are you using moose?

12

are you using moose?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Are you using Moose for something?

If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.

Please take 2 minutes to reply.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: are you using moose?

NorbertHartl

Am 21.03.2012 um 07:41 schrieb Tudor Girba:

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.

Hi,

I really would love to play and do something useful with it. But I don't find time to get used to it. Back then I started with Alexandre to import javascript into moose but I didn't find the needed time back then as well (hmmm, ugly pattern). I still would be very interested to do javascript imports in order to learn what moose can do and how javscript can be analyzed.

Norbert

Re: are you using moose?

Fabrizio Perin-3
Hi,
A student of mine worked on a petit javascript parser. The tags covered are not that much but you might like to take a look. The project is called PetitJSParser

http://www.squeaksource.com/@RFTiNHNPPC2NVeeI/kidwMQO9

Cheers,
Fabrizio

2012/3/21 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>

Am 21.03.2012 um 07:41 schrieb Tudor Girba:

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.

Hi,

I really would love to play and do something useful with it. But I don't find time to get used to it. Back then I started with Alexandre to import javascript into moose but I didn't find the needed time back then as well (hmmm, ugly pattern). I still would be very interested to do javascript imports in order to learn what moose can do and how javscript can be analyzed.

Norbert

Re: are you using moose?

Fabrizio Perin-3
Sorry,
It should work out of the box on the latest moose image.

Cheers,
Fabrizio

Am 21.03.2012 um 11:35 schrieb Fabrizio Perin:

Sorry,
It should work out of the box on the latest moose image.

Great. Now I will definitely have look within the coming weeks. :)

Norbert

2012/3/21 Fabrizio Perin <[hidden email]>
Hi,
A student of mine worked on a petit javascript parser. The tags covered are not that much but you might like to take a look. The project is called PetitJSParser

http://www.squeaksource.com/@RFTiNHNPPC2NVeeI/kidwMQO9

Cheers,
Fabrizio

2012/3/21 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>

Am 21.03.2012 um 07:41 schrieb Tudor Girba:

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.

Hi,

I really would love to play and do something useful with it. But I don't find time to get used to it. Back then I started with Alexandre to import javascript into moose but I didn't find the needed time back then as well (hmmm, ugly pattern). I still would be very interested to do javascript imports in order to learn what moose can do and how javscript can be analyzed.

Norbert

Re: are you using moose?

Tudor Girba-2

I renew my request. Please take 2 minutes to list(even if you think
this is superfluous) if and how you are using something Moose-related.
For example, Fabrizio, are you using Moose? :)

Cheers,
Doru

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: are you using moose?

Tudor Girba-2
I start.

Currently, besides developing Moose, I am using it in commercial
settings inside CompuGroup Medical Schweiz (the company where I work
at the moment). For example, we use it for running continuous checks
against Java source code and a proprietary language, and we use it to
drive various assessments and to build analysis tools.

In general, I am using Moose to promote humane assessment:
http://humane-assessment.com

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: are you using moose?

On Mar 21, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?

Yes :)

> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?

Doing software analysis.
Research and commercially (i hope)

> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: are you using moose?

Santiago Vidal
Hi,
Currently I using Moose to detect and prioritize design flaws.
Cheers,
   Santiago

2012/3/21 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

On Mar 21, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?

Yes :)

> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?

Doing software analysis.
Research and commercially (i hope)

> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Santiago Vidal

Re: are you using moose?

Fabrizio Perin-3
> For example, Fabrizio, are you using Moose? :)

Yes I do.
I use Moose regularly for my research work.
I worked directly or indirectly on the development of parsers for SQL, JSP, PHP and git and svn blame files. All these parsers are based on PetitParser.
All these extractors are used to feed Models based on the moose model.

All the analyses I normally do in Moose involve the usage of frameworks like Arki, Glamour, Mondrian and Eyesee.

I also use Moose to do data analyses. I'm working on a project were I use Moose to have statistics on code clones reports.

I use automoose to automatically build Moose images with all my projects using a Jenkins server.

Finally, I collaborate with industrial partner and I use Moose to analyze huge industrial applications.

Cheers,
Fabrizio

Re: are you using moose?

abergel
Hi!

Yes, we are using moose at the university of chile.
Moose is central in a lecture I give on software quality during one semester.

We research with moose. Currently we are improving dependencies of a model by running unit tests.

I am principally developing and maintening Mondrian. A new visualization engine, called Roassal, will be soon released. roassal supports better interactions.

Moose is also the core of a number of industrial proposals I submitted. We will see how it goes...

Cheers,
Alexandre

Le 21 mars 2012 à 01:41, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: are you using moose?

vonbecmann
Have you ever consider doing a screencast, in order to explain how do you those tools?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Yes, we are using moose at the university of chile.
Moose is central in a lecture I give on software quality during one semester.

We research with moose. Currently we are improving dependencies of a model by running unit tests.

I am principally developing and maintening Mondrian. A new visualization engine, called Roassal, will be soon released. roassal supports better interactions.

Moose is also the core of a number of industrial proposals I submitted. We will see how it goes...

Cheers,
Alexandre

Le 21 mars 2012 à 01:41, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: are you using moose?

abergel
No screencast so far. There is a chapter book however. I am only with my iphone now, so looking for the url is not easy .
Roassal will also come with a fair amount of documentation.

Alexandre

Le 21 mars 2012 à 09:10, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Have you ever consider doing a screencast, in order to explain how do you those tools?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Yes, we are using moose at the university of chile.
Moose is central in a lecture I give on software quality during one semester.

We research with moose. Currently we are improving dependencies of a model by running unit tests.

I am principally developing and maintening Mondrian. A new visualization engine, called Roassal, will be soon released. roassal supports better interactions.

Moose is also the core of a number of industrial proposals I submitted. We will see how it goes...

Cheers,
Alexandre

Le 21 mars 2012 à 01:41, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: are you using moose?

Tudor Girba-2
I am not sure what tools are you referring to, but you can find some
Moose demos here:
http://www.humane-assessment.com/resources/demos

Cheers,
Doru

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you ever consider doing a screencast, in order to explain how do you
> those tools?
>

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Yes, we are using moose at the university of chile.
>> Moose is central in a lecture I give on software quality during one
>> semester.
>>
>> We research with moose. Currently we are improving dependencies of a model
>> by running unit tests.
>>
>> I am principally developing and maintening Mondrian. A new visualization
>> engine, called Roassal, will be soon released. roassal supports better
>> interactions.
>>
>> Moose is also the core of a number of industrial proposals I submitted. We
>> will see how it goes...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> Le 21 mars 2012 à 01:41, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Are you using Moose for something?
>> >
>> > If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
>> > It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for
>> > software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
>> > Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>> >
>> > Please take 2 minutes to reply.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Doru
>> >

>> > --
>> > www.tudorgirba.com
>> >
>> > "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
>> > But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of
>> > reality."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: are you using moose?

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 21 mrt 2012, at 07:41, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Are you using Moose for something?

Diego and I use Moose for data conversion from an old Cobol system to a
modern ERP system. We use glamour, mondrian, and eyesee to
create a 'daily visualization'. The fast feedback it allows is crucial for
us to keep the customer "steering" the conversion. We can show her
what we do and do not understand, and it allows her to prioritize.

We build a custom parser for the parts of the cobol files we were interested
in. In hindsight, using petitparser for that would have been a better decision.
We added a simple seaside application to allow multiple people to make
corrections to the data.

Stephan Eggermont

Re: are you using moose?

Andre Hora
I have used Moose in my research work.

Some months ago we created a dedicated tool to the visual exploration and analysis of bugs (http://hal.inria.fr/hal-00668397). It uses Famix, Hismo, Glamour, Mondrian and EyeSee (http://hal.inria.fr/hal-00668397).

More recently I have worked in a simple tool to visualize the history of lines in method histories (that can be provided by Hismo or Ring History). It uses Glamaur and Mondrian.

I have also implemented a first version for Kiviat diagrams in EyeSee.

So Moose is always around.. :)

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 21 mrt 2012, at 07:41, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Are you using Moose for something?

Diego and I use Moose for data conversion from an old Cobol system to a
modern ERP system. We use glamour, mondrian, and eyesee to
create a 'daily visualization'. The fast feedback it allows is crucial for
us to keep the customer "steering" the conversion. We can show her
what we do and do not understand, and it allows her to prioritize.

We build a custom parser for the parts of the cobol files we were interested
in. In hindsight, using petitparser for that would have been a better decision.
We added a simple seaside application to allow multiple people to make
corrections to the data.

Stephan Eggermont

Andre Hora

Re: are you using moose?

Nicolas Anquetil

using for research.
We have a small presentation of Moose with a slide saying that:
1- have an idea
2- implement it in 5min. with moose
3- publish the results

The 5 min. are a bit understated, but this is what we do.
In my case, mainly metrics computation

nicolas

On 21/03/12 07:41, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> If yes, could you let us know what that something is?
> It can be research, play, commercial, short term, long term, for software analysis, for other kinds of analysis.
> Or maybe you are using only some part of it all. Anything would do.
>
> Please take 2 minutes to reply.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: are you using moose?

Usman Bhatti
My main tasks with moose:

Tools for dedicated tasks in software analysis using built-in engines in Moose (Glamour, Mondrian, Arki) for different team in INRIA-Lille..

Usman

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Diego

would it be possible to see one of your daily visualization?
Just curious to see how visualization can help people understanding what we are doing.

Stef
On Mar 21, 2012, at 5:41 PM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> On 21 mrt 2012, at 07:41, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> Diego and I use Moose for data conversion from an old Cobol system to a
> modern ERP system. We use glamour, mondrian, and eyesee to
> create a 'daily visualization'. The fast feedback it allows is crucial for
> us to keep the customer "steering" the conversion. We can show her
> what we do and do not understand, and it allows her to prioritize.
>
> We build a custom parser for the parts of the cobol files we were interested
> in. In hindsight, using petitparser for that would have been a better decision.
> We added a simple seaside application to allow multiple people to make
> corrections to the data.
>
> Stephan Eggermont

Re: are you using moose?

Mircea Filip Lungu
Hi Doru!

We used Moose in the Software Design and Evolution lecture at the University of Bern. I maintain and develop Softwarenaut, the architecture recovery prototype tool that I built on top of Moose during my PhD. I have one master student that is doing research on collaboration in architecture recovery and monitoring.

Cheers,
M.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Diego

would it be possible to see one of your daily visualization?
Just curious to see how visualization can help people understanding what we are doing.

Stef
On Mar 21, 2012, at 5:41 PM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> On 21 mrt 2012, at 07:41, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> Are you using Moose for something?
>
> Diego and I use Moose for data conversion from an old Cobol system to a
> modern ERP system. We use glamour, mondrian, and eyesee to
> create a 'daily visualization'. The fast feedback it allows is crucial for
> us to keep the customer "steering" the conversion. We can show her
> what we do and do not understand, and it allows her to prioritize.
>
> We build a custom parser for the parts of the cobol files we were interested
> in. In hindsight, using petitparser for that would have been a better decision.
> We added a simple seaside application to allow multiple people to make
> corrections to the data.
>
> Stephan Eggermont

Dr. Mircea Lungu
Researcher