bringing up WAWelcome from scratch

Randal L. Schwartz

I have a Squeak 4.2 trunk image, which I've successfully loaded
ConfigurationOfSeaside30 into.

I see that it has the friendly WAWelcome package.  I want that.

I've opened a Seaside Control Panel from the World menu, but I can't
seem to get it to start with either Swazoo or Komanche and WAWelcome and
the other usual suspects configured.

What's the magical sauce to make it work?

See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion

Re: bringing up WAWelcome from scratch

Dale Henrichs
Randal,

What are the symptoms? If I'm not mistaken there is a longstanding bug with OmniBrowser and Squeak4.x... there is supposedly a fixed version of OmniBrowser floating around, but noone has updated the Metacello configuration with the correct version. I have asked folks to supply me with the information about the correct version to use, but those requests have fallen upon deaf ears...either that or there is no fix available....

Manually starting Kom should work as all of the unit tests are passing for 3.0.5 in Squeak4.x...

Dale

| I have a Squeak 4.2 trunk image, which I've successfully loaded
| ConfigurationOfSeaside30 into.
|
| I see that it has the friendly WAWelcome package.  I want that.
|
| I've opened a Seaside Control Panel from the World menu, but I can't
| seem to get it to start with either Swazoo or Komanche and WAWelcome
| and
| the other usual suspects configured.
|
| What's the magical sauce to make it work?
|
| --
| Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503
| 777 0095
| <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
| Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
| See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion

Re: bringing up WAWelcome from scratch

Hannes Hirzel
Randal,

I do not fully understand the question. You mean the attached screen?

The standard procedure to  get that is to open a Seaside control
panel, then you add an adaptor and start it.

The in a browser go to
   localhost:9001

and the welcome screen is there.

--Hannes

P.S. There is an issue for the 'Start' button not working properly in
Seaside in Squeak 4.3; see mailing list archive. Maybe it is something
similar.

SeasideControlPanel.PNG (20K) Download Attachment

Re: bringing up WAWelcome from scratch

Hannes Hirzel
And the welcome screen

On 6/29/11, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Randal,
>
> I do not fully understand the question. You mean the attached screen?
>
> The standard procedure to  get that is to open a Seaside control
> panel, then you add an adaptor and start it.
>
> The in a browser go to
>    localhost:9001
>
> and the welcome screen is there.
>

> --Hannes
>
> P.S. There is an issue for the 'Start' button not working properly in
> Seaside in Squeak 4.3; see mailing list archive. Maybe it is something
> similar.
>

> On 6/29/11, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a Squeak 4.2 trunk image, which I've successfully loaded
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside30 into.
>>
>> I see that it has the friendly WAWelcome package.  I want that.
>>
>> I've opened a Seaside Control Panel from the World menu, but I can't
>> seem to get it to start with either Swazoo or Komanche and WAWelcome and
>> the other usual suspects configured.
>>
>> What's the magical sauce to make it work?
>>
>> --
>> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
>> 0095

WAwelcome.PNG (37K) Download Attachment

bringing up WAWelcome from scratch

Johnny
I've never had a problem with the komanche adapter on 4.2. I have had
to remove and re-add an adapter that was not responding. you might
give that a try Randal.

--
http://john-mckeon.us/seaside

Re: bringing up WAWelcome from scratch

Johnny
Also, the install of the OB stuff changes the default system browser
to the OBBrowser which behaves a bit differently. Just so you know.

SystemBrowser default: Browser will set it back to the Squeak variety.

Happy trails
John

--
http://john-mckeon.us/seaside

Re: bringing up WAWelcome from scratch

Randal L. Schwartz

Dale> What are the symptoms? If I'm not mistaken there is a longstanding
Dale> bug with OmniBrowser and Squeak4.x... there is supposedly a fixed
Dale> version of OmniBrowser floating around, but noone has updated the
Dale> Metacello configuration with the correct version. I have asked
Dale> folks to supply me with the information about the correct version
Dale> to use, but those requests have fallen upon deaf ears...either
Dale> that or there is no fix available....

Yes... that was eventually the problem.

Executing "WAKom startOn: 8080" directly worked, but that control panel
was tempting and I wanted to use it.

So, anyone here with info to fix the control panel, this is your call to
action!

Also, the error walkback uses Pharo-specific calls to get at the stack
frame, and this fails with Squeak.  (I hate it when throwing an error in
my code throws another error in the debugging infrastructure.) I had to
fall back to the 4.1-all-in-one image for my demo today.

See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion

Re: bringing up WAWelcome from scratch

Hannes Hirzel
Yes this is the problem I had in April with Seaside in Squeak 4.3 alpha

Here is the start of the thread (my test, the same what Randal did yesterday)
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-April/159100.html

Andreas Raab fix
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-April/159102.html

Colin Putney said that he includes it
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-April/159106.html

and Dale Henrichs expressing his readiness to update the configuration
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-April/159117.html

I see that Colin Putney has put out a new version of OmniBrowser on
SqueakMap for version 4.3; maybe it is in there.

So the question is -- has the fix made it to a published version and
if yes, where is that.....

HTH
--Hannes