classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

appveyor queue is too long

Nicolas Cellier

Hi all,
didn't we configure appveyor to cancel the builds when a newer commit is performed in the same branch/PR?

Currently, job queue is too deep (and slow)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: appveyor queue is too long

Nicolas Cellier

Or maybe we don't interrupt jobs that already started?

Le mer. 2 janv. 2019 à 15:44, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi all,
didn't we configure appveyor to cancel the builds when a newer commit is performed in the same branch/PR?

Reply | Threaded
|

fniephaus

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 at 3:46 pm, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think you are right. If that's not the case, we should fix it. Also, we should use [ci skip] more often (but carefully of course).

Hi all,

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Cellier

Reminder: we also have [skip travis] and [skip appveyor] when we only change platforms specific files, or build instructions.

Le mer. 2 janv. 2019 à 16:15, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I think you are right. If that's not the case, we should fix it. Also, we should use [ci skip] more often (but carefully of course).

Hi all,

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Cellier

All this take really a long time. Are the stack build really necessary?
We could build one for 32bits and one for 64bits, just to verify that we did not break the spurstacksrc and spurstack64src, but only if we changes spurstacksrc, spurstack64src or eventually platforms support code (if ever spurstacksrc was using different support code than spursrc, which I doubt).
Is it possible to trigger the build on specific changes?
I wonder if we could not arrange to have another subproject that would build those alternative VM...

Le mer. 2 janv. 2019 à 17:13, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Reminder: we also have [skip travis] and [skip appveyor] when we only change platforms specific files, or build instructions.

Hi all,

Reply | Threaded
|

fniephaus

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 12:31 PM Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

We could build one for 32bits and one for 64bits, just to verify that we did not break the spurstacksrc and spurstack64src, but only if we changes spurstacksrc, spurstack64src or eventually platforms support code (if ever spurstacksrc was using different support code than spursrc, which I doubt).
I wonder if we could not arrange to have another subproject that would build those alternative VM...

Another idea: set up an orphan branch with CI builds that pull the Cog branch and build the stack VMs. Then, we could set up Travis to build this specific branch once a week/month and remove these builds from our main config. In the worst case, we would notice a broken stack VM after a week/month which might be tolerable.

Hi all,

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Cellier

Le jeu. 3 janv. 2019 à 13:23, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Another idea: set up an orphan branch with CI builds that pull the Cog branch and build the stack VMs. Then, we could set up Travis to build this specific branch once a week/month and remove these builds from our main config. In the worst case, we would notice a broken stack VM after a week/month which might be tolerable.

+1

Hi all,

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 21:58, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

You could maybe have another travis account, much like I recently set one up for myself...
https://travis-ci.org/bencoman/opensmalltalk-vm/builds

I've tried searching for whether Travis would have a problem with that and not been able to find anything.

+1

Sounds okay, but before you run with that, just another idea to consider...

I see the main issue is the delay when trying to iterate on a PR.   
So perhaps the way forward is that PRs only the eight "main" platforms, providing a 10 minute iteration.
When you are done, after the PR is merged, a long build is not a problem, so a full build of the Cog branch would be okay.  

It seems this could be configured using conditional stages...
Also it seems any incoming PR-build could auto cancel the Cog-branch full-build,
thus ensure that doesn't get in the way of fast PR iterations.   

A side benefit might be encouraging discipline in submitting all changes via PR.
Even if the developer creating the PR immediately merges it themselves, a PR provides nice mechanism to group related commits, 
and also provides a nice place to hang comments, even after merging.
No need anyone current committing directly to Cog to wait for those comments.  

cheers -ben

Hi all,

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Cellier

Le jeu. 3 janv. 2019 à 15:26, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 21:58, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

You could maybe have another travis account, much like I recently set one up for myself...
https://travis-ci.org/bencoman/opensmalltalk-vm/builds

I've tried searching for whether Travis would have a problem with that and not been able to find anything.

+1

Sounds okay, but before you run with that, just another idea to consider...

I see the main issue is the delay when trying to iterate on a PR.   
So perhaps the way forward is that PRs only the eight "main" platforms, providing a 10 minute iteration.
When you are done, after the PR is merged, a long build is not a problem, so a full build of the Cog branch would be okay.  

It seems this could be configured using conditional stages...
Also it seems any incoming PR-build could auto cancel the Cog-branch full-build,
thus ensure that doesn't get in the way of fast PR iterations.   

A side benefit might be encouraging discipline in submitting all changes via PR.
Even if the developer creating the PR immediately merges it themselves, a PR provides nice mechanism to group related commits, 
and also provides a nice place to hang comments, even after merging.
No need anyone current committing directly to Cog to wait for those comments.  

cheers -ben

side note: another grief is that PR which are just fast-forward merge triggers 2 builds...
I did not inquire if there was a solution for that.

Hi all,

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Nicolas Cellier

On Jan 2, 2019, at 8:13 AM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

IMO this info should be in CONTRIBUTING.md alongside the description of [skip ci].  I never knew about this.  I never knew about [skip ci].  Don’t assume users are familiar with script intervals, or github fundamentals, or whatever other mechanism implements the [skip *] facility.  Best to document it in the right place.

Also CONTRIBUTING.md should start with a table of contents.  It is nearly tl;dr

Hi all,