branching with monticello

sergio_101
 i am sort of foggy on how to effectively use branching with monticello. currently, we use branches daily. we branch off the master, and give it some name "like update_user_functions"..

 we develop away on that, and when it's time, we merge that back into master, and push out to the server.

 having named branches makes it very easy for us track what's going on in the development line.

 is this possible with monticello, or am i just missing an ideology?

 thanks!

Re: branching with monticello

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
sergio_101 wrote
 is this possible with monticello, or am i just missing an ideology?
There's not really first class branching in MC. The convention, which is somewhat supported by the tools, is to include an extra segment like this. If you want an issue101 branch, you save the package as MyPackage.issue101.MyName.mcz (instead of just MyPackage.MyName.mcz). IIRC these would be listed separately in the MC tools at least...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: branching with monticello

EstebanLM
in monticello, each package is itself a branch.

so you can have different approachs:

- you just rename your package to YourPackage-YourBranch
- you use different repositories
- yo do not do anything and you just realise that each package is a branch, so you can start from anywhere and merge with anything :)

Esteban

On 11 Feb 2014, at 16:46, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:

 i am sort of foggy on how to effectively use branching with monticello. currently, we use branches daily. we branch off the master, and give it some name "like update_user_functions"..

 we develop away on that, and when it's time, we merge that back into master, and push out to the server.

 having named branches makes it very easy for us track what's going on in the development line.

 is this possible with monticello, or am i just missing an ideology?

 thanks!

Re: branching with monticello

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

On 11 Feb 2014, at 19:16, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m worried a bit about merging. Won’t it damage some monticello meta data?

If you start with 2 version with correct meta data and ancestries, no.

This could be helpful:

  http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/monticello-merging

It all sounds very magic, but it is quite simple. Apart from the fact that merging often means fixing conflicts. That is true everywhere.

Sven

> Uko
>
> On 11 Feb 2014, at 18:22, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> you can… filetree is a file format. What you do with those files is up to you and your tools :)
>>
>> On 11 Feb 2014, at 17:30, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Can we get something from git branches with file tree?
>>>
>>> Uko

Re: branching with monticello

Goubier Thierry
No, but:

- merging with git creates conflicts in FileTree metadata (version,
methodProperties in each class) and those conflicts are messy to fix
(the version particularly) and loses merge information (the Monticello
history will not record the merge)[1] [2].

- merging with Monticello does not record as a merge in git.

[1] gitfiletree could solve that as it doesn't need the version and
methodProperties metadata, but it still writes them to disk to be
compatible with FileTree.
[2] gitfiletree will show you the merge in Monticello however (but
FileTree won't).

Thierry

Le 11/02/2014 19:16, Yuriy Tymchuk a écrit :

> I’m worried a bit about merging. Won’t it damage some monticello meta data?
>
> Uko
>
> On 11 Feb 2014, at 18:22, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> you can… filetree is a file format. What you do with those files is up
>> to you and your tools :)
>>
>> On 11 Feb 2014, at 17:30, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> Can we get something from git branches with file tree?
>>>
>>> Uko

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list