browsers vs guis

1 message Options

browsers vs guis

Tudor Girba
Hi,

This is a too long call for action :).

First, let me clarify one point. Glamour is primarily a Browser
Framework, not a User Interface Framework. The difference is in the
focus:
- a GUI Framework is concerned with placing widgets on a canvas, with
refreshing etc. Here you have complete control over how you position
ui elements.
- a Browser Framework is concerned with manipulating data. This is
based on a GUI Framework, but its goal is to provide a higher level
language for describing the desired manipulation. The components
offered should implement patterns of mapping navigation interests on
user interaction.

The core of Glamour has nothing to do with the way the UI looks, it
only focuses on providing the semantics for moving, transforming and
aggregating data.

Now, the provided presentations and browsers of Glamour are not yet
expressive enough, and neither is the rendering. This is what
sometimes causes the confusion: when you just want to get a certain
pre-defined user interface going, and there is not enough
expressivity, you will hack and as a consequence you will think that
the framework is not worth it.

I strongly believe in the core component model of Glamour, but I need
help with the rest. This problem is twofold:

1. What semantics do we want to have on the presentations and on the
browsers?
2. How to support these on in the rendering?

Help is needed here. In particular, I would need help for creating
Morphic widgets. At the very least, I would be interested in just
picking up your requirements of navigating data (not the user
interfaces you want :)) so that I can compile a list of requirements.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."