beenHere is true

keith1y
Hello Lukas,

I recently hit an error condition in rendering a component. Having
clicked 'debug', and continued, the PRContentsWidget refused to display
ever again!

Looking around I discover that beenHere has been set to true, and is not
getting reset, by anyone.

To fix this I modified

PRContentsWidget-#renderContentOn: html

    beenHere ifTrue: [ beenHere := false. ^ self ].
    self heading isEmptyOrNil ifFalse: [
        html heading
            level: 1;
            class: 'heading';
            with: self heading ].
    beenHere := true.
    [ html render: self component ]
        ensure: [ beenHere := false ]

I am a bit behind the frontline at the moment, so cannot commit
effectively to the repo. It would be helpful to have a bit more
discussion as to where things are going, recent developments have been
hard to keep up with.

I would like to continue to plug Pier-Jetsam-Environment as the way to
go... The chosen Frame provides the central point for ALL configuration,
styles, js, environments, default content etc. Then we can publish our
examples i.e. a PierBlog example as a single class. This then provides a
standard mechanism for providing pre-packaged configurations. And as
explained before, the PRFrameAdmin is always available if you should
break your environment.

Finally, a suggestion, when a component fails to render, it is not
possible to use any commands on it, edit, move, remove etc. Even Damiens
remove children command is useless if the component that is broken is
embedded to a couple of levels. Could we please have something similar
to morphic's red box with a yellow cross. If an error occurs the debug
walkback could have a button, "Mark Component as Broken". Then that
component can be rendered as a red box, and the rest of the page will
remain usable. Could this facility be provided at the seaside level?

thanks in advance

Keith

Re: beenHere is true

Lukas Renggli
> Looking around I discover that beenHere has been set to true, and is not
> getting reset, by anyone.

It is getting reset at the end of the method. Your change introduces
some strange effects when displaying it recursively.

I agree that this code be replaced with something more stable, e.g. a
dynamic variable.

    http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=50

> I am a bit behind the frontline at the moment, so cannot commit
> effectively to the repo. It would be helpful to have a bit more
> discussion as to where things are going, recent developments have been
> hard to keep up with.

There were not that many changes in the past. All changes are
discussed and documented in the bug tracker.

> I would like to continue to plug Pier-Jetsam-Environment as the way to
> go... The chosen Frame provides the central point for ALL configuration,
> styles, js, environments, default content etc. Then we can publish our
> examples i.e. a PierBlog example as a single class. This then provides a
> standard mechanism for providing pre-packaged configurations. And as
> explained before, the PRFrameAdmin is always available if you should
> break your environment.

I don't use custom frames. I want to be able to do the whole setup and
configuration from the web. This is also the idea of Doru's one-click
images.

Of course nothing should prevent you from having different frames.

> Finally, a suggestion, when a component fails to render, it is not
> possible to use any commands on it, edit, move, remove etc. Even Damiens
> remove children command is useless if the component that is broken is
> embedded to a couple of levels. Could we please have something similar
> to morphic's red box with a yellow cross. If an error occurs the debug
> walkback could have a button, "Mark Component as Broken". Then that
> component can be rendered as a red box, and the rest of the page will
> remain usable. Could this facility be provided at the seaside level?

This sounds like a valid issue:

    http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=51

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: beenHere is true

keith1y

> There were not that many changes in the past. All changes are
> discussed and documented in the bug tracker.

what bug tracker?

No one mentioned this before

>     http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=51

Keith

Re: beenHere is true

keith1y

> I don't use custom frames. I want to be able to do the whole setup and

You have to put your initial configuration somewhere, at the moment it
is all over the place.
> configuration from the web. This is also the idea of Doru's one-click
> images.

1. That approach is just not scalable.

2 And you dont do your configuration from the web, you are using code to
set things up initially with initial content.

My approach doesnt change anything. It is still all configurable form
the web. However it is possible to put some initial content in a
sensible place, and control theme settings etc.

Keith

Re: beenHere is true

Damien Cassou-3

http://code.google.com/p/pier/
http://www.piercms.com/

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good