to compute even
> for smaller graphs and the results are not satisfactory.

Ok, this is what I wanted to know.

> Actually, do you have an example where you use it with success?

Not yet unfortunately...

Alexandre

> On 10 May 2010, at 15:34, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Why GraphViz? It is a bit hard to see the picture in the book. Are
>> you using a force based layout? Is it because of scalability that
>> you cannot use Mondrian?
>>
>> Just wondering.
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>
>> On 8 May 2010, at 11:51, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Perhaps this is of interest to someone.
>>>
>>> I produced a new visualization to show the dependencies introduced
>>> by annotations in a Java system:
>>> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/annotation-constellation
>>>
>>> The goal of the visualization is twofold:
>>> - help identify which annotations are closer together and with
>>> this occasion get an idea of what technologies are used
>>> - make explicit the fact that annotations do introduce another
>>> layer of complexity
>>>
>>> At the moment, this works for Java systems. Perhaps it would be
>>> interesting to populate the Annotation entities from Smalltalk as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Problem solving should be concentrated on describing
>>> the problem in a way that is relevant for the solution."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We are all great at making mistakes."

Re: annotation constellation

Simon Denier-3

I have seen SpringLayout and ForceBasedLayout. What's the difference. Also ForceBasedLayout seems to be bugged now.

On 10 mai 2010, at 17:42, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> I tried to use MOSpringLayout, but it takes too long to compute even for smaller graphs and the results are not satisfactory.
>
> Ok, this is what I wanted to know.
>
>> Actually, do you have an example where you use it with success?
>
> Not yet unfortunately...
>
> Alexandre
>

>> On 10 May 2010, at 15:34, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Why GraphViz? It is a bit hard to see the picture in the book. Are you using a force based layout? Is it because of scalability that you cannot use Mondrian?
>>>
>>> Just wondering.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "We are all great at making mistakes."

 Simon

Re: annotation constellation

Tudor Girba
ForceBasedLayout is the old implementation.

What do you mean by bugged?

Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 17:54, Simon Denier wrote:

> I have seen SpringLayout and ForceBasedLayout. What's the
> difference. Also ForceBasedLayout seems to be bugged now.
>

> On 10 mai 2010, at 17:42, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>>> I tried to use MOSpringLayout, but it takes too long to compute
>>> even for smaller graphs and the results are not satisfactory.
>>
>> Ok, this is what I wanted to know.
>>
>>> Actually, do you have an example where you use it with success?
>>
>> Not yet unfortunately...
>>
>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "We are all great at making mistakes."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

On 10 mai 2010, at 18:00, Tudor Girba wrote:

> ForceBasedLayout is the old implementation.
>
> What do you mean by bugged?

I had an error when using it.

> Doru
>

> On 10 May 2010, at 17:54, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> I have seen SpringLayout and ForceBasedLayout. What's the difference. Also ForceBasedLayout seems to be bugged now.

>>> Ok, this is what I wanted to know.

>>> Not yet unfortunately...
>>>
>>> Alexandre

>> --
>> Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

 Simon

Re: annotation constellation

Tudor Girba
Strange. Could you send the graph around?

Here is one that works:
view := MOViewRenderer new.
view nodes: (1 to: 100).
view edges: (1 to: 100) from: [:x | x // 10] to: #yourself.
view nodes: (100 to: 200).
view edges: (100 to: 200) from: [:x | (x // 10) + 100 ] to: #yourself.
view forceBasedLayout.
view open.

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 18:08, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 10 mai 2010, at 18:00, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> ForceBasedLayout is the old implementation.
>>
>> What do you mean by bugged?
>

> I had an error when using it.
>

>> Doru
>>

>> On 10 May 2010, at 17:54, Simon Denier wrote:
>>

>>> I have seen SpringLayout and ForceBasedLayout. What's the
>>> difference. Also ForceBasedLayout seems to be bugged now.

>>> --
>>> Simon

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."