attaching external documentation to package

attaching external documentation to package

Ralph Boland
I want to create some documentation for a Squeak package I am writing.
The documentation will be in the form of a Lyx file.  Since some
people are not familiar with Lyx I will also generate from Lyx the
corresponding .pdf file.  If preferred I could instead generate a
.ps, .tex, .odt, or .html file but a .pdf file seems best to me.

The question is: How do I add these files to my package?

It would be nice if Monticello allowed the attachment of additional files
when generating a .mcz file and then recognized which files were not
source and so did not attempt to load these additional files.
Of course there would also need to be a way to extract these additional
files from the .mcz file.

But of course Monticello doesn't support this at present.
So I repeat my question: How do I add these files to my package?

Regards,

Ralph Boland

Re: attaching external documentation to package

Edgar De Cleene

On 2/6/11 8:48 PM, "Ralph Boland" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to create some documentation for a Squeak package I am writing.
> The documentation will be in the form of a Lyx file.  Since some
> people are not familiar with Lyx I will also generate from Lyx the
> corresponding .pdf file.  If preferred I could instead generate a
> .ps, .tex, .odt, or .html file but a .pdf file seems best to me.
>
> The question is: How do I add these files to my package?
>
> It would be nice if Monticello allowed the attachment of additional files
> when generating a .mcz file and then recognized which files were not
> source and so did not attempt to load these additional files.
> Of course there would also need to be a way to extract these additional
> files from the .mcz file.
>
> But of course Monticello doesn't support this at present.
> So I repeat my question: How do I add these files to my package?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralph Boland

MultimediaMonticello (was ProcustesEnd) solves this problem.
You can add any kind of additional resources like pdf, gif, png, jpg,
morphs, etc.
And save your package in SqueakSource.
SqueakLight3 have it and is 3.8 to 4.2 compatible.
I need to recheck all and maybe could put the needed logic in FunSqueak.
Stay tuned.

Edgar

Re: attaching external documentation to package

pascal.vollmer
Ralph Boland <rpboland <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I want to create some documentation for a Squeak package I am writing.
> The documentation will be in the form of a Lyx file.  Since some

Hi Ralph,

You could use the class comment to shelter your documentation. Another place
could be a method.

I have made some experiments with both. You may have a look at the class
AnalogClockProjectManual in http://www.squeaksource.com/AnalogClock.html.

>From LyX you could export "simple text". I do almost the same. I use DocBook and
from there I generate 1) HTML, 2) PDF or 3) ASCII.

It could be interesting to have a look at http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/ and
at http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/.

Kind regards,
Pascal

Re: attaching external documentation to package

Chris Muller-3
Hi Ralph, for me the the answer is a .SAR file.  That way, your
documentation can accompany the actual working system that it's
documenting.

You could then upload that SAR file to SqueakMap so that, when someone
selects it in the Catalog, the document can be opened as part of the
load-script built into the SAR.

MaSarPackage, available on SqueakMap, takes all of the drudgery out of
creating SAR files with resources.

 - Chris