another file reference question

Stephane Ducasse-3
HI

I have the following scenario:

'/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result'
asFileReference /
'book.pillar'

 "File @ /Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result/book.pillar"

ok it works.

I want to update the contents of a target folder only if a file is
missing or too old compared to a source.

The idea is that I have a target folder and I need to know if a file
located in the source tree should be copied under the target.
So I compute the difference from the root of the source to the file
and I want to apply this path to the target to check some file
properties.

now I do not understand how I can get the following working:

 '/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result'
asFileReference
/

 ('/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/book.pillar'
asFileReference path)
 relativeTo: ('/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo'
asFileReference path)

Re: another file reference question

Stephane Ducasse-3
Then I do not get why / is expecting a string and cannot accept a path.

Then I do not get why we have paths.
Stef

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI
>
> I have the following scenario:
>
> '/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result'
> asFileReference /
> 'book.pillar'
>

>  "File @ /Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result/book.pillar"
>
> ok it works.
>
> I want to update the contents of a target folder only if a file is
> missing or too old compared to a source.
>
> The idea is that I have a target folder and I need to know if a file
> located in the source tree should be copied under the target.
> So I compute the difference from the root of the source to the file
> and I want to apply this path to the target to check some file
> properties.
>
> now I do not understand how I can get the following working:
>
>  '/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result'
> asFileReference
> /
>
>  ('/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/book.pillar'
> asFileReference path)
>  relativeTo: ('/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo'
> asFileReference path)
>

> Stef

Re: another file reference question

Denis Kudriashov
Hi

Can you provide more simple example with shorter paths? I am lost in these long strings :).

[...]

alistairgrant
Hi Stef,

On 2 February 2018 at 20:58, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Then I do not get why / is expecting a string and cannot accept a path.
>
> Then I do not get why we have paths.
> Stef

Paths are intended to be internal, and not something you ever deal
with directly.

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, but maybe try replacing
#/ with #resolve:, e.g.:

'/home' asFileReference resolve: 'user' asFileReference
" File @ /home/user"

or:

'/home' asFileReference resolve: 'user' asFileReference path
" File @ /home/user"

Cheers,
Alistair

 "File @ /PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result/book.pillar"

ok it works.

I want to update the contents of a target folder only if a file is
missing or too old compared to a source.

The idea is that I have a target folder and I need to know if a file
located in the source tree should be copied under the target.
So I compute the difference from the root of the source to the file
and I want to apply this path to the target to check some file
properties.

now I do not understand how I can get the following working:

 '/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result' asFileReference  /
      ('/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/book.pillar'
asFileReference path)
            relativeTo: ('/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo'
asFileReference path)

You see relativeTo: should tells me the diff in terms of path between
two paths.
Stef

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 10:27 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can you provide more simple example with shorter paths? I am lost in these
> long strings :).

>> HI
>>
>> I have the following scenario:
>>

>> '/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result'
>> asFileReference /
>> 'book.pillar'
>>

>>  "File @
>> /Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result/book.pillar"
>>
>> ok it works.
>>
>> I want to update the contents of a target folder only if a file is
>> missing or too old compared to a source.
>>
>> The idea is that I have a target folder and I need to know if a file
>> located in the source tree should be copied under the target.
>> So I compute the difference from the root of the source to the file
>> and I want to apply this path to the target to check some file
>> properties.
>>
>> now I do not understand how I can get the following working:
>>

>> '/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result'
>> asFileReference
>> /
>>

>> ('/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/book.pillar'
>> asFileReference path)
>>  relativeTo:
>> ('/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo'
>> asFileReference path)
>>

>> Stef

Re: another file reference question

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks alistair

What I want to know is a different of paths between two paths so that
after I can reproduce the structure under another folder.
Example

a/b/c/d.pi
I should ''copy'' it into result folder and I should get

result/b/c/d.pi

now I compute the path

What is the path of a/b/c/d.pi in a => b/c/d.pi and I should then
'copy' to result/b/c/d.pi

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:26 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> On 2 February 2018 at 20:58, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Then I do not get why / is expecting a string and cannot accept a path.
>>
>> Then I do not get why we have paths.
>> Stef
>
> Paths are intended to be internal, and not something you ever deal
> with directly.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, but maybe try replacing
> #/ with #resolve:, e.g.:
>
> '/home' asFileReference resolve: 'user' asFileReference
> " File @ /home/user"
>

> or:
>
> '/home' asFileReference resolve: 'user' asFileReference path
> " File @ /home/user"
>

> Cheers,
> Alistair
>

>> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Stephane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> HI
>>>
>>> I have the following scenario:
>>>
>>> '/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result'
>>> asFileReference /
>>> 'book.pillar'
>>>

>>>  "File @ /Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result/book.pillar"
>>>
>>> ok it works.
>>>
>>> I want to update the contents of a target folder only if a file is
>>> missing or too old compared to a source.
>>>
>>> The idea is that I have a target folder and I need to know if a file
>>> located in the source tree should be copied under the target.
>>> So I compute the difference from the root of the source to the file
>>> and I want to apply this path to the target to check some file
>>> properties.
>>>
>>> now I do not understand how I can get the following working:
>>>
>>>  '/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/_result'
>>> asFileReference
>>> /
>>>
>>>  ('/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo/book.pillar'
>>> asFileReference path)
>>>  relativeTo: ('/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/MyBooks/Bk-Writing/PharoBooks/Booklet-AMiniSchemeInPharo'
>>> asFileReference path)
>>>

>>> Stef

Re: another file reference question

alistairgrant
Hi Stef,

Assuming I understand what you're trying to do:

This is broken out to hopefully make it clear what the steps are:

| src srcPrefix dstPrefix dst |

src := 'a/b/c/d.pi' asFileReference.
srcPrefix := 'a' asFileReference.
dstPrefix := 'result' asFileReference.
dst := dstPrefix resolve: (src relativeTo: srcPrefix).
dst

At that point presumably you want:

src copyTo: dst.

Cheers,
Alistair

On 6 February 2018 at 21:50, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks alistair
>
> What I want to know is a different of paths between two paths so that
> after I can reproduce the structure under another folder.
> Example
>
> a/b/c/d.pi
> I should ''copy'' it into result folder and I should get
>
> result/b/c/d.pi
>
> now I compute the path
>
> What is the path of a/b/c/d.pi in a => b/c/d.pi and I should then
> 'copy' to result/b/c/d.pi
>
> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:26 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> On 2 February 2018 at 20:58, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Then I do not get why / is expecting a string and cannot accept a path.
>>>
>>> Then I do not get why we have paths.
>>> Stef
>>
>> Paths are intended to be internal, and not something you ever deal
>> with directly.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, but maybe try replacing
>> #/ with #resolve:, e.g.:
>>
>> '/home' asFileReference resolve: 'user' asFileReference
>> " File @ /home/user"
>>

>> or:
>>
>> '/home' asFileReference resolve: 'user' asFileReference path
>> " File @ /home/user"
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Alistair

Re: another file reference question

Stephane Ducasse-3
Tx alistair

Yes this is what I want.
I tried to copy (before your post and I do not recall that copy was
creating the intermediate folders).

Stef

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> Assuming I understand what you're trying to do:
>
> This is broken out to hopefully make it clear what the steps are:
>
> | src srcPrefix dstPrefix dst |
>
> src := 'a/b/c/d.pi' asFileReference.
> srcPrefix := 'a' asFileReference.
> dstPrefix := 'result' asFileReference.
> dst := dstPrefix resolve: (src relativeTo: srcPrefix).
> dst
>

> At that point presumably you want:
>
> src copyTo: dst.
>

> Cheers,
> Alistair
>

> On 6 February 2018 at 21:50, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks alistair
>>
>> What I want to know is a different of paths between two paths so that
>> after I can reproduce the structure under another folder.
>> Example
>>
>> a/b/c/d.pi
>> I should ''copy'' it into result folder and I should get
>>
>> result/b/c/d.pi
>>
>> now I compute the path
>>
>> What is the path of a/b/c/d.pi in a => b/c/d.pi and I should then
>> 'copy' to result/b/c/d.pi
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:26 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Stef,

>>> Paths are intended to be internal, and not something you ever deal
>>> with directly.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, but maybe try replacing
>>> #/ with #resolve:, e.g.:
>>>
>>> '/home' asFileReference resolve: 'user' asFileReference
>>> " File @ /home/user"
>>>

>>> or:
>>>
>>> '/home' asFileReference resolve: 'user' asFileReference path
>>> " File @ /home/user"
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Alistair

Re: another file reference question

Stephane Ducasse-3
Now what is the difference between / and resolve: because this is the
only difference with my code.
I used path because it was the only way I could make sense.

I will update the documentation :( this will be my cross.