authenticating Squeak to a proxy

Aidan Gauland
Hello,

 I am new to Squeak (but not OO programming), and reading the "Squeak by
Example" book, but I can't figure out how to get Squeak to use a proxy that
requires authentication.  When at home, this is not a problem, but at my
school, I can only access the Internet through an HTTP proxy, and it
requires that each student enter his or her username and password.  I've
found where in Squeak I need to tell it what port to use, and the server
name, but there's nothing there for a username or passkey.  Is there a way
to tell Squeak to authenticate itself as a particular user?

Thanks,
Aidan

Re: authenticating Squeak to a proxy

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:28 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

 I am new to Squeak (but not OO programming), and reading the "Squeak by
Example" book, but I can't figure out how to get Squeak to use a proxy that
requires authentication.  When at home, this is not a problem, but at my
school, I can only access the Internet through an HTTP proxy, and it
requires that each student enter his or her username and password.  I've
found where in Squeak I need to tell it what port to use, and the server
name, but there's nothing there for a username or passkey.  Is there a way
to tell Squeak to authenticate itself as a particular user?

Hi Aidan.

Try this:

HTTPSocket clearProxyUserPassword.
HTTPSocket useProxyServerNamed: 'my.proxy.server' port: 80.
HTTPSocket proxyUser: 'myUserID' password: 'myPassword'.

Also, you can manually download packages using a web browser and install them using Squeak's file browser.

If it doesn't work, email me back and I'll have a proper look this evening (NZ time).

Gulik (in Wellington).

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: authenticating Squeak to a proxy

Dave Raymer
I had this problem a while back ... you can find the answer here.

kind regards
 -- dave
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:28 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

 I am new to Squeak (but not OO programming), and reading the "Squeak by
Example" book, but I can't figure out how to get Squeak to use a proxy that
requires authentication.  When at home, this is not a problem, but at my
school, I can only access the Internet through an HTTP proxy, and it
requires that each student enter his or her username and password.  I've
found where in Squeak I need to tell it what port to use, and the server
name, but there's nothing there for a username or passkey.  Is there a way
to tell Squeak to authenticate itself as a particular user?

Thanks,
Aidan

A man's greatest treasure is his wife, she is a gift from the Lord
- Proverbs 18:22

Re: authenticating Squeak to a proxy

Aidan Gauland
Thanks!  This seems to work for me, but HTTPSocket doesn't seem to have a
method called clearProxyUserPassword, since I just get a "Message not
understood" error.

  -Aidan