are you using moose?

12

Re: are you using moose?

Ben Coman

For the thesis of my Master of Engineering Technology (Electric Power Systems) I am using Moose to implement the IEC 61970 Common Information Model [1] as part of the emerging requirements for Electric Smart Grids.  This is the international standard for the exchange of electric power model information between power utilities to facilitate co-ordinated operations across the interconnected electric power network.  The standards committee overseeing IEC 61970 subscribes to the OMG Model Driven Architecture and maintains the standard as a UML model consisting of about 800 classes.  I am hoping to produce a tool useful for exploring this model and as well as providing a basis for building electric power applications.

I was attracted to implementing this using the Connectors application on Squeak, and was then drawn to Pharo for its more business focus, and now to Moose for its integration of the applications above Pharo that I have gradually discovered to be most useful - which for me so far are the trifecta of Glamour, Magritte and Mondrian.   I had been trying to make use the FAME meta-model stuff but the UML related stuff appears to have been dropped and I could not determine a path forward to using it as I required.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Information_Model_%28electricity%29
[2] http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/releases/upload/smartgrid_interoperability_final.pdf

This project arose to fill a need for tools to work with the emerging standards for the electric power industry.  As an overview of the general need in this area, I have pulled some extracts from [2]...

"Under the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA), the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is assigned the “primary responsibility to coordinate development of a framework that includes protocols and model standards for information management to achieve interoperability of Smart Grid devices and systems…” There is an urgent need to establish protocols and standards for the Smart Grid.  In May 2009, U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke and U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu chaired a meeting of nearly 70 executives from the power, information technology, and other industries at which these executives expressed their organizations’ commitment to support the plan established by NIST to meet its EISA responsibility. "

"This document [2] was drafted through an open public process that engaged the broad spectrum of Smart Grid stakeholder communities and the general public. Input was provided through three public workshops, in April, May and August 2009, in which more than 1,500 individuals representing hundreds of organizations participated. Through the NIST workshops, NIST determined that many potentially useful standards will require revision or enhancement before they can be implemented to address Smart Grid requirements.  In addition, stakeholders identified gaps requiring entirely new standards to be developed. In all, a total of 70 such gaps or related issues were identified.  Of these, NIST selected 15 for which resolution is most urgently needed to support one or more of the Smart Grid priority areas."  [BTC: Half of these Priority Action Plans refer to the IEC 61850, 61970, 61968 standards of IEC Technical Committee 57. ]

"A recent forecast projects that the U.S. market for Smart Grid-related equipment, devices, information and communication technologies, and other hardware, software, and services will double between 2009 and 2014—to nearly $43 billion.  Over the same span, the global market is projected to grow to more than $171 billion, an increase of almost 150 percent."

regards, Ben

Tudor Girba wrote:
Hi,

Are you using Moose for something?

If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.

Please take 2 minutes to reply.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: are you using moose?

Stéphane Ducasse
Sounds really interesting.
I like the idea to model something totally different than software in Moose
Let us know how it goes.

> For the thesis of my Master of Engineering Technology (Electric Power Systems) I am using Moose to implement the IEC 61970 Common Information Model [1] as part of the emerging requirements for Electric Smart Grids.  This is the international standard for the exchange of electric power model information between power utilities to facilitate co-ordinated operations across the interconnected electric power network.  The standards committee overseeing IEC 61970 subscribes to the OMG Model Driven Architecture and maintains the standard as a UML model consisting of about 800 classes.  I am hoping to produce a tool useful for exploring this model and as well as providing a basis for building electric power applications.
>
> I was attracted to implementing this using the Connectors application on Squeak, and was then drawn to Pharo for its more business focus, and now to Moose for its integration of the applications above Pharo that I have gradually discovered to be most useful - which for me so far are the trifecta of Glamour, Magritte and Mondrian.   I had been trying to make use the FAME meta-model stuff but the UML related stuff appears to have been dropped and I could not determine a path forward to using it as I required.

you can describe all your meta model with fame and it is the basis to save load model and others.

Stef