authecation question

Roelof
Hello,

I want to try to make a financial app for a toy library.

First problem I have is how to do this ?

I want to have a admin user which is the only one who can provide a
login name and password for users.
After that the users can log in.

Also I want to hide things from them so only the admin user can do that
particular task.

Can this be done with Cincom smalltalk ?

Roelof

Re: authecation question

jgfoster
See chapter 12 in http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial.html for a somewhat dated example of how to add login capability to a Seaside application in Pharo.

James

On Sep 1, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to try to make a financial app for a toy library.
>
> First problem I have is how to do this ?
>
> I want to have a admin user which is the only one who can provide a login name and password for users.
> After that the users can log in.
>
> Also I want to hide things from them so only the admin user can do that particular task.
>
> Can this be done with Cincom smalltalk ?
>
> Roelof

Re: authecation question

Roelof
Thanks,

I found it but I do not give a answer to the question how I can give
some user rights to some parts of the app.

Roelof

James Foster schreef op 1-9-2014 17:19:

> See chapter 12 in http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial.html for a somewhat dated example of how to add login capability to a Seaside application in Pharo.
>
> James
>
> On Sep 1, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to try to make a financial app for a toy library.
>>
>> First problem I have is how to do this ?
>>
>> I want to have a admin user which is the only one who can provide a login name and password for users.
>> After that the users can log in.
>>
>> Also I want to hide things from them so only the admin user can do that particular task.
>>
>> Can this be done with Cincom smalltalk ?
>>
>> Roelof

Re: authecation question

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Hi Roelof,

Just to make sure you’re on the right expectation, Seaside is agnostic to it. It’s up to each app how to implement that feature.

Sounds like you need to implement some kind of:

I’d suggest to start as simple as you can, so you deliver value fast and iterate later based on solid user feedback

Sebastian Sastre schreef op 1-9-2014 19:56:
Hi Roelof,

Just to make sure you’re on the right expectation, Seaside is agnostic to it. It’s up to each app how to implement that feature.

Sounds like you need to implement some kind of:

I’d suggest to start as simple as you can, so you deliver value fast and iterate later based on solid user feedback

Yes, that is what Im looking for.
Do you have tips how to start simple ?

Roelof

Re: authecation question

Esteban A. Maringolo
> Sebastian Sastre schreef op 1-9-2014 19:56:
>
> Hi Roelof,
>
> Just to make sure you’re on the right expectation, Seaside is agnostic to
> it. It’s up to each app how to implement that feature.
>
> Sounds like you need to implement some kind of:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-based_access_control

> Yes, that is what Im looking for.
> Do you have tips how to start simple ?

In my previous job I mapped a model very similar to the one in the
Wikipedia page, and it proved to be useful and sustainable in the long
term even in enterprise applications.

I'm implementing (re-writing) such model again, with some tweaks. But
it's not available for publishing yet.

So to start simple you could start by modeling users, roles and permissions.
Users has roles, roles has permissions, and you can query whether an
user has certain permission at different points of your application.

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: authecation question

Roelof
Esteban A. Maringolo schreef op 1-9-2014 20:46:

>> Sebastian Sastre schreef op 1-9-2014 19:56:
>>
>> Hi Roelof,
>>
>> Just to make sure you’re on the right expectation, Seaside is agnostic to
>> it. It’s up to each app how to implement that feature.
>>
>> Sounds like you need to implement some kind of:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-based_access_control
>> Yes, that is what Im looking for.
>> Do you have tips how to start simple ?
> In my previous job I mapped a model very similar to the one in the
> Wikipedia page, and it proved to be useful and sustainable in the long
> term even in enterprise applications.
>
> I'm implementing (re-writing) such model again, with some tweaks. But
> it's not available for publishing yet.
>
> So to start simple you could start by modeling users, roles and permissions.
> Users has roles, roles has permissions, and you can query whether an
> user has certain permission at different points of your application.
>

> Esteban A. Maringolo

Thanks,

But still I do not see how I can map things like this ?

Roelof

Re: authecation question

sebastianconcept@gmail.co

On Sep 1, 2014, at 3:36 PM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, that is what Im looking for.
Do you have tips how to start simple ?

Roelof

make an instVar in User to hold symbols of the classes that are the main components of your app

later at login you make the main component to ask the logged user if it has that component and decide to render it or not

that sounds like the minimum

makes sense now?

Re: authecation question

jgfoster
8.a. on page 10 describes how to restrict some features to logged-in users and includes the following code:

        self session user notNil ifTrue: [ …

Modify this code as follows:

        self session user hasRightsToThisPartOfTheApp ifTrue: [ …

Now you have given some user rights to some parts of the app!

James

On Sep 1, 2014, at 8:46 AM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I found it but I do not give a answer to the question how I can give some user rights to some parts of the app.
>
> Roelof
>

> James Foster schreef op 1-9-2014 17:19:
>> See chapter 12 in http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial.html for a somewhat dated example of how to add login capability to a Seaside application in Pharo.
>>
>> James
>>
>> On Sep 1, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to try to make a financial app for a toy library.
>>>
>>> First problem I have is how to do this ?
>>>
>>> I want to have a admin user which is the only one who can provide a login name and password for users.
>>> After that the users can log in.
>>>
>>> Also I want to hide things from them so only the admin user can do that particular task.
>>>
>>> Can this be done with Cincom smalltalk ?
>>>
>>> Roelof

Re: authecation question

Stephan Eggermont-3
Or you can start complex. That is a lot less work to get started. :)

Take a look at the video introducing QCMagritte we presented at ESUG
(and the slides on slideshare, and the image with the demo).

The application we built has user authentication, roles & rights.
Feel free to borrow

Stephan

Getting Started with QCMagritte