asyncQueueOverrun and default queue size

asyncQueueOverrun and default queue size

Richard Sargent
Administrator
When one encounters async queue overruns, is it possible to increase the queue size? (I don't necessarily mean this in a dynamic sense; it could be done once at start up, for example. Or at shutdown / image save, to take effect the next time the image starts.)

I see the the Core sub-application has a class pool entry called EsAsyncQueue and that the "Core registry" holds this queue in slot 21. Its default size appears to only be 512 entries: EsAsyncMessageQueue (head = 277 tail = 277 free = 512).

This is one of those questions of it might have been an effective queue size in 1994 or so, but is it still valid with computers whose raw speed is 50x faster than they were in the early days of VA.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: asyncQueueOverrun and default queue size

John O'Keefe-3
Richard -

Do you have any idea what is causing the async queue overrun in your environment? I'm guessing that this is a UNIX system where this happens since that is the only place I've ever seen async queue overrun occur.

John

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:45:25 PM UTC-7, John O'Keefe wrote:
Do you have any idea what is causing the async queue overrun in your environment? I'm guessing that this is a UNIX system where this happens since that is the only place I've ever seen async queue overrun occur.

Hi John,

It appears to happen while I open a "dialog". (I put it in quotes because I may not be doing it right, and it is something from VisualWorks I am emulating.) I haven't been able to determine why async events are disabled at the time it occurs. My efforts to trace calls to enable and disable async event handling crashed the system, not surprising. :-(

I am actually running under Windows 7. But as indicated, something I haven't tracked down seems to disable async event handling while I have the dialog open. (Any guidance on snapping off a stack trace when the async enablement is changed would be welcome. <s>) I have had to set that work aside for a couple of weeks, but I hope to get back to it soon.

Thanks,
Richard