bootable Pharo image

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

I tried to prepare a bootable Pharo ISO image based on Tiny Core
Linux. Namely on MicroCore (kernel 3.0.3) that was extended with WiFi
support. There is standard Pharo 1.3 image with OSProcess and
CommandShell installed on the Smalltalk side. The resultant image has
about 37 MB.

Download:
http://www.windmap.cz/playground/pharo/pharo.iso

If you want to add it directly to your Grub menu, you may do it
without need of extra partition. To the grub.conf add something like:

title Pharo
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/pharo/vmlinuz vga=791 quiet
        initrd /boot/pharo/tinycore.gz

where vmlinuz and tinycore.gz are the only files needed from the ISO image.

Remastering:

unpack:
zcat tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d

pack:
find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../tinycore.gz

better compression:
advdef -z4 tinycore.gz

create ISO (you need unpacked original ISO image):
/bin/cp -pfr tinycore.gz boot
mkdir -p newiso
/bin/cp -pfr  boot newiso
mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
 -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o pharo.iso newiso

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: bootable Pharo image

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks pavel.
Jean-Baptiste may be this can be interesting for your project

On Nov 3, 2011, at 11:39 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to prepare a bootable Pharo ISO image based on Tiny Core
> Linux. Namely on MicroCore (kernel 3.0.3) that was extended with WiFi
> support. There is standard Pharo 1.3 image with OSProcess and
> CommandShell installed on the Smalltalk side. The resultant image has
> about 37 MB.
>
> Download:
> http://www.windmap.cz/playground/pharo/pharo.iso
>
> If you want to add it directly to your Grub menu, you may do it
> without need of extra partition. To the grub.conf add something like:
>
> title Pharo
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/pharo/vmlinuz vga=791 quiet
> initrd /boot/pharo/tinycore.gz
>
> where vmlinuz and tinycore.gz are the only files needed from the ISO image.
>
> Remastering:
>
> unpack:
> zcat tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d
>
> pack:
> find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../tinycore.gz
>
> better compression:
> advdef -z4 tinycore.gz
>
> create ISO (you need unpacked original ISO image):
> /bin/cp -pfr tinycore.gz boot
> mkdir -p newiso
> /bin/cp -pfr  boot newiso
> mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
> -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
> -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o pharo.iso newiso
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Re: bootable Pharo image

S Krish
Cool stuff, simple, zipping fast to boot and get to Pharo.. An exciting playground to build up Pharo tools for everything to make Pharo the GUI for the tinycore with:

* Run this with VirtualBox..  build out everything that is needed and push it back as embedded to a device..!.. headless / or headful as reqd.

What will be the license on this..? Though components are open source..

Obliged if Pavel can comment..

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks pavel.
Jean-Baptiste may be this can be interesting for your project

On Nov 3, 2011, at 11:39 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to prepare a bootable Pharo ISO image based on Tiny Core
> Linux. Namely on MicroCore (kernel 3.0.3) that was extended with WiFi
> support. There is standard Pharo 1.3 image with OSProcess and
> CommandShell installed on the Smalltalk side. The resultant image has
> about 37 MB.
>
> Download:
> http://www.windmap.cz/playground/pharo/pharo.iso
>
> If you want to add it directly to your Grub menu, you may do it
> without need of extra partition. To the grub.conf add something like:
>
> title Pharo
>       root (hd0,1)
>       kernel /boot/pharo/vmlinuz vga=791 quiet
>       initrd /boot/pharo/tinycore.gz
>
> where vmlinuz and tinycore.gz are the only files needed from the ISO image.
>
> Remastering:
>
> unpack:
> zcat tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d
>
> pack:
> find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../tinycore.gz
>
> better compression:
> advdef -z4 tinycore.gz
>
> create ISO (you need unpacked original ISO image):
> /bin/cp -pfr tinycore.gz boot
> mkdir -p newiso
> /bin/cp -pfr  boot newiso
> mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
> -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
> -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o pharo.iso newiso
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Re: bootable Pharo image

Pavel Krivanek-3
License? There is no new code in it except few shell oneliners :-)
Let's say MIT License.

btw. you can extend it with any tinyCore package. You can simply mount
the package file to the loopback device under squashfs and copy it to
the system root directory.

mount -o loop -t squashfs pci-utils.tcz outputDirectory

So you can easily build for example a small image with Chromium etc.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM, S Krish
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool stuff, simple, zipping fast to boot and get to Pharo.. An exciting
> playground to build up Pharo tools for everything to make Pharo the GUI for
> the tinycore with:
> * Run this with VirtualBox..  build out everything that is needed and push
> it back as embedded to a device..!.. headless / or headful as reqd.
> What will be the license on this..? Though components are open source..
> Obliged if Pavel can comment..
>
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> thanks pavel.
>> Jean-Baptiste may be this can be interesting for your project
>>

>> On Nov 3, 2011, at 11:39 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I tried to prepare a bootable Pharo ISO image based on Tiny Core
>> > Linux. Namely on MicroCore (kernel 3.0.3) that was extended with WiFi
>> > support. There is standard Pharo 1.3 image with OSProcess and
>> > CommandShell installed on the Smalltalk side. The resultant image has
>> > about 37 MB.
>> >
>> > Download:
>> > http://www.windmap.cz/playground/pharo/pharo.iso
>> >
>> > If you want to add it directly to your Grub menu, you may do it
>> > without need of extra partition. To the grub.conf add something like:
>> >
>> > title Pharo
>> >       root (hd0,1)
>> >       kernel /boot/pharo/vmlinuz vga=791 quiet
>> >       initrd /boot/pharo/tinycore.gz
>> >
>> > where vmlinuz and tinycore.gz are the only files needed from the ISO
>> > image.
>> >
>> > Remastering:
>> >
>> > unpack:
>> > zcat tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d
>> >
>> > pack:
>> > find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../tinycore.gz
>> >
>> > better compression:
>> > advdef -z4 tinycore.gz
>> >
>> > create ISO (you need unpacked original ISO image):
>> > /bin/cp -pfr tinycore.gz boot
>> > mkdir -p newiso
>> > /bin/cp -pfr  boot newiso
>> > mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
>> > -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
>> > -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o pharo.iso newiso
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > -- Pavel

Re: bootable Pharo image

S Krish
Agreed,

Just wanted to be sure.. but given that TinyCore is GPL.. it will be GPL for the OS part and MIT for the Pharo part..

but thx..

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cool stuff, simple, zipping fast to boot and get to Pharo.. An exciting
> playground to build up Pharo tools for everything to make Pharo the GUI for
> the tinycore with:
> * Run this with VirtualBox..  build out everything that is needed and push
> it back as embedded to a device..!.. headless / or headful as reqd.
> What will be the license on this..? Though components are open source..
> Obliged if Pavel can comment..
>
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> thanks pavel.
>> Jean-Baptiste may be this can be interesting for your project
>>

>> On Nov 3, 2011, at 11:39 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I tried to prepare a bootable Pharo ISO image based on Tiny Core
>> > Linux. Namely on MicroCore (kernel 3.0.3) that was extended with WiFi
>> > support. There is standard Pharo 1.3 image with OSProcess and
>> > CommandShell installed on the Smalltalk side. The resultant image has
>> > about 37 MB.
>> >
>> > Download:
>> > http://www.windmap.cz/playground/pharo/pharo.iso
>> >
>> > If you want to add it directly to your Grub menu, you may do it
>> > without need of extra partition. To the grub.conf add something like:
>> >
>> > title Pharo
>> >       root (hd0,1)
>> >       kernel /boot/pharo/vmlinuz vga=791 quiet
>> >       initrd /boot/pharo/tinycore.gz
>> >
>> > where vmlinuz and tinycore.gz are the only files needed from the ISO
>> > image.
>> >
>> > Remastering:
>> >
>> > unpack:
>> > zcat tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d
>> >
>> > pack:
>> > find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../tinycore.gz
>> >
>> > better compression:
>> > advdef -z4 tinycore.gz
>> >
>> > create ISO (you need unpacked original ISO image):
>> > /bin/cp -pfr tinycore.gz boot
>> > mkdir -p newiso
>> > /bin/cp -pfr  boot newiso
>> > mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
>> > -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
>> > -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o pharo.iso newiso
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > -- Pavel

Re: bootable Pharo image

Edgar De Cleene

On 11/3/11 19:39 PM, "Pavel Krivanek" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to prepare a bootable Pharo ISO image based on Tiny Core
> Linux. Namely on MicroCore (kernel 3.0.3) that was extended with WiFi
> support. There is standard Pharo 1.3 image with OSProcess and
> CommandShell installed on the Smalltalk side. The resultant image has
> about 37 MB.
>
> Download:
> http://www.windmap.cz/playground/pharo/pharo.iso
>
> If you want to add it directly to your Grub menu, you may do it
> without need of extra partition. To the grub.conf add something like:
>
> title Pharo
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/pharo/vmlinuz vga=791 quiet
> initrd /boot/pharo/tinycore.gz
>
> where vmlinuz and tinycore.gz are the only files needed from the ISO image.
>
> Remastering:
>
> unpack:
> zcat tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d
>
> pack:
> find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../tinycore.gz
>
> better compression:
> advdef -z4 tinycore.gz
>
> create ISO (you need unpacked original ISO image):
> /bin/cp -pfr tinycore.gz boot
> mkdir -p newiso
> /bin/cp -pfr  boot newiso
> mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
>  -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
>  -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o pharo.iso newiso
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Pavel:
Many things delayed my trial , but today I was able to burn and try the ISO.

WWWOOOOOOWWW

The most amazing piece of Smalltalk related I saw in a long time.

Just returning home from Smalltalks2011 , wish the next year you could come
to Argentina and I could thanks in flesh and give you as many beers you like

BRAVO

Edgar

Re: bootable Pharo image

S Krish
Sometimes small things can fire really big change..

This is a tiny but powerful kernel that can launch a thousand ideas..

I was working on a Android base as an idea.. / concept.. for touch screen.. with Pharo on top..  but Pharo / Squeak has a lot to mature to handle multi-touch. Give me that.. if that happens this concept is what will make a huge change in the future computing world..

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11/3/11 19:39 PM, "Pavel Krivanek" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to prepare a bootable Pharo ISO image based on Tiny Core
> Linux. Namely on MicroCore (kernel 3.0.3) that was extended with WiFi
> support. There is standard Pharo 1.3 image with OSProcess and
> CommandShell installed on the Smalltalk side. The resultant image has
> about 37 MB.
>
> Download:
> http://www.windmap.cz/playground/pharo/pharo.iso
>
> If you want to add it directly to your Grub menu, you may do it
> without need of extra partition. To the grub.conf add something like:
>
> title Pharo
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/pharo/vmlinuz vga=791 quiet
> initrd /boot/pharo/tinycore.gz
>
> where vmlinuz and tinycore.gz are the only files needed from the ISO image.
>
> Remastering:
>
> unpack:
> zcat tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d
>
> pack:
> find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../tinycore.gz
>
> better compression:
> advdef -z4 tinycore.gz
>
> create ISO (you need unpacked original ISO image):
> /bin/cp -pfr tinycore.gz boot
> mkdir -p newiso
> /bin/cp -pfr  boot newiso
> mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
>  -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
>  -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o pharo.iso newiso
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Pavel:
Many things delayed my trial , but today I was able to burn and try the ISO.

WWWOOOOOOWWW

The most amazing piece of Smalltalk related I saw in a long time.

Just returning home from Smalltalks2011 , wish the next year you could come
to Argentina and I could thanks in flesh and give you as many beers you like

BRAVO

Edgar

Re: bootable Pharo image

Stéphane Ducasse
If you want to help cleaning the event we did some pre studies with igor and the idea is to be able to handle touch event with an pluggable event infrastructure.

Stef

On Nov 7, 2011, at 5:43 PM, S Krish wrote:

> Sometimes small things can fire really big change..
>
> This is a tiny but powerful kernel that can launch a thousand ideas..
>
> I was working on a Android base as an idea.. / concept.. for touch screen.. with Pharo on top..  but Pharo / Squeak has a lot to mature to handle multi-touch. Give me that.. if that happens this concept is what will make a huge change in the future computing world..
>
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 11/3/11 19:39 PM, "Pavel Krivanek" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to prepare a bootable Pharo ISO image based on Tiny Core
> > Linux. Namely on MicroCore (kernel 3.0.3) that was extended with WiFi
> > support. There is standard Pharo 1.3 image with OSProcess and
> > CommandShell installed on the Smalltalk side. The resultant image has
> > about 37 MB.
> >
> > Download:
> > http://www.windmap.cz/playground/pharo/pharo.iso
> >
> > If you want to add it directly to your Grub menu, you may do it
> > without need of extra partition. To the grub.conf add something like:
> >
> > title Pharo
> > root (hd0,1)
> > kernel /boot/pharo/vmlinuz vga=791 quiet
> > initrd /boot/pharo/tinycore.gz
> >
> > where vmlinuz and tinycore.gz are the only files needed from the ISO image.
> >
> > Remastering:
> >
> > unpack:
> > zcat tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d
> >
> > pack:
> > find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../tinycore.gz
> >
> > better compression:
> > advdef -z4 tinycore.gz
> >
> > create ISO (you need unpacked original ISO image):
> > /bin/cp -pfr tinycore.gz boot
> > mkdir -p newiso
> > /bin/cp -pfr  boot newiso
> > mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
> >  -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
> >  -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o pharo.iso newiso
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -- Pavel
> >

> Pavel:
> Many things delayed my trial , but today I was able to burn and try the ISO.
>
> WWWOOOOOOWWW
>
> The most amazing piece of Smalltalk related I saw in a long time.
>
> Just returning home from Smalltalks2011 , wish the next year you could come
> to Argentina and I could thanks in flesh and give you as many beers you like
>
> BRAVO
>
> Edgar

Re: bootable Pharo image

S Krish
Sure, will get in touch some time shortly to pick up the thread..

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you want to help cleaning the event we did some pre studies with igor and the idea is to be able to handle touch event with an pluggable event infrastructure.

Stef

On Nov 7, 2011, at 5:43 PM, S Krish wrote:

> Sometimes small things can fire really big change..
>
> This is a tiny but powerful kernel that can launch a thousand ideas..
>
> I was working on a Android base as an idea.. / concept.. for touch screen.. with Pharo on top..  but Pharo / Squeak has a lot to mature to handle multi-touch. Give me that.. if that happens this concept is what will make a huge change in the future computing world..
>
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 11/3/11 19:39 PM, "Pavel Krivanek" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to prepare a bootable Pharo ISO image based on Tiny Core
> > Linux. Namely on MicroCore (kernel 3.0.3) that was extended with WiFi
> > support. There is standard Pharo 1.3 image with OSProcess and
> > CommandShell installed on the Smalltalk side. The resultant image has
> > about 37 MB.
> >
> > Download:
> > http://www.windmap.cz/playground/pharo/pharo.iso
> >
> > If you want to add it directly to your Grub menu, you may do it
> > without need of extra partition. To the grub.conf add something like:
> >
> > title Pharo
> > root (hd0,1)
> > kernel /boot/pharo/vmlinuz vga=791 quiet
> > initrd /boot/pharo/tinycore.gz
> >
> > where vmlinuz and tinycore.gz are the only files needed from the ISO image.
> >
> > Remastering:
> >
> > unpack:
> > zcat tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d
> >
> > pack:
> > find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../tinycore.gz
> >
> > better compression:
> > advdef -z4 tinycore.gz
> >
> > create ISO (you need unpacked original ISO image):
> > /bin/cp -pfr tinycore.gz boot
> > mkdir -p newiso
> > /bin/cp -pfr  boot newiso
> > mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
> >  -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
> >  -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o pharo.iso newiso
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -- Pavel
> >

> Pavel:
> Many things delayed my trial , but today I was able to burn and try the ISO.
>
> WWWOOOOOOWWW
>
> The most amazing piece of Smalltalk related I saw in a long time.
>
> Just returning home from Smalltalks2011 , wish the next year you could come
> to Argentina and I could thanks in flesh and give you as many beers you like
>
> BRAVO
>
> Edgar

Re: bootable Pharo image

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [Pharo-project] bootable Pharo image

On 11/7/11 13:43 PM, "S Krish" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sometimes small things can fire really big change..

This is a tiny but powerful kernel that can launch a thousand ideas..

I was working on a Android base as an idea.. / concept.. for touch screen.. with Pharo on top..  but Pharo / Squeak has a lot to mature to handle multi-touch. Give me that.. if that happens this concept is what will make a huge change in the future computing world..

In fact , with this Pavel think and some work we could have a Squeak/Pharo tablet touch screen

Wild idea:

Is still Darwin open and free ?
What about a Darwin base with Pharo / Squeak on top

Edgar