automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

12

automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    I need to delete all the patched Spur packages in trunk to ensure that correctly patched versions replace them.  Is there an automated way of deleting packages on trunk?  I've used the web interface, but it'll take all day :-(
--
best,
Eliot

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

David T. Lewis
On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 04:58:55PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I need to delete all the patched Spur packages in trunk to ensure that
> correctly patched versions replace them.  Is there an automated way of
> deleting packages on trunk?  I've used the web interface, but it'll take
> all day :-(
> --
> best,
> Eliot

I don't know the answer to your question, but if I look at the files in
the squeaksource repository, there are quite a few:

        davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcz | wc -l
        246
        davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcd | wc -l
        152
        davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcm | wc -l
        33
        davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur* | wc -l
        450

Is it really necessary to delete all of this stuff? Or could we keep it as is, and
work around the problems in some other way?

Dave

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Tobias Pape

On 08.05.2015, at 04:19, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 04:58:55PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>    I need to delete all the patched Spur packages in trunk to ensure that
>> correctly patched versions replace them.  Is there an automated way of
>> deleting packages on trunk?  I've used the web interface, but it'll take
>> all day :-(

There are ways to do that; with access to the sso-image, it would take me
roughly an hour to two do that cleanly.

Best regards
        -Tobias

>> --
>> best,
>> Eliot
>
> I don't know the answer to your question, but if I look at the files in
> the squeaksource repository, there are quite a few:
>
> davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcz | wc -l
> 246
> davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcd | wc -l
> 152

These don't count :)

> davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcm | wc -l
> 33
> davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur* | wc -l
> 450
>
> Is it really necessary to delete all of this stuff? Or could we keep it as is, and
> work around the problems in some other way?

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi David,

     it is always possible to fix it another way but it would be hugely expensive.  The only affordable way I know is to delete the existing files and upload new ones.  Can someone who has access to the box simply login with either ash or FTP and delete them with a single command?  If I had access to the box that is what I would do.

Eliot (phone)

On May 7, 2015, at 7:19 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 04:58:55PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>    I need to delete all the patched Spur packages in trunk to ensure that
>> correctly patched versions replace them.  Is there an automated way of
>> deleting packages on trunk?  I've used the web interface, but it'll take
>> all day :-(
>> --
>> best,
>> Eliot
>
> I don't know the answer to your question, but if I look at the files in
> the squeaksource repository, there are quite a few:
>
>    davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcz | wc -l
>    246
>    davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcd | wc -l
>    152
>    davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcm | wc -l
>    33
>    davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur* | wc -l
>    450
>
> Is it really necessary to delete all of this stuff? Or could we keep it as is, and
> work around the problems in some other way?
>
> Dave

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi David,

     and to be very clear, the *only* packages to be deleted are those matching

Collections.spur*
Compiler.spur*
Kernel.spur*
System.spur*

Eliot (phone)

On May 8, 2015, at 7:22 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
>     it is always possible to fix it another way but it would be hugely expensive.  The only affordable way I know is to delete the existing files and upload new ones.  Can someone who has access to the box simply login with either ash or FTP and delete them with a single command?  If I had access to the box that is what I would do.
>
> Eliot (phone)
>
> On May 7, 2015, at 7:19 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 04:58:55PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>>   I need to delete all the patched Spur packages in trunk to ensure that
>>> correctly patched versions replace them.  Is there an automated way of
>>> deleting packages on trunk?  I've used the web interface, but it'll take
>>> all day :-(
>>> --
>>> best,
>>> Eliot
>>
>> I don't know the answer to your question, but if I look at the files in
>> the squeaksource repository, there are quite a few:
>>
>>   davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcz | wc -l
>>   246
>>   davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcd | wc -l
>>   152
>>   davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcm | wc -l
>>   33
>>   davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur* | wc -l
>>   450
>>
>> Is it really necessary to delete all of this stuff? Or could we keep it as is, and
>> work around the problems in some other way?
>>
>> Dave

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

David T. Lewis
Hi Eliot,

See also the reply from Tobias:

> There are ways to do that; with access to the sso-image, it would take me
> roughly an hour to two do that cleanly.
>
> Best regards
>         -Tobias

Yes I have access and could delete the files, but it needs to be done
cleanly as Tobias says because the SS image has all of the information,
and the files are really just backing the image up.

I am away and cannot do anything until tomorrow, but I would rather defer
to Tobias on this one, as he is more knowledgeable about SS overall.

Tobias, I think we need to give you an account on box4. Levente
(box-admins lead) can do this, or I can do it tomorrow.

Note - there is a #box-admin channel on Slack that is helpful for handling
issues like this (as well as the box-admins list).

Dave

> Hi David,
>
>      it is always possible to fix it another way but it would be hugely
> expensive.  The only affordable way I know is to delete the existing
> files and upload new ones.  Can someone who has access to the box
> simply login with either ash or FTP and delete them with a single
> command?  If I had access to the box that is what I would do.
>
> Eliot (phone)
>
> On May 7, 2015, at 7:19 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 04:58:55PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>>    I need to delete all the patched Spur packages in trunk to ensure
>>> that
>>> correctly patched versions replace them.  Is there an automated way of
>>> deleting packages on trunk?  I've used the web interface, but it'll
>>> take
>>> all day :-(
>>> --
>>> best,
>>> Eliot
>>
>> I don't know the answer to your question, but if I look at the files in
>> the squeaksource repository, there are quite a few:
>>
>>    davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcz
>> | wc -l
>>    246
>>    davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcd
>> | wc -l
>>    152
>>    davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcm
>> | wc -l
>>    33
>>    davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur* |
>> wc -l
>>    450
>>
>> Is it really necessary to delete all of this stuff? Or could we keep it
>> as is, and
>> work around the problems in some other way?
>>
>> Dave

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Tobias Pape
Hi,

On 08.05.2015, at 18:03, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> See also the reply from Tobias:
>
>> There are ways to do that; with access to the sso-image, it would take me
>> roughly an hour to two do that cleanly.
>>
>> Best regards
>>        -Tobias
>
> Yes I have access and could delete the files, but it needs to be done
> cleanly as Tobias says because the SS image has all of the information,
> and the files are really just backing the image up.
>
> I am away and cannot do anything until tomorrow, but I would rather defer
> to Tobias on this one, as he is more knowledgeable about SS overall.
>
> Tobias, I think we need to give you an account on box4. Levente
> (box-admins lead) can do this, or I can do it tomorrow.

I already have :D

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Note - there is a #box-admin channel on Slack that is helpful for handling
> issues like this (as well as the box-admins list).

> Dave
>

>> Hi David,
>>
>>     it is always possible to fix it another way but it would be hugely
>> expensive.  The only affordable way I know is to delete the existing
>> files and upload new ones.  Can someone who has access to the box
>> simply login with either ash or FTP and delete them with a single
>> command?  If I had access to the box that is what I would do.
>>
>> Eliot (phone)

>>> I don't know the answer to your question, but if I look at the files in
>>> the squeaksource repository, there are quite a few:
>>>
>>>   davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcz
>>>   246
>>>   davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcd
>>>   152
>>>   davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcm
>>>   33
>>>   davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur* |
>>> wc -l
>>>   450
>>>
>>> Is it really necessary to delete all of this stuff? Or could we keep it
>>> as is, and
>>> work around the problems in some other way?
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Tobias,

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 08.05.2015, at 18:03, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> See also the reply from Tobias:
>
>> There are ways to do that; with access to the sso-image, it would take me
>> roughly an hour to two do that cleanly.
>>
>> Best regards
>>        -Tobias
>
> Yes I have access and could delete the files, but it needs to be done
> cleanly as Tobias says because the SS image has all of the information,
> and the files are really just backing the image up.
>
> I am away and cannot do anything until tomorrow, but I would rather defer
> to Tobias on this one, as he is more knowledgeable about SS overall.
>
> Tobias, I think we need to give you an account on box4. Levente
> (box-admins lead) can do this, or I can do it tomorrow.

I already have :D

The Collections.spur, Compiler.spur, Kernel.spur and Syste,.spur files are still on the repository.  Did you mean you already have permission or you already have deleted the files?  I'd like them deleted asap.  Can we perhaps meet (e.g. on Skype) to effect this?

Thanks!

Best regards
        -Tobias

--
best,
Eliot

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Levente Uzonyi-2
Hi Eliot,

If you can generate the files while they are in the repository (on the
server), then you can save the time waiting for someone to delete them,
because while you can't delete the files from the server, you can
overwrite them. This wouldn't help with the .mcds, but I think those are
not cached in the image, so deleting just the .mcds is probably a way
easier thing to do.

Levente

On 08.05.2015, at 23:17, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> If you can generate the files while they are in the repository (on the server), then you can save the time waiting for someone to delete them, because while you can't delete the files from the server, you can overwrite them.

To my knowledge, you can't.

> This wouldn't help with the .mcds, but I think those are not cached in the image, so deleting just the .mcds is probably a way easier thing to do.

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Levente
>
> On Fri, 8 May 2015, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>>    and to be very clear, the *only* packages to be deleted are those matching
>>
>> Collections.spur*
>> Compiler.spur*
>> Kernel.spur*
>> System.spur*
>>
>> Eliot (phone)
>>
>> On May 8, 2015, at 7:22 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>>    it is always possible to fix it another way but it would be hugely expensive.  The only affordable way I know is to delete the existing files and upload new ones.  Can someone who has access to the box simply login with either ash or FTP and delete them with a single command?  If I had access to the box that is what I would do.

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Levente,

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

If you can generate the files while they are in the repository (on the server), then you can save the time waiting for someone to delete them, because while you can't delete the files from the server, you can overwrite them. This wouldn't help with the .mcds, but I think those are not cached in the image, so deleting just the .mcds is probably a way easier thing to do.

I thought this too.  But when I tried doing this yesterday, and earlier, the files were not replaced.  I have a generated set waiting to upload as soon as the old ones have been deleted.

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 08.05.2015, at 23:17, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> If you can generate the files while they are in the repository (on the server), then you can save the time waiting for someone to delete them, because while you can't delete the files from the server, you can overwrite them.

To my knowledge, you can't.

+1.

--
best,
Eliot

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Levente Uzonyi-2
Hi Eliot,

On Fri, 8 May 2015, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Levente,
> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Hi Eliot,
>
>       If you can generate the files while they are in the repository (on the server), then you can save the time waiting for someone to
>       delete them, because while you can't delete the files from the server, you can overwrite them. This wouldn't help with the .mcds, but
>       I think those are not cached in the image, so deleting just the .mcds is probably a way easier thing to do.
>

> I thought this too.  But when I tried doing this yesterday, and earlier, the files were not replaced.  I have a generated set waiting to upload as
> soon as the old ones have been deleted.
I just reuploaded Collections-ul.625.mcz, and the server happily accepted
it. It even sent a mail about it.
It's possible that it won't accept packages with different content, but it
clearly accepts reuploads (which is a bug).

Levente

>       Levente
>
>       On Fri, 8 May 2015, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>             Hi David,
>
>                 and to be very clear, the *only* packages to be deleted are those matching
>
>             Collections.spur*
>             Compiler.spur*
>             Kernel.spur*
>             System.spur*
>
>             Eliot (phone)
>
>             On May 8, 2015, at 7:22 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>                   Hi David,
>
>                       it is always possible to fix it another way but it would be hugely expensive.  The only affordable way I
>                   know is to delete the existing files and upload new ones.  Can someone who has access to the box simply login
>                   with either ash or FTP and delete them with a single command?  If I had access to the box that is what I would
>                   do.
>
>                   Eliot (phone)
>
>                   On May 7, 2015, at 7:19 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>                         On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 04:58:55PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>                               Hi All,
>
>                                 I need to delete all the patched Spur packages in trunk to ensure that
>                               correctly patched versions replace them.  Is there an automated way of
>                               deleting packages on trunk?  I've used the web interface, but it'll take
>                               all day :-(
>                               --
>                               best,
>                               Eliot
>

>                         I don't know the answer to your question, but if I look at the files in
>                         the squeaksource repository, there are quite a few:
>
>                           davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcz | wc -l
>                           246
>                           davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcd | wc -l
>                           152
>                           davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur*mcm | wc -l
>                           33
>                           davidlewis@squeak-box4:/home/squeaksource/sso2/ss/trunk$ ls *spur* | wc -l
>                           450
>
>                         Is it really necessary to delete all of this stuff? Or could we keep it as is, and
>                         work around the problems in some other way?
>
>                         Dave
>

> --
> best,Eliot

Re: automated way to delete specific trunk packages?

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

[...]

Well, yesterday I uploaded a correct version of Collections.spur-tfel.624 and the server appeared to accept it, but when I downloaded the package from the server i got the old package.  So I don't know.  I think the safest thing is to nuke the old packages and upload freshly patched ones.

[...]

Keep Local vs Keep Remote when merging

Bert Freudenberg
(moving to squeak-dev)

On 12.05.2015, at 03:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The update stream wasn't smooth for me because there were numerous
> merge prompts where I wasn't sure whether I should "Keep Local" or
> "Keep Remote".  I selected Local every time, is that right?

No you want to “keep remote”, meaning you want the changes coming in from the new package to supersede the changes in your local image.

We wanted to give these buttons better labels for a long time.

How about “keep my changes” vs “discard my changes”? And “keep all my changes” vs “discard all my changes” instead of “rest local/remote”?

Some native speaker help us out, here ;)

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Keep Local vs Keep Remote when merging

Karl Ramberg
What about:
'Skip'  'leave method in image untouched'
'Load' 'load method from file'

and

'Skip all' 'leave all methods in image untouched'
'Load all' 'load all methods from file'

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 12:23:12PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> (moving to squeak-dev)
>
> On 12.05.2015, at 03:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The update stream wasn't smooth for me because there were numerous
> > merge prompts where I wasn't sure whether I should "Keep Local" or
> > "Keep Remote".  I selected Local every time, is that right?
>
> No you want to ???keep remote???, meaning you want the changes coming in from the new package to supersede the changes in your local image.
>
> We wanted to give these buttons better labels for a long time.
>
> How about ???keep my changes??? vs ???discard my changes???? And ???keep all my changes??? vs ???discard all my changes??? instead of ???rest local/remote????
>
> Some native speaker help us out, here ;)

+1

"keep my changes" and "discard my changes" sounds good to me, and is
easier for me to understand.

Dave

On Tue, 12 May 2015, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 12:23:12PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> (moving to squeak-dev)
>>
>> On 12.05.2015, at 03:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The update stream wasn't smooth for me because there were numerous
>>> merge prompts where I wasn't sure whether I should "Keep Local" or
>>> "Keep Remote".  I selected Local every time, is that right?
>>
>> No you want to ???keep remote???, meaning you want the changes coming in from the new package to supersede the changes in your local image.
>>
>> We wanted to give these buttons better labels for a long time.
>>
>> How about ???keep my changes??? vs ???discard my changes???? And ???keep all my changes??? vs ???discard all my changes??? instead of ???rest local/remote????
>>
>> Some native speaker help us out, here ;)
>>

> +1
>
> "keep my changes" and "discard my changes" sounds good to me, and is
> easier for me to understand.

That sounds misleading to me, because it's possible that those changes are
not my changes at all, but different versions of the same method from two
branches.

Levente

On Tue, 12 May 2015, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> (moving to squeak-dev)
>
> On 12.05.2015, at 03:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The update stream wasn't smooth for me because there were numerous
>> merge prompts where I wasn't sure whether I should "Keep Local" or
>> "Keep Remote".  I selected Local every time, is that right?
>
> No you want to “keep remote”, meaning you want the changes coming in from the new package to supersede the changes in your local image.

Chris is talking about the update of a Spur image, so - if I'm not
mistaken - he has to reject all changes - aka "Keep Local" -, because
those changes are from the non-spur branch (no idea how they get there)
and try to revert some Spur-related changes (e.g. throwing away the
minVal/maxVal class variables from SmallInteger).

Levente

> We wanted to give these buttons better labels for a long time.
>
> How about “keep my changes” vs “discard my changes”? And “keep all my changes” vs “discard all my changes” instead of “rest local/remote”?
>
> Some native speaker help us out, here ;)
>
> - Bert -

Re: Keep Local vs Keep Remote when merging

timrowledge
How about ‘accept this change’ and ‘keep current version’. As long as there is a clear indication of the changes it should be ok. Currently I try to remember it as ‘red is ready to come in, blue is about to be blown away’.

tim
Oxymorons: Resident alien

12