autologin

mmimica
Hi.

I have written a WEB application where you have to login first. To make
things more user-friendly, I would like to enable optional auto-login
feature. The username and encrypted password would be stored in a
cookie. I have figured how do store and read back cookies, but I
wouldn't know how to skip the login screen.
My Login class extends WAComponent, and in its renderContentsOn: I'm
reading the cookie. The problem is that you cannot #call another
component while rendering. You also cannot register a WATask as an
application. How would you do it?

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

autologin

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Milan,

I have just done something similar.  I decided to not have a fully
automatic login.  I have a login screen with a "remember me" checkbox.  If
I find the cookie, I fill in the userId/password and check the box.  The
user is free to change anything on the screen.  If the login button is
clicked and the "remember me" checkbox is not checked, I kill the cookie.
If the login is successful and the "remember me" checkbox is checked, I
refresh the cookie.

I know this is not exactly what you are asking but if you like it, your
question goes away.

Lou

>Hi.
>I have written a WEB application where you have to login first. To make
>things more user-friendly, I would like to enable optional auto-login
>feature. The username and encrypted password would be stored in a
>cookie. I have figured how do store and read back cookies, but I
>wouldn't know how to skip the login screen.
>My Login class extends WAComponent, and in its renderContentsOn: I'm
>reading the cookie. The problem is that you cannot #call another
>component while rendering. You also cannot register a WATask as an
>application. How would you do it?

Re: autologin

Lukas Renggli
You can look at the code of Pier and how it is done there ...

The basic idea is that you override #initialRequest: in your root
component, query the request object for the authentication cookie and
modify the session state if the login is valid.

Lukas

On 1 August 2011 21:23, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Milan,
>
> I have just done something similar.  I decided to not have a fully
> automatic login.  I have a login screen with a "remember me" checkbox.  If
> I find the cookie, I fill in the userId/password and check the box.  The
> user is free to change anything on the screen.  If the login button is
> clicked and the "remember me" checkbox is not checked, I kill the cookie.
> If the login is successful and the "remember me" checkbox is checked, I
> refresh the cookie.
>
> I know this is not exactly what you are asking but if you like it, your
> question goes away.
>
> Lou
>
>>Hi.
>>I have written a WEB application where you have to login first. To make
>>things more user-friendly, I would like to enable optional auto-login
>>feature. The username and encrypted password would be stored in a
>>cookie. I have figured how do store and read back cookies, but I
>>wouldn't know how to skip the login screen.
>>My Login class extends WAComponent, and in its renderContentsOn: I'm
>>reading the cookie. The problem is that you cannot #call another
>>component while rendering. You also cannot register a WATask as an
>>application. How would you do it?

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: autologin

mmimica
I was going to do this too, but then I figured browsers can do this on
their own.

Louis LaBrunda wrote:

> Hi Milan,
>
> I have just done something similar.  I decided to not have a fully
> automatic login.  I have a login screen with a "remember me" checkbox.  If
> I find the cookie, I fill in the userId/password and check the box.  The
> user is free to change anything on the screen.  If the login button is
> clicked and the "remember me" checkbox is not checked, I kill the cookie.
> If the login is successful and the "remember me" checkbox is checked, I
> refresh the cookie.
>
> I know this is not exactly what you are asking but if you like it, your
> question goes away.
>
> Lou
>

>> Hi.
>> I have written a WEB application where you have to login first. To make
>> things more user-friendly, I would like to enable optional auto-login
>> feature. The username and encrypted password would be stored in a
>> cookie. I have figured how do store and read back cookies, but I
>> wouldn't know how to skip the login screen.
>> My Login class extends WAComponent, and in its renderContentsOn: I'm
>> reading the cookie. The problem is that you cannot #call another
>> component while rendering. You also cannot register a WATask as an
>> application. How would you do it?

Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: autologin

Johan Brichau-2

On 01 Aug 2011, at 21:04, Milan Mimica wrote:

You also cannot register a WATask as an application.

That's not true.
You can register a WATask as an application.

Johan