anything like matplotlib/gnuplot interactive graphing?

anything like matplotlib/gnuplot interactive graphing?

rsykora
Dear list,

I am checking what Roassal can do and was wondering if I
could use it for quick data analysis, e.g.,
to draw a simple xy-data graph from a file and play around
interactively with that, with the possibility to zoom / zoom back,
switch easily to logarithmic axes, etc.

So far I see RTGrapher, but as far as I can tell, no usable zooming
functionality exists. Is there anything better?

Thanks for any comments
Ruda

Re: anything like matplotlib/gnuplot interactive graphing?

Julien Delplanque-2
Hello,

There is a (partial) bridge from Pharo to Matplotlib: https://github.com/juliendelplanque/MatplotLibBridge maintained by myself.

I use it regularly and it works quite well for now. I add bindings to new types of charts when I need them.

You can find some examples in the readme and in class-side of MLBExamples class.

Hope it can help you.

Cheers,

Julien

---
Julien Delplanque
Doctorant à l’Université de Lille
Bâtiment B 40, Avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq
Numéro de téléphone: +333 59 35 86 40

On 24 Feb 2019, at 21:27, [hidden email] wrote:

Dear list,

I am checking what Roassal can do and was wondering if I
could use it for quick data analysis, e.g.,
to draw a simple xy-data graph from a file and play around
interactively with that, with the possibility to zoom / zoom back,
switch easily to logarithmic axes, etc.

So far I see RTGrapher, but as far as I can tell, no usable zooming
functionality exists. Is there anything better?

Did you check the book?
And the examples that are shipped with Roassal.

Roassal is a powerful library.
Stef

Thanks for any comments
Ruda

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> writes:

>> On 24 Feb 2019, at 21:27, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I am checking what Roassal can do and was wondering if I
>> could use it for quick data analysis, e.g.,
>> to draw a simple xy-data graph from a file and play around
>> interactively with that, with the possibility to zoom / zoom back,
>> switch easily to logarithmic axes, etc.
>>
>> So far I see RTGrapher, but as far as I can tell, no usable zooming
>> functionality exists. Is there anything better?
>
> Did you check the book?
> http://agilevisualisation.com

Yes, I especially checked

http://agilevisualization.com/AgileVisualization/Grapher/0203-Grapher.html

> And the examples that are shipped with Roassal.

I went through them, too.

As far as zooming in/out is concerned, I only found that there are two tools:

Add RTZoomableBoxView

which allows one to zoom in a rectangle, but only as if the graph was a
picture, i.e., no axes are redrawn, fonts get bigger, etc.

and

Add RTSelectionBox

which I haven't figured out what it is supposed to do (without reading
the code).

I haven't found any more relevant example which would allow me to zoom
in/back in the sense one needs to see more details from a graph.

Thanks
Ruda

Re: anything like matplotlib/gnuplot interactive graphing?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

On 25/2/19 6:17, Rudolf Sykora wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>> On 24 Feb 2019, at 21:27, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I am checking what Roassal can do and was wondering if I
>>> could use it for quick data analysis, e.g.,
>>> to draw a simple xy-data graph from a file and play around
>>> interactively with that, with the possibility to zoom / zoom back,
>>> switch easily to logarithmic axes, etc.
>>>
>>> So far I see RTGrapher, but as far as I can tell, no usable zooming
>>> functionality exists. Is there anything better?
>> Did you check the book?
>> http://agilevisualisation.com
> Yes, I especially checked
>
> http://agilevisualization.com/AgileVisualization/Grapher/0203-Grapher.html
>
>> And the examples that are shipped with Roassal.
> I went through them, too.
>
> As far as zooming in/out is concerned, I only found that there are two tools:
>
> Add RTZoomableBoxView
>
> which allows one to zoom in a rectangle, but only as if the graph was a
> picture, i.e., no axes are redrawn, fonts get bigger, etc.
>
> and
>
> Add RTSelectionBox
>
> which I haven't figured out what it is supposed to do (without reading
> the code).
>

> I haven't found any more relevant example which would allow me to zoom
> in/back in the sense one needs to see more details from a graph.
>
> Thanks
> Ruda

On the zooming out feature, you could check specifically [1]  and on a
more general note [2]. [1] Was made two years ago, and maybe zooming has
been improved and [2] will get a major boost on March while working on
the Dataviz[3] paper and port Grafoscopio to Pharo 7.x.

[1] http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/panama-papers-1
[2] http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/index.en.html
[3] http://joss.theoj.org/papers/9b27dbce146ff072c3878b23dac913da

Cheers,