[bloc] shape size?

1234

[bloc] shape size?

stepharo
Hi

I want a square morph with a circle or a line at 45 degree inside
Now I do not get it.

I thought that I needed to specialize drawOnAthensCanvas: so I did

BlCell >> drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas

     super drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas.
     aCanvas
         drawShape: (BlShape new
                                 strokePaint:
                                    (BlStrokePaint new
                                         paint: (BlColorPaint new color:
(Color blue));
                                           width: 15);
                             path: BlCirclePath new).

Now I do not know how I can specify a shape size

So I will use another API than drawShape:

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Aliaksei Syrel

You don't want to draw a shape, you configure it. Shape can not be drawn, it is not an AthensPath.

cell shape: (BlShape new
  path: BlCirclePath new;
  strokePaint: (BlStrokePaint new
     paint: Color blue;
     width: 1)).
cell extent: 50@50.

Le 2/4/16 17:31, Aliaksei Syrel a écrit :

You don't want to draw a shape, you configure it. Shape can not be drawn, it is not an AthensPath.

cell shape: (BlShape new
  path: BlCirclePath new;
  strokePaint: (BlStrokePaint new
     paint: Color blue;
     width: 1)).
cell extent: 50@50.

But this is not what I want! As I mentioned in a mail that was sent but never arrived.
I want a square and this is why I did

BlCell>>initialize
    super initialize.
    self
        shape:
            (BlShape new
                fillPaint: (BlColorPaint new color: (Color yellow));
                path: BlRectanglePath new);
        extent: self extent

then I want to draw something extra this is why I overrode drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas

Now I stop but I find bloc too complex.

Sorry but I cannot lose time like that and just get frustrated at the end.
I will use the athens canvas directly and stay in morph for now.

Stef

On Apr 2, 2016 4:57 PM, "stepharo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I want a square morph with a circle or a line at 45 degree inside
Now I do not get it.

I thought that I needed to specialize drawOnAthensCanvas: so I did

BlCell >> drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas

    super drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas.
    aCanvas
        drawShape: (BlShape new
                                strokePaint:
                                   (BlStrokePaint new
                                        paint: (BlColorPaint new color: (Color blue));
                                          width: 15);
                            path: BlCirclePath new).

Now I do not know how I can specify a shape size

So I will use another API than drawShape:

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Aliaksei Syrel
I don't see any problem here. Rendering in bloc is as complex as athens/cairo, just check what methods AthensCanvas provides and use them. no magic.

Cheers,
Alex

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Aliaksei Syrel
How to make square element with filled circle inside:

1) Subclass BlElement -> BlCell
2) Override
drawOnSpartaCanvas: aCanvas
  super drawOnSpartaCanvas: aCanvas.
  aCanvas
setShape: self localBounds;
  setStrokePaint: Color blue;
stroke

3) Override initialize to have circle shape:
initialize
  super initialize.
  self shapeDo: [ :aShape | aShape
  path: BlCirclePath new;
  fillPaint: Color red ].
4) Open cell in word

Easy :)

Re: [bloc] shape size?

stepharo

How to make square element with filled circle inside:

1) Subclass BlElement -> BlCell
2) Override
drawOnSpartaCanvas: aCanvas
  super drawOnSpartaCanvas: aCanvas.
  aCanvas
setShape: self localBounds;
  setStrokePaint: Color blue;
stroke

3) Override initialize to have circle shape:
initialize
  super initialize.
  self shapeDo: [ :aShape | aShape
  path: BlCirclePath new;
  fillPaint: Color red ].
4) Open cell in word

Easy :)

Except that I do not understand it.
I do not understand why I should do
    setShape: self localBounds;

and why I should do shapeDo: in the initialize

This is totally unclear to me. So this means that I cannot program anything I want
with it. Imagine I could not find anything simpler than a box with a circle drawn on it
and even with the solution I cannot understand it.

You see in Morphic this is simple: you have a drawOn: aCanvas method and you know how to draw: aCanvas

I do not get the interaction between the draw and the initialize.
This is totally unclear.

Now I tried and this code did not work in the build 26 so I tried with drawOnAthensCanvas: and it crashed.
So I stop.
No need to reply to this email and thread.

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Alex,

I think that Stef is looking for a composition example. Could you please provide an example that is more canonical and shows the composition of two elements instead of playing with both drawOnSpartaCanvas and the shape?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stef,

I think the example that Alex provided is less advisable and it is misleading :). It’s indeed interesting that you can do what he shows, but I do not think this is the example that people should see first.

I got my hands on an image. Here is an example that is composing two elements:

element := BlElement new
        layoutStrategy: BlBasicLayoutStrategy new;
        shape: (BlShape new
                                path: BlRectanglePath new;
                                strokePaint: (BlStrokePaint new
                        paint: Color blue;
                        width: 4));
        extent: 500@500;
        position: 0@0;
        addChild: (BlElement new
                shape: (BlShape new
                        path: BlCirclePath new;
                        fillPaint: Color red);
                extent: 450@450;
                position: 25@25).
element openInWorld.

Is this what you had in mind?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Aliaksei Syrel

I'm pretty sure we don't understand a meaning of composition identically. This is how I understand it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_(visual_arts)

"In graphic design for press and desktop publishing composition is commonly referred to as page layout."

Design for press is inspiration of modern ui design techniques, for example material design.

Concentrate on "page layout". Then comes the following question: if composition is archived through layout of elements why Stef tries to manually draw shapes instead of composing two elements?

Howto:
1) Create an element with rectangle shape.
2) Create an element with circle shape.
3) Add circle element to rectangle element.
4) Change layout params of the circle element to match parent both vertically and horizontally
5) if needed set padding/margin.

There is even no need to care about drawing if it's complicated.

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Apr 3, 2016, at 12:46 AM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm pretty sure we don't understand a meaning of composition identically. This is how I understand it:
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_(visual_arts)
>
> "In graphic design for press and desktop publishing composition is commonly referred to as page layout."
>
> Design for press is inspiration of modern ui design techniques, for example material design.
>
> Concentrate on "page layout". Then comes the following question: if composition is archived through layout of elements why Stef tries to manually draw shapes instead of composing two elements?
> Howto:
> 1) Create an element with rectangle shape.
> 2) Create an element with circle shape.
> 3) Add circle element to rectangle element.
> 4) Change layout params of the circle element to match parent both vertically and horizontally
> 5) if needed set padding/margin.
>
> There is even no need to care about drawing if it's complicated.

That is exactly the point :).

I think for such scenarios we should encourage people to use composition of elements. I think that Stef has a use case of the way the element should look like in the end, and he wants to get it done, and I think we should provide examples that guide him to what the best route should be.

Anyway, this probably reveals the miscommunication.
@Stef: did you want to necessarily play with the low level drawing, or do you just want to get to an element with a rectangle that has a circle inside?

Cheers,
Doru

> On Apr 3, 2016 12:26 AM, "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> I think that Stef is looking for a composition example. Could you please provide an example that is more canonical and shows the composition of two elements instead of playing with both drawOnSpartaCanvas and the shape?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> > On Apr 2, 2016, at 8:17 PM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How to make square element with filled circle inside:
> >
> > 1) Subclass BlElement -> BlCell
> > 2) Override
> > drawOnSpartaCanvas: aCanvas
> >   super drawOnSpartaCanvas: aCanvas.
> >   aCanvas
> >     setShape: self localBounds;
> >     setStrokePaint: Color blue;
> >     stroke
> >
> > 3) Override initialize to have circle shape:
> > initialize
> >    super initialize.
> >    self shapeDo: [ :aShape | aShape
> >       path: BlCirclePath new;
> >       fillPaint: Color red ].
> > 4) Open cell in word
> >
> > Easy :)
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Innovation comes in the least expected form.
That is, if it is expected, it already happened."

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Igor Stasenko

On 2 April 2016 at 20:59, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I think there's a bit of misconception.
In Athens, shape representing any area you wanna fill with paint. Period.
It can be of any complexity, self-intersecting yadda yadda.. the main point is that it defines a region(s), that going to be filled with chosen paint during draw operation.
From perspective of morphs, as UI elements, most of them require some shape(s) to represent themselves on the screen. But there are morphs, that while still taking part in UI, don't need any shapes since they never drawn on the screen.
Another point is that nowhere said that morph can be represented by a one and only one shape period. Because as in your case, you want to, say, draw rectangle with paint A, and circle with paint B, then you basically need two different shapes (overlapping or not - not really matters) to represent morph on the screen.

So, the first point in misconception comes from 'self shape:'..
It is wrong from that perspective, because it is all fine, when morph using only single shape to represent itself.. but when you need multiple shapes, you are in trouble. It at least misleading, because provoking you to think that there can be only one.

Then you need to invent a 'composite shape' that basically a collection of shapes for a single morph, that will represent it on the screen.

A tangent to that, is that since most of morphs has mostly static geometry/topology and changing it very rarely and much less often comparing to drawing same shape(s) over and over again, it is right thing to define and initialize shape(s) and reuse them later in #draw method. Since you don't change shape(s), you don't have to generate new object(s).
From that perspective, this is nice, resource saving, approach.
But let us not forget, that this is just a 'statistical observation' and hence good to be a default setup. But it should not dictate you the rule(s).
You should still be able to define shape(s) on the fly or change it on the fly, dynamically.

Another problematic is that you may want to use different shapes for
a) painting morph on screen
b) defining geometry of the morph for UI interactions.
As an example, let say, you want a rectangle with circle in centre on the screen, but also want morph to react on mouse over/clicks only if mouse cursor is inside a circle, but not when it's over an area covered by rectangle.

What it means, that from UI perspective, you want from morph to define its shape, lets call it 'UI interaction shape'.. and from that perspective 'self shape:' is a good choice. But as example says, it has nothing to do with 'drawing shape(s)', which may or may not coincide with shape you using for UI interaction(s).

Because it defines an area, where UI stuff could happen. And indeed, you really need one, and only one. You don't need multiple shapes there, since it serves to answer a simple question: 'are my mouse in interesting region or not'?.
Like in your case, when you having box with circle inside , which is two shapes, but only one shape that can define an interesting region, it could be:
- intersection of
- union
- subtraction

And that could be completely different from shape(s) you may need to draw it on the screen.

Stef

On Apr 2, 2016 4:57 PM, "stepharo" <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I want a square morph with a circle or a line at 45 degree inside
Now I do not get it.

I thought that I needed to specialize drawOnAthensCanvas: so I did

BlCell >> drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas

    super drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas.
    aCanvas
        drawShape: (BlShape new
                                strokePaint:
                                   (BlStrokePaint new
                                        paint: (BlColorPaint new color: (Color blue));
                                          width: 15);
                            path: BlCirclePath new).

Now I do not know how I can specify a shape size

So I will use another API than drawShape:

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Igor Stasenko
Oh, yeah.. i missed one more kind of shape, you may want to introduce:
 - clipping shape.

For optimizing drawing operations, you may want to define a region, which guarantees, that anything you paint, nothing outside defined region will affect the screen. Because else, you will allow morph to render anywhere and therefore, it is really hard for UI subsystem to account damage on the screen.
But once you define such shape, then you can clearly tell, which portion of the screen may or may not be damaged and therefore act accordingly.

So, overall when we talking about shapes, we need to talk about three different kinds of them:

- UI interaction shape
- clipping shape
- shape(s) used to draw

those three may or may not coincide into single one, depending on complexity and what you wanna do..
But they can be completely different from each other and in order to avoid confusion and frustration, i would really introduce them in such manner, that users have clear vision on what happens with their morphs and how to achieve what they want.

Clearly, a single #shape: is not enough, if you want a non-conflicting representation of these concepts in UI.

On 3 April 2016 at 07:15, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From perspective of morphs, as UI elements, most of them require some shape(s) to represent themselves on the screen. But there are morphs, that while still taking part in UI, don't need any shapes since they never drawn on the screen.
[...]

From that perspective, this is nice, resource saving, approach.
[...]

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Igor,

Thanks for this nice description :).

Indeed, the Shape in Bloc is primarily a clipping shape that knows how to draw the path around and to fill itself. Of course, it also handles the interaction.

When you want to have a composition, you are encouraged to create multiple elements (morphs). This is a way to handle both more complicated interaction and more complicated drawing. Of course, you can still override the drawing method and draw whatever you want on it, but we would rather have a simple composition.

The disadvantage of this design is that indeed, is that it is not sophisticated. The advantage of this design is that it is not sophisticated :) and you get only one tree of compositions for the elements without another level of composition at the shape level. The main reason we went this route is because we want Bloc to pose as little constraints for the things built on top as possible without losing power.

Does this make sense for you?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Igor Stasenko

On 3 April 2016 at 10:18, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It makes sense, sure thing.
But it does not solves the problem.
As i explained before, a single shape cannot serve as both clipping, UI handling and drawing all together. Because it is three separate roles, which is good if they coincide, but causing a lot of problems, when they are not.
It is not matters how you compose or decompose shapes.. there is simply no composition which can turn rectangle into, lets say circle.
 it simply impossible to construct required clipping shape, or UI shape from set of drawing shapes, in case when they are completely different from each other.

For instance if i want morph with rectangular appearance (rectangle shape) to respond on clicks only within circular subregion inside that rectangle, i will be forced to create a submorph and then rewire event handling back to its parent. And that happens every time i need a different shape for mouse clicks than shape for drawing. Now add clipping here... and you will get a nightmare of bells and whistles, composing and whatsnot.

As for 'sophisticated'.. let see:
so, in my proposition, i do:
- draw rectangle and circle inside
- define that circle as UI shape
- define that rectangle as clipping shape
done.
In your design, i have to:
- make a morph with rectangular shape
- create submorph with circular shape
- wire clicking of a submorph to propagate event to its parent

or think about some kind of composition.. composing what with what?
does it union of circle and rectangle? or intersection? depending the way how you composing those two shapes you receive one or another outcome..
and that event wiring is extra work..
So, it may look that what i proposing is more sophisticated..
But i just wanna see a separate roles taking own places, nothing else.
I do not inventing new concepts, that wasn't there before:
- you need clipping,
- you need drawing
- you need UI handling

You see, it is not a framework, that forcing you to be 'sophisticated' .. it is domain itself. It draws a clear border between things that are optional and things that are absolutely necessary, since they are separate concepts and roles.

You simply cannot represent an infinite dimension of drawing compositions by a composition of UI elements. Only the simplest cases..
It is big mistake to imply that anything that you drawing on screen must be a full-blown UI element (which is morph is) or their composition.
It makes you quite limited in terms of what you can draw and what not.
Morph is UI building brick.. but it is not graphical building brick.. making such parallel gives more troubles than it solves.

To me concept where morph==shape==clipping shape==ui shape is just:
- you can have bike of any color, as long as it's black.

Can you enlighten me, what composition of black bikes can result in a green one?

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Aliaksei Syrel

If you want to change clicking behaviour you need to override one single method.

Everything you wrote with unreadable amount of characters is for nothing.

All mentioned stuff is possible.

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Igor Stasenko

On 3 April 2016 at 12:08, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you want to change clicking behaviour you need to override one single method.

it is not about just clicking behavior. Sure i can override every single method to get behavior i want, at any point in system i need.
Then what is purpose of making any design, if it all goes down to 'oh.. if you don't like something , just go and do it youself'?
Seriously?

Everything you wrote with unreadable amount of characters is for nothing.

Haha.. If you can't read something, it does not means, that there's nothing. It just you cannot read.

All mentioned stuff is possible.

Details, that statement requires. You seem don't want to demonstrate that your concept is sound. Because i wanna see how it goes.. So far i have doubts about it, which i tried to formulate in previous posts.. i may not understand in it something, something you understand.. and i wanna see where i wrong.
And in response i got nothing, no arguments, zero. This is exactly, what called 'nothing'.

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Aliaksei Syrel

Hello Igor

I would like to apologize for my bad tone in previous email. I misunderstood your good will to help and improve design by finding special cases that we didn't manage to cover. I indeed would like to show you that design sounds.

Let's play with more concrete examples. To start let's take one mentioned by you, about rectangle morph that answers to events only inside a circle.

I will create a repo for PUBLIC bloc experiments so that all of us could try it in practice.

Your help is highly appreciated and we are happy to see you :)

Cheers

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Alex,

Thanks for this :)

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Denis Kudriashov
Hi

I see clearly point of Igor. And for me it feels very logical. With such design you can lively change clipping area and interaction area for any morph (element) on screen.

Re: [bloc] shape size?

Denis Kudriashov

Hi

I want a square morph with a circle or a line at 45 degree inside
Now I do not get it.

I thought that I needed to specialize drawOnAthensCanvas: so I did

BlCell >> drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas

    super drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas.
    aCanvas
        drawShape: (BlShape new
                                strokePaint:
                                   (BlStrokePaint new
                                        paint: (BlColorPaint new color: (Color blue));
                                          width: 15);
                            path: BlCirclePath new).

Can it be implemented by special kind of BiPath? it will draw rectangle and circle inside.
1234