balloon help on halo

mechanic
Hello everyone, as a newbie here I have one or two queries that I need help
with. Firstly, although the halo dots appear when I click + Alt + Shift on
the desktop, the balloon help text does not. Balloon text does appear on
hovering the mouse cursor over menu item though. This is after a fresh
install of version 5.2 (Squeak5.2-18229-64bit-201810190412-Linux) on a
Ubuntu virtual machine.

The halo feature looks useful, but at the moment is unworkable since the
lack of balloon help makes the dots unreadable. Perhaps someone could point
me to a solution?

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html

Re: balloon help on halo

Herbert König
Hi, Chris

Welcome to Squeak (in no way official tho ;-)

5.1 is the last version that has Ballon Help on Halos. At
http://ftp.squeak.org/5.1/ you can get it as a first step.

I cced this to the dev list, as I personally consider it a bug which is
present on 5.2 and 5.3.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 07.10.2019 um 16:52 schrieb mechanic:

> Hello everyone, as a newbie here I have one or two queries that I need help
> with. Firstly, although the halo dots appear when I click + Alt + Shift on
> the desktop, the balloon help text does not. Balloon text does appear on
> hovering the mouse cursor over menu item though. This is after a fresh
> install of version 5.2 (Squeak5.2-18229-64bit-201810190412-Linux) on a
> Ubuntu virtual machine.
>
> The halo feature looks useful, but at the moment is unworkable since the
> lack of balloon help makes the dots unreadable. Perhaps someone could point
> me to a solution?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html

Re: balloon help on halo

mechanic
Thanks for that info., Herbert. I'm still trying to work around various
information sources on squeak, it'a not helped by a lot of out of date info
being out there. I'll try your suggested version later.

What are the group's suggested information sources for beginners -
particularly setup details, as the Smalltalk language itself is well-covered
elsewhere? I have an old copy of 'Smalltalk, Objects and Design' which was
the recommended text for beginners some years ago.

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html